Tapbots Launches Tweetbot 3 for Mac With Redesigned Interface, New Features

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 15, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Tapbots is today launching Tweetbot 3, a new and updated version of its popular Tweetbot for Mac app.

Tweetbot 3 features a revamped interface that was rewritten from the ground up for the Mac. Compared to Tweetbot 2, the new app features a cleaner interface with more white space, persistent icons for replying, retweeting, liking, profile options, and more, and an overall cleaner look.

[​IMG]

With the new timeline design, there are single-click tools for muting an account, blocking an account, or filing a report with Twitter so there is no need to go to a person's profile or open a profile in Safari to perform these tasks.

When viewing details for a particular tweet, there are now persistent icons that enable one-click replies, retweets, and likes for existing replies without needing to hover over the tweet.

At the left side of the app, there's a collapsible side bar that offers easier access to your follower count, lists, direct message conversations, and profile options. While the bar is expanded by default, pulling it to the left will collapse it back down so it's similar to the current Tweetbot 2 interface.

[​IMG]

The new one-click button for composing a tweet is now located at the bottom right of the app rather than the top right, and it offers quick access to images, location, and emojis. Mentions and Activity notifications have been merged into one single "Notifications" tab, but there's still an option to view these separately if so desired.

It's much easier to work with multiple columns in the new version of the app. Rather than clicking and choosing "open in new column," you can simply drag from the right hand side of the app to create a column, with a drop down menu at the top available to choose what the column displays. Closing a column is as simple as dragging it back to the left.

[​IMG]

There's also a new option for allowing media like GIFs and videos to autoplay right in the timeline, which is enabled by default (but you can disable it in the settings section of the app), and there are new one-click options at the top of the app for saving lists, searches, and DM conversations, plus an option to disable in-line media previews.

Both light and dark themes are available through the preferences portion of the app, and there are more options for customizing font size. Tweetbot 3 users will also notice that the app has an entirely redesigned icon, going from the standard square-shaped Tweetbot 2 bird to a rounded bird icon.

[​IMG]

Customers who are planning on purchasing Tweetbot 3 may be concerned about some upcoming changes that Twitter is planning to make to its APIs. Twitter initially planned to introduce these changes on June 19, which would have involved deprecating certain APIs used for streaming purposes, but has indefinitely delayed them following developer outcry.

If and when Twitter does opt to disable these APIs, Tapbots says that Tweetbot 3 and other apps will continue to function, but a few features could be slower or removed. Twitter does, however, have replacement APIs, and should access to these be provided to developers, all functionality that is being deprecated will be able to be re-added to Tweetbot.

Tapbots says that the worse case scenario on Mac is that notifications for likes and retweets will not be displayed, and notifications for tweets, mentions, quotes, DMs, and Follows could be delayed by one to two minutes.

Tweetbot 3 is available from the Mac App Store for $9.99. It is a paid upgrade from the existing Tweetbot and Tweetbot 2 apps, so existing Tweetbot users who want to use the new version of the app will need to purchase it. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Tapbots Launches Tweetbot 3 for Mac With Redesigned Interface, New Features

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

I'll pass. They did little to update version 2. Now they want another $10 for this version with little changed.

3. robertcoogan macrumors 6502

robertcoogan

I'm not updating. There doesn't seem to be much reason to.

4. Diamond Dog macrumors newbie

Diamond Dog

So, they basically re-skinned the app and want another $10 for it?

Nah. I'll use 2.0 or the web client over paying $10 for a minor update.

5. avanpelt macrumors 68030

It seems odd that they'd release the Mac version ahead of the iOS version unless they're using the Mac app to get feedback so they can tweak Tweetbot 3 for iOS before it's launched.

6. coolfactor macrumors 68040

New icon looks evil.

They had admitted in the past that the TweetBot for Mac was a clone of TweetBot for iOS, and with that came usability and user experience issues. It looks like they've rebuilt the app natively for Mac this time, which is a smart decision.

Not sure why you'd think that an iOS app should take precedence over a Mac app. Is the Mac now living in the shadows of iOS? Not for many of us. Or do you think that they should have released the update for both platforms at once to avoid marketplace confusion? I agree with that.

