Targus TPU case for iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jedolley, Mar 14, 2011.

1. jedolley, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2011

jedolley macrumors 68000

I received my Targus TPU case tonight and took a few quick shots and figured I'd share some initial comments. Unfortunately, I don't have my iPad yet ( should be here Wed), so I can only give you my first impression.

The packaging is pretty basic and fairly easy to open and remove the case. So no need for excessive cutting and tearing, you get right to the product! I also like that it continues the tradition of adding the fake iPad, so now I can imagine what it's like having one again.
    [​IMG]

The feel of the Targus TPU is really nice. I don't have my Grip Vue anymore, but comparing from memory (it's been about two weeks), the Targus one feels nicer IMO. It's smooth, but still has a nice grip feel. It also feels lighter and possibly thinner, but still feels and looks like its on par with the Grip Vue in terms of quality. Also, before anyone gets worked up... The circle on the back is NOT a cut out. The back is a frosted clear similar to the Grip Vue (the clear one), but the circle is completely clear to showcase the Apple logo. I think that is going to look really nice once I get the iPad in it. The Targus logo isn't too large, but wish it were smaller like the Belkin logo was on the Grip Vue.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The cut outs look nicely done, but as far as fit and placement I am going to have to wait until Wed. to confirm if it's good. Also, unlike the HHI TPU, this one has a cut out for the mic. :p

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Overall my first impression is a positive one. I'm having a good feeling about this case, but will have to wait till I have the iPad to make a final decision. I also like that Targus did go crazy with the price. IMO these TPU cases should be closer to $20, and even though I think $25 is still a little high, it's a very competitive price compared to the history of other brand name TPU cases.

Let me know if you have any questions that I can answer w/o an iPad. I'll do the best I can to answer and will follow-up Wednesday night once I have the iPad.

2. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

thanks for the pics and initial impressions.. I'm looking for a case and I loved the belkin grip vue for my original ipad, so I wanted to get something similar. Where did you order it from? Also $25 bucks isn't bad at all, considering the belkin was $60 and most other ipad cases start at $40 for the cheap ones.

3. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

I ordered it from Amazon on Thursday. It was in stock for a very short period of time and unfortunately is back to a 2-5 week wait.

4. Sh0k macrumors member

Thanks a lot for the impressions and the pictures jedolley, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I use to love the Belkin Grip Vue and this one looks to be the same, for me this case plus a sleeve is the perfect combination for protection without compromising too much the looks of the iPad.

The one I ordered from HHI already shipped and your pictures gave me a great idea for the mic cutout while I get the Targus.

Where did you order yours ? Looking online, nobody seems to have it in stock.

Can't wait for your pictures with the iPad in it.

5. diacritic macrumors regular

For those of you with experience of these kinds of cases. Does the big cutout in the middle (and the smaller ones on the edges) allow a lot of dust to seep in? And, if the answer is yes, does it cause any micro-scratching?

6. celo48 macrumors 6502a

I have a similar case for my iPhone 3gs. Yes, dust goes in. If something hard goes in, it may scratch.

7. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

What I hate about clear cases is that they always turn yellow. I know it's probably the lighting but it already has a yellow tint.

8. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

As I stated in the write up, the circle in the middle is not a cut out. It's just not frosted like the rest of the back and it's to showcase the Apple logo. As for the other cut outs and whether or not they let dust in, I did not have this issue with the Grip Vue on my iPad 1. This tends to be more of a problem with Silicone cases mainly because silicone is more stretchy and does not usually have a tight fit. TPU cases, at least the good ones, have a better/tighter fit and is less prone for dust problems.

9. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

lol, it definitely does not have a yellow tint. What you are seeing is a combination of things.

My camera is not top of the line and neither are my photography skills (still an auto kind of guy). Also, the walls in this room are an ugly lime green and affect the color of the case due to the reflection. To top it off, I'm sure the lighting isn't the best either.

