Target holding iPad 2 stock until April 14?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AndyfromTucson, Apr 10, 2011.

1. AndyfromTucson macrumors member

My wife was at Target today for something else and asked if they had any iPad 2's in stock. She says they told her that they did have some, but they were being held back until April 14 at 8:00 am at Apple's instructions. Has anyone else heard this? I can't imagine why Apple would do this, so I am thinking some Target clerk was confused.

2. philamac macrumors regular

not true as both my local targets were selling them over this weekend. only 3G VZ ones left tho...darn.

3. dru106 macrumors member

I've got my shipment status to be delivered on the 14th which was all of a sudden cuz it was scheduled to be here on the 25th

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

5. ogun7 macrumors regular

ogun7

Same here. The online inventory tracker said Limited Availability this morning and both white and black 64GB VZ models were in the case for sale at my local Target. I bought a white 64 GB VZ model from WalMart last week without looking at the box until it was too late. Will return it tomorrow for a 32GB ATT model that I'll give my fiancee once supplies strengthen.

6. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

It's probably too late, but that might be a way to thwart the scalpers? You know, if iPads were only sold on one day per week, limited to one per customer, and the lines were policed to prevent scalpers purchasing and then re-joining (or cutting in line) then the "real" customers would stand a fighting chance of getting one - provided they got there early. Unlike the current arrangement where the hard-core scalpers get in line at 2 am and capture the entire daily trickle of iPads.

7. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I actually think there is some truth to this theory. The online inventory of my local Target stores show some version of the iPad 2 in stock in almost every store.

However, when I call the stores and ask I am getting very mixed answers. I called every store in the area. Some of the stores would say "Yes, we have them in stock." Some stores would say they didn't have them when the online inventory showed them in stock. One store said "We don't have them, however they will be featured in our ad this Sunday." Which was a very strange and fishy answer. Another said they didn't have them and when I asked why they were showing online they told me something about the inventory being off from site-to-store stock which made no sense and sounded like a made up answer, then they proceeded to tell me they would be in Sunday or later.

It sounds to me like some Targets are holding stock of iPad 2's until Sunday because of some promotion they plan to run.

Very very fishy Target.

8. cleric macrumors 6502a

cleric

The EMPIRE (Target and Best Buy) are working together to cripple Apple until they move to Minneapolis and join the empire.

9. Version 1 macrumors newbie

Pretty sure this is the case. Used the tracker an hour ago and saw that the 16GB WiFi White showed as available at the Pflugerville, TX Super Target. Drove down there and saw 0 in the case so I asked an employee if they had them in the back. He scanned the DCPI on the case tag and it showed 5 in stock. After a few minutes in the back he came back and said they didn't have them?

I then heard someone on his radio say they do have them in the back so he went and checked with his supervisor whom I could overhear mumbling something about "Sunday" to him and quickly walked as far away from me as he could. The employee (who was cool about it) said no dice and he had no clue why it showed they had them and they "didn't".

10. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

First Best Buy and now Target. It seems there's something going on. I'm surprised no info has leaked yet. Come on you people working there!!! ;)

11. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

The 14th hold is true - my story

This is indeed true. Here's what happened to me today:

I've been on the lookout for an additional iPad 2 unit - a 32GB AT&T Black. I was utilizing the Target iPad Tracker script that has been posted on these forums. Earlier today I saw availability show up at a Target approx. 25 minutes away. Note that several Targets in my vicinity showed availability across a number of models, most notably the WiFi models.

I quickly hopped in the car and headed over. When I spoke to a Target employee in the electronics department, she said that they didn't have any in stock. When I informed her that the Target online inventory system was showing it in stock, she asked for the DCPI number, I provided it and she confirmed availability. She then indicated that someone else will have to pull it from "downstairs" but he was currently on lunch break. She asked me to return in 30 minutes. I went ahead and did some necessary shopping in store.

When I returned to the department, the store manager was there and indicated that they have been directed to hold iPad 2 inventory until the 14th. He was kind enough to allow me to purchase a unit given the fact that I waited the 30 minutes and the fact that the electronics employee indicated that I would be able to make purchase once it was "pulled". She wasn't aware of the hold policy.

Lucky for me I was able to get the unit that I wanted.

So the April 14th rumors are indeed true.

