Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I have always been a user of the Franklin Planner and when I started using Smartphones I was using Plan Plus for Outlook in conjunction with Pocket Informant on a Windows Mobile phone, or a Franklin Planner program that at the time was part of Plan Plus.

When moving to iPhone when the iPhone 3G first came out there was very few programs available for task management. Appigo's ToDo was one of the first and I have been using it ever since. I now use the ToDo Cloud version which is the subscription based one. It does offer more features than the non subscription based one and overall is still a great program. The Mac version may look date but it still has the same functionality as it's iOS counterparts.

Over the years I have tried other task apps and each one has specific features that I like and therefore I now use three different apps, ToDo Cloud, OmniFocus, and Pocket Informant. Besides those 3 apps I also have tasks listed in BusyCal2 which syncs directly with Apple's own Reminders program. Each app has different features that I like and at this point just can't do without. Some may think that using so many different apps is a bit of overkill. Overall though ToDo Cloud always comes to the top of the list. Here are some of the top features of each app that I like

ToDo Cloud. Works great because you could set up tasks as checklists, or create a task to email or phone someone. You could set up a project with a list of tasks due on certain dates and those tasks could be set up as checklists or phone calls etc. With the ToDo Cloud syncing, syncing happens instantly across all of my devices. For the most part this is my go-to app for tasks. It was also my first introduction into the GTD methodology and although GTD is confusing at first once you start using it, can be quite easy and customizable.

OmniFocus.- This app is a powerhouse and I often go between this and ToDo as to which I prefer. This app has a higher learning curve than ToDo and their new OmniFocus 2 app for the iPhone is very nice. They are working on a new OmniFocus 2 for Mac, but there is no clear timeframe when that will be out. This app does not have the checklists feature like ToDO has, but it does have alternative ways to have them, which by the way could also be done with ToDo. Another great feature of OmniFocus is that it has perspective views and as a review feature where you can review all your projects, contexts and whatever on a regular basis so nothing falls through the cracks.

Pocket Informant. This app is available on iOS, not on Mac OSX. Of all the task apps available out there it is the only one that allows you to use the Franklin Covey method rather than GTD. Having used Franklin planners for years and attending and facilitating their seminars for years I am very well versed in their methodology. So this is the main reason I love this program. For those of you that are GTD users the app can be configured for that as well. It also is integrated with calendars notes and is pretty much the equivalent of having a daily planner with you.

As far as Busy Cal 2 goes, I like to use it for my calendar on my Mac over the Apple built in calendar, although it does sync flawlessly with the Apple Calendar so that works well with my iOS Calendar. As for the tasks the task list is good and basic, but one feature it lacks the most is that you can't have start date for a task. All the other tasks apps I use have this. Another feature, and downfall, is that it syncs with Apple's Reminders app. That inane of itself is good, but when you use reminders to check off a repeating task on iOS, it does not carry the repeat, it changes the task into a one time task and that's it. So I rarely use iOS to mark those tasks as complete.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Alright, I finally read up on "GTD". Turns out it's pretty much what I have been doing for a while now. I'm using Wunderlist, which works perfectly for me.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Alright, I finally read up on "GTD". Turns out it's pretty much what I have been doing for a while now. I'm using Wunderlist, which works perfectly for me.

I'm not sure if Wunderlist covers all the GTD aspects.
Either way, I plan on reading David Allen's book during my flight to the US next month. And yes, I made a task for that ;-)

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
@ScottNWDW: thanks for sharing your experience with various apps!
What I find interesting is that you use both Omnifocus, ToDo and Pocket Informant. Omnifocus is seen by many as a "gold standard" for task management. But it looks like it is also complex (learning curve) and it certainly is more expensive than other apps.

I also have a trial version of Pocket Informant. I like the way it works and its flexibility. Alas, there is no iMac version.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Over the years I have tried other task apps and each one has specific features that I like and therefore I now use three different apps, ToDo Cloud, OmniFocus, and Pocket Informant. Besides those 3 apps I also have tasks listed in BusyCal2 which syncs directly with Apple's own Reminders program. Each app has different features that I like and at this point just can't do without. Some may think that using so many different apps is a bit of overkill. Overall though ToDo Cloud always comes to the top of the list.