As for yellowing, my Grip Vue did not have this problem after a year of use, but I also cleaned it inside and out pretty regularly.

10. rspec7 macrumors member

Thanks for posting the pics! I've been looking for a case like this for my iPad 2.

As for the yellowing issue, it happened to my tpu clear case from Belkin that I bought for my iPhone 4. Turned yellowish after about 4 months with normal use.

11. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

thanks very much for the pictures. looks like a good solid case, I was going to buy one but think I will wait and see how the incipio feather turns out.

the logo thing bothers me alot on the targus, the feather on iPad 1 was so small you'd never know it was there.

12. jedolley, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2011

jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

Targus TPU review (continued)

I received my iPad 2 today from B&H and have had the Targus case on for a couple hours now. It was fairly easy to put on, but has a tight fit and doesn't seem like it will easily come off (unless you want it to). It feels really nice, and doesn't seem to add any noticeable weight to the iPad. The cut outs look really good and line up perfectly (even the Apple logo is centered perfectly within the circle).

I know it's only been a few hours, but I'm finding it hard to think of anything negative to say. If I were going to make any recommendations to Targus it would be:

- Add a tad more grip to the back... It feels good and the grip is sufficient, but now that I have the iPad in hand i'm pretty sure the Grip Vue had a little more grip to it.

- Shrink the logo. This is something I really don't care about personally, but I know others will. What I do like about the logo is that it's not on the surface of the case, meaning you can't feel it when your finger glides across it.

- Offer more colors. AFAIK, frosted/clear is the only option, but I can't help it to think how cool this case would look in smoke with the Apple logo showing through the clear circle.

That's all I have for now. I've included some pics, and feel free to ask me any questions.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. funkeruski macrumors regular

Looks nice. The Grip Vue was my case for the ipad 1. Hopefully this one doesn't turn yellow like to Grip Vue. Too bad I can't find this Targus anywhere.

14. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

thanks for review! looks nice.

still debating

smart cover + body guard on the back

or

this

or

wait for the speck smart cover

15. gigemzach macrumors 6502

The speck cover looks pretty awesome IMO!

16. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

no offense to the OP - but damn, that tupperware is ugly!
    :eek:

17. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

the mareware cases are designed to use smart cover.

18. FireSokar macrumors regular

I'd love to get my hands on a case like this. If anyone knows of a online store w/ overnight shipping for either the targus brand or another very similar clear case like this please let me know.

19. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

ordered mine yesterday for overnight shipping from amazon and got it today. really like it a lot, though i'll go case-less on my iphone. must've gotten the last one as they are not 3-5 weeks. lucky me!

i do have concerns about how it would work with a screen protector - maybe the dry-apply powersupport will work out okay with it.

20. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Looks pretty nice, but why do they have to have the cutout for the Apple logo? All that does is open up the back and expose it to scratching and dust. The case is clear and you would be able to see the logo through it. The best part about these tpu cases is that they seal out all dust and prevent scratching. When I took my iPad one out of its (yellow) Belkin gripvue, it was like it just came out of the box. I think with the cutout, you're just asking for scratches. I bought the iluv tpu case (flex gel?). It's pretty good, black $20. I'm afraid it may peel up the PS film, though. We'll see. My other complaint about the targus, Belkin and the iluv is that the camera adapter does not fit! You have to peel the case aside to use it. A real pain in the ass.

21. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

As I said in my post, this is NOT a cut-out! Most of the back is a frosted clear, but the circle around the logo is a transparent clear showcasing it, but it's completely covered.

22. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

My bad. I was thinking of those iPhone cases that have the cut out. Every time I see one I cringe. I'd be curious to see if it yellows like the Belkin.

23. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Just wondering, do you have the Apple camera adapter, and if so, does it fit without removing the case?

24. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

you do have to peel it back, unfortunately. if you're good with a dremel or xacto you can probably make the opening a bit larger to accomodate the adapter.

25. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Good to know. Thanks.