Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Target yesterday announced that all of its stores will begin accepting Apple Pay in the coming weeks, but it still won't be possible to add its store-branded REDcard debit or credit cards to the Apple Wallet app. REDcard is Target's loyalty program, offering an automatic five percent off most purchases everyday.

redcard.jpg

"REDcards cannot be added to Apple Pay as part of this rollout," a Target spokesperson confirmed with MacRumors today.

This means paying with a REDcard will still require inserting the physical card into the payment terminal or adding it to Target's mobile app and having the cashier scan a barcode at the checkout. The latter method requires opening the Target app and tapping on the Wallet tab to access the barcode.

targetwalletapp.jpg

Both options are less convenient than Apple Pay, which requires a quick double-click of the side button and authentication with Face ID on the iPhone X and newer, or briefly resting your finger on Touch ID on older iPhones.

Target already suggested that REDcards would not support Apple Pay on Twitter, but its "at this time" phrasing wasn't entirely clear.

Of course, Target could decide to allow REDcards to be added to the Apple Wallet app in the future. The retailer had avoided accepting Apple Pay entirely for several years until reversing course with this week's announcement, so it might be only a matter of time before it changes its mind again.

Article Link: Target Confirms Apple Pay Rollout Won't Include REDcard

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
Red Card must be a US Target thing?? I've never heard of it. I'm lucky all my rewards cards are in Apple Wallet so it's very convenient.

lego606

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I wonder if this includes the actual MasterCard they no longer offer applications for but still technically have, since that particular one isn't a store card. :confused:

cjboffoli97

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
Seattle, WA
Translation: red card is about collecting user purchasing data?

Exactly. People get seduced by the 5% discount. But Target profits significantly from being able to track and commoditize absolutely every purchase, not only for themselves but presumably that they can also sell to data brokers. Conversely, Apple Pay is designed with the user's privacy in mind. As I understand it, for each transaction a unique payment number is generated and your personal information and credit card number is not shared with the merchant. Great for privacy and especially for security. I don't know if Apple has negotiated with merchants who have store cards to allow them to pass along data in these scenarios. I'm inclined to say they have not, especially in light of Target's stance in this situation.

samlikesmac

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I’m assuming this is because it automatically combines the barcode for Cartwheel as well so one scan does everything for you. I would still like to see this done through Apple Pay via an NFC cartwheel pass but I don’t know if Target actually cares enough.

Reactions: Foxglove9

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Not really a big deal. If you use cartwheel you have to have them scan a barcode anyway. If you have the redcard in the target app they only have to scan one barcode and it applies cartwheel savings and the payment method all at once. Pretty convenient actually.

All in all I've saved thousands of dollars over the years by using cartweel and a redcard.

tabscott

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Target USA - only affiliation with Target Australia - is a licensing fee for use of the name and logo.

The Target Mastercard likely won't work on Apple Pay - as the Nordstrom Visa doesn't work on Apple Pay - and TD Bank issues both.

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
I wonder if this includes the actual MasterCard they no longer offer applications for but still technically have, since that particular one isn't a store card. :confused:

They upgraded my card to a Mastercard and when I tried adding it before I was denied. I'll check again once they are officially accepting apple pay.

Reactions: Sasparilla

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Since ApplePay assigns a device account number instead of your actual credit card number, Target would have no way to associate a RedCard ApplePay purchase with the card owner.

SupaDav03

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2015
Hopefully, like Kohl’s, they find a way to have their store card support Apple Pay. As it stands now, if still rather use Apple Pay & forgo the 5% savings if I have to choose one over the other.

Reactions: ssspinball

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
Exactly. People get seduced by the 5% discount. But Target profits significantly from being able to track and commoditize absolutely every purchase, not only for themselves but presumably that they can also sell to data brokers. Conversely, Apple Pay is designed with the user's privacy in mind. As I understand it, for each transaction a unique payment number is generated and your personal information and credit card number is not shared with the merchant. Great for privacy and especially for security. I don't know if Apple has negotiated with merchants who have store cards to allow them to pass along data in these scenarios. I'm inclined to say they have not, especially in light of Target's stance in this situation.

Yes. I think what you write is correct. And in the future this is the issue that needs to become more clear. People are giving themselves away to data brokers and having their life stolen by the like of Android. I'm always surprised that people don't consider this when telling me how well their 'google voice' or whatever works and can tell them things and run their life. And maybe people don't care.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
It does fit in with their strategy of encouraging people to not use regular credit/debit cards when possible (e.g. by having the 5% discount for REDcard in the first place), so I'm not particularly surprised. Maybe some day.

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Yes. I think what you write is correct. And in the future this is the issue that needs to become more clear. People are giving themselves away to data brokers and having their life stolen by the like of Android. I'm always surprised that people don't consider this when telling me how well their 'google voice' or whatever works and can tell them things and run their life. And maybe people don't care.

Personally I really don't care. It is nearly impossible to avoid being swept up by the "data brokers". Unless you pay in only cash at brick and mortar stores or I suppose use Apple Pay at brick and mortar stores are you avoiding it. Even then there is always something you do that is being or can be tracked. If you pay with a regular credit card at a retailer regularly they can still track your purchase habits pretty easily and associate it with a unique identifier. I don't entirely see how my life is being "stolen".

I'm not entirely immune from caring though. I won't use Google products for instance. I guess I just choose to give Target the knowledge of what I'm buying in exchange for savings. That isn't the only exchange happening though. They are also giving me savings in exchange for my loyalty and eliminating credit card transaction fees - it isn't purely about data collection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.