12. ejfontenot macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

Something is going on at Target. I just looked at inventory using www.ipad2locator.com and it showed inventory at nearly every single store in the DFW area. Mostly wifi models, but this is more inventory than I have seen here at target since all these inventory search tools launched.

13. BobbyBearCSRA macrumors newbie

Same thing in Augusta, GA

All the Targets in the area except one got wi-fi ipads since just before lunchtime here. Something definitly going on.

14. whiskeyred macrumors regular

Target Greatland in SW Austin had some white wi-fis as of 1p today

15. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Its not true. I bought a 16GB WiFi Ipad2 today at my local Super Target.
    (I bought it for a friend, using his credit card).

The clerk said that they had received 5 Ipad2's in today and the one I purchased was the 3rd one they had sold (1PM).

16. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

My target in so cali got (5) wifi 32gb black in today at 1pm. They said they were holding them till Sunday for their ad due to a corporate letter they recieved today. I was really upset practically in tears. Store manger, electronics manager and team lead would not budge even after I argued with them for 30 min. Looks like all stores are getting 5 each. Best buy must have an ad out on Sunday to that's why all this is going on. Some of you got lucky. They must have not of been informed yet.

17. goMac macrumors 603

Really? It's just an iPad.

My perspective is that I've waited for weeks, and that it'll be available when it's available. What's another few days when I've been waiting a month?

If I was in a hurry I could just order online.

18. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

Surprise gift for my autistic nephews birthday. That's why. I don't like to order online.

19. jesterscourt macrumors regular

Not entirely true, picked up a black 32 gig WiFi @ Target today. Of course, there were none in the glass case. And the electronics guy stated they didn't have any. MacRumors to rescue, the iPad2 Scanner is the reason I went to this one, it updated since yesterday, stating they had some available. Went onto the web on my smartphone to find the DCIP or whatever they call a SKU. Lo and behold, I purchased it a few minutes later after it came from the back. Signed up for their RedCard and paid virtually no sales tax. Score!

20. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I was able to get the White 16GB Wifi at one of the Targets around town, so apparently either not all Targets are "in the loop" or not all are participating. Like I said in my previous post, I called ALL the local Targets around town, about 10 total, and I received mixed answers over the phone. Some denied they had stock, some said they did have stock available and some said to check back Sunday (insinuating they were magically going to get some in Sunday).

Anyway, I'm done iPad shopping for now.

21. texmex03 macrumors newbie

They are holding inventory for the Sunday sale where it will be placed in the ad. I checked the ipad tracker and it showed one was available so I drove to the store and they said they didn't have one. I showed them evidence on my phone they admited they had one but had to hold until sunday.

I found the manager, let him know i drove 30 minutes to buy something that said available on their system so it should be available. He agreed and after some checking he allowed me to purchase the 64 black wifi.

Very happy!

22. elan123 macrumors 6502

ewwwwwwwwww

23. homerun360 macrumors newbie

Target employee's are playing games!

When I arrived at a Target in Las Vegas today, there was a group of guys in the store from Brazil asking for the iPad 2. They are in town for the broadcasting convention and took a cab to the store, about 20 minutes from the strip. The employee told them they were sold out and would have some more in Saturday. Another employee nearby said she thought she saw some in the back, but the employee assisting the Brazilians blew her off. I patiently waited for everyone to leave.

Then I found an employee with a scanner and asked her to check the DCPI number. She insisted they didn't have any, but after keying in the number, inventory popped up. I bought one and walked out of the store to put it in my car.

I went back into the store, did some shopping and figured I would buy another one. There was a guy in the electronics department that had just come on shift. He took me to the display case and showed me the sign that said they are sold out. I told him I wanted to buy one that was in the back. He then told me he can't sell the iPad's in the back because Apple told them to hold inventory until a specific date.

I guess it really depends upon who you talk to.

24. michael31986 macrumors 68030

25. whitesands macrumors newbie

After reading this thread I called my local Target in Pensacola, FL and was told they had none, I asked them to check the stock? number I got from the complete inventory thread and low ond behold the SA kind of surprisingly said, we have five.
    I drove down to the store and asked for an iPad 2 to be told again, they have none, I told the SA that I had called and gave him the stock number, he disappeared to check his stock, he came back and said "The manager needs to get permission to sell me one as they are holding them back for a promotion later in the week.
    The result for me was they sold one to me, yar hoo.

I have at last got my 1st iPad.

Ivan.