7. Agneev macrumors newbie

Just a left pane, and plenty of skeuomorphism there, should be a free upgrade. Money-minded people.

8. iAVERY macrumors member

I think I bought tweetbot 2 for Mac like two days ago. Dang...

9. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

I've bought it as I want to support the developers. It is only two people who make it and they need to make a living, you can't expect free updates forever.

Although there doesn't seem to many new features they've done a lot of work behind the scenes and new version is much better designed for Mac rather than simply reproducing the iOS version.

10. cknibbs macrumors member

I feel like the eyes are on the wrong sides of the head... makes the bird look angry.

11. chrfr macrumors 603

Tweetbot 4 for iOS was released in fall 2015. The iOS version has received much more attention than the Mac version.

12. mrushing02 macrumors newbie

mrushing02

3 is a crock. If you use multiple columns and accounts, this is worthless. You cannot have multiple account timelines running concurrently in columns anymore. A waste of my money

13. Jarrodbcall macrumors member

I bet you could reach out for a refund if it really was this week.
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2018 ---
    While I do agree this doesn’t seem like enough of an updated to incentive me to take the plunge, 2.0 was a free update, so it isn’t too wild that they would charge after such a long time.

14. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

The reason that each major revision of Tweetbot is a new purchase is due to Twitter limiting the number of users a third party client can have. TB2 might have been nearing that line, maybe.

15. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

Yes I have two accounts and used to keep a column for notifications for one of my accounts permanently on the right. Now the column only shows it for the active account which is a step backwards

16. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Easy. Number of users/potential users.

17. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Good point. I obviously haven't kept up with their version numbering scheme. It just seems like it's been a while since the iOS apps were meaningfully updated.

18. mrushing02 macrumors newbie

mrushing02

Just so annoyed that I bought it, trusting them because of their great work with 2. A absolutely waste to $10

19. nutmac macrumors 68040

Tweetbot 2 was a FREE upgrade.

20. iwataasks macrumors newbie

iwataasks

that's why so many app developers are moving to subscription based model

21. AppleInLVX macrumors 6502a

AppleInLVX

I'd buy it for the new icon. Always hated that circular trumpet beak thing.

22. nutmac macrumors 68040

I happily purchased Tweetbot 3 for Mac just few minutes ago. Tweetbot for macOS came out nearly 6 years ago. 3 years later, Tweetbot 2 for Mac was released as a free upgrade to Tweetbot 1 customers. So this is the very first paid upgrade for Tweetbot 1 customers.

New features seem mostly cosmetic. Twitterrific's poll hack is a notable feature omission, but I am happy to support the developers. I use Tweetbot nearly every day.

I am just happy that Tweetbot (or 3rd party Twitter app for macOS in general) is still alive and kicking.

23. mrushing02 macrumors newbie

mrushing02

I use it every single day, but the lack of multiple account timeline columns is a huge loss for me and a big omission

24. friednoodles macrumors 6502

So far:
    • Dark mode - yay!
    • Timeline filters - finally! I use this all the time on iOS... being able to filter by saved sets to find things again quickly, or narrow down to just things including/excluding media, links, and so on
    • Inline video and GIF playback - makes everything a lot faster to use without having to open viewing windows all the time
    • Multi-image media viewer - I'm going to count this as another "finally" because previously having to open images one by one was painful, now you can just swipe between them!
    • Better video viewer - good, the old way was incredibly clunky because you couldn't even see how far into the video you were or how long it was. Still needs Touch Bar support to make it consistent with the rest of macOS though...
    • Account/profile notes - this is something I've always wanted (lets you add your own private note on someone's profile)
    • Optional wider sidebar - quite handy for direct access to sub-areas without having to click in first, like directly going to a private message thread. Each section can be expanded/collapsed
    • Descriptions/captions for images - this is something that I know a lot of people have been wanting and it's also now finally supported

25. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

I'm hoping they can bring it back quickly as I can't imagine there is a technical reason why they can't do it, but if they have rebuilt then it may not be a simple fix to make the columns account specific.

Fortunately for me it is an annoyance rather than a deal breaker.

It's also a shame that the stats screen in the iOS version still isn't in the Mac version so I still need to use my phone to check my stats.