Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new wearable tech device revealed this week, called the "Tap," aims to simplify typing methods on devices lacking traditional keyboards (via Bloomberg). Made out of a soft foam material, Tap slips onto each finger of your hand and can translate 31 different taps into letters and numbers that are then transmitted to a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or tablet.

All Tap needs is any flat surface -- "a table, a chair, or even your body" -- and for users to overcome a slight learning curve. Each finger on Tap is designated with a vowel, so the rest of the alphabet, and the usual array of special characters and punctuation, can be input using a combination of various finger taps.

tap-bluetooth-keyboard.jpg

That might sound slightly complex, but its creators at Tap Systems, Inc say that it takes about one hour to master Tap thanks to the company's TapGenius App. The app is described as a mnemonic-based learning tutorial that combines an educational system for users to wrap their heads around Tap's new input style, with a gaming-style experience.

While Tap's current market purpose lies in quicker texting and typing within smart devices, the technology's creators see it as an evolving creation over the coming years. Possibilities include music creation, video game control, and other applications that could open up "a world of creative possibilities" for Tap's users. As it stands, the device already has some interesting practicality for visually impaired individuals, who could possibly learn Tap's new input system and become a nimble typist on a smartphone without the use of dictation.

"Tap brings an entirely new dimension to how we can interface with the digital world," said Ran Poliakine, Tap's co-founder. "Tap's fundamental technology is applicable not only to language, but also to music, gaming and control. It is a new modality that opens up a world of creative possibilities. We are partnering with creative developers and select OEMs to help us unlock its full potential. Our goal is to create an ecosystem in which our partners utilize Tap to deliver new and exciting experiences for our users.
Tap is currently in a beta test in San Francisco, with an expected ship date for a consumer model "before the end of 2016." The company will also be making a Tap Development Kit available to a few developers to begin implementing the technology in their apps, games, and even interactive AR and VR experiences.

Anyone interested can join Tap's waitlist to be the first to receive new information about the device as its development progresses.

Article Link: 'Tap' Wearable Bluetooth Strap Turns Any Surface Into a Keyboard

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I'm surprised no one has created A Bluetooth ring where you would tap morse code with your index finger. Kids would learn the tap code quickly and they would learn to tap really fast. Now that would be stealth.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This looks like it has more potential than the Apple Watch does, and like it could actually change the Apple Watch from being borderline useless to possibly worth buying.

But it's ugly and looks uncomfortable.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
I'm surprised no one has created A Bluetooth ring where you would tap morse code with your index finger. Kids would learn the tap code quickly and they would learn to tap really fast. Now that would be stealth.
Exactly. Maybe Tap Systems will realize it a bit later.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
This looks like it has more potential than the Apple Watch does, and like it could actually change the Apple Watch from being borderline useless to possibly worth buying.

There wasn't even an Apple Watch in their promo video.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Interesting concept and looks useful! I can see the company being bought out by the likes of
Google or Microsoft if this truly has potential.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
There wasn't even an Apple Watch in their promo video.

Was that not one at 1:20?

Huh. Well, whatever competing smartwatch that is is now more useful than the Apple Watch.

I added myself to the wait list for the TAP. #1890. I'm intrigued. If it's like, $20, then whatever, I'll just buy it. If it's $100, probably not. In between, I'll think about it.

Hm - 31 combinations. Some of these combinations are going to be uncomfortable. Anything that requires your middle finger and pinky, but not your ring finger to be down is going to be uncomfortable. Fortunately there's only 4 such combinations.

Also, this seems like it could be good for when your hands need to physically be somewhere, but you're free to shift your grip. Like when you're driving.

If there were ways to launch and control apps with it, that would be pretty awesome.

Last edited:

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Awesome, it's about time someone made somethzing like this, think of the possibilities instead of wasting our times touching these little letters on our screens. Now, what exactly is the tap sequenced for sarcasm?

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Looks like something in one of those airplane seatback shopping catalogs that people buy, and it winds up in a drawer after a naive purchaser realizes it they were duped into thinking it would be useful...

Last edited:
Reactions: l00pback

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
A lot of people are mocking this but I could see this being potentially useful as an accessibility device for people who are visually impaired.

Then there's this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stella

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Looks cool, actually. Having once used the "Graffiti" system on the old Sony Clie, I can say that it really doesn't take long to learn an alternate input system, and the results are far more powerful than you might expect going in. The traditional keyboard model isn't always the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.