Very interesting to read about your workflow Scott, although I myself could never ever keep up with 3 different task manager apps.
Of course, I may keep looking for "the one" forever :D
OmniFocus looks too complicated for me, Pocket Informant on the other hand seems rather good.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
@ScottNWDW: thanks for sharing your experience with various apps!
What I find interesting is that you use both Omnifocus, ToDo and Pocket Informant. Omnifocus is seen by many as a "gold standard" for task management. But it looks like it is also complex (learning curve) and it certainly is more expensive than other apps.

I also have a trial version of Pocket Informant. I like the way it works and its flexibility. Alas, there is no iMac version.

Omnifocus is the "gold standard" and you are right that there is a learning curve. Once you put in the time and effort though it works quite well.

I too wish there was a Mac version of Pocket Informant. It's the only one that brings me back to my days using a Franklin Planner and I like that with that app I could still use the Franklin Covey method of prioritizing my tasks.

----------

Very interesting to read about your workflow Scott, although I myself could never ever keep up with 3 different task manager apps.
Of course, I may keep looking for "the one" forever :D
OmniFocus looks too complicated for me, Pocket Informant on the other hand seems rather good.

Thanks for the comments and although it may seem daunting using 3 different task apps, at this point it really is not. Just a few minutes a day in each one. The majority of my tasks are repeating tasks, therefore complete one and it automagically gets set up for next time.

Omnifocus does have a steeper learning curve than the others, but it is considered by many to be the "gold standard" and is for good reason. Pocket Informant is probably my most favorite of the three mainly because it can use the Franklin Covey method of task prioritization, but there is no Mac App available for it and I like having the ability to manage my tasks on the Mac as much as the iPad and iPhone. Therefore, of the three it comes in at number 3. If I had to rank the other two it would literally be a tie with OmniFocus having a slight edge.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Reminders :confused:

I just make lists of things to do. I remember the details or add them as notes?

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I stopped using Notesuite. I find the task management in this app too meager to support GTD. For example:
- a task can have a status (Active, Wait, Finished, ...), but you can't see all tasks regardless of status; this is a problem when you want an overview
- a task can be selected by list OR by tag, but not by list AND tag

Note taking is good (for me) in Notesuite and a great feature is that you can define tasks from within notes. But this functionality is outweighed by the disadvantages mentioned above.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I've used OmniFocus for quite a while now. I too was a bit intimidated at first, can't quite put my finger on why, but there's no need to be. And yes, it is expensive but for something I use many times throughout the day I'm willing to pay for the best.

I continue to try just about every task app that comes along. One of the main reasons I continue to stick with OF is the ability set recurring tasks from the original due date OR the actual completion date. OF is about the only one that allows you to have a task recur from the completion date and that is a must have feature for me.

Last edited:

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I've used OmniFocus for quite a while now. I too was a bit intimidated at first, can't quite put my finger on why, but there's no need to be. And yes, it is expensive but for something I use many times throughout the day I'm willing to pay for the best.

I continue to try just about every task app that comes along. One of the main reasons I continue to stick with OF is the ability set recurring tasks from the original due date OR the actual completion date. OF is about the only one that allows you to have a task recur from the completion date and that is a must have feature for me.

Well said. I don't mind paying for apps that I will use on a daily basis and OmniFocus is one of those apps. I use it several times throughout the day on my Mac, iPad and iPhone. The syncing never fails and I also like the fact that recurring tasks can be from the date of completion. I have also tried many of the task apps out there, but I keep sticking with OmniFocus. It was intimidating at first, but now it's just a natural flow for me.

My 2 favorite task apps and I like each for their own merits and unique abilities are OmniFocus and ToDo Cloud from Appigo.

hannesoth

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
Thank you for this thread. I will test the first one of your favorites since I'm getting an Android phone soon and will also get an iPad and already have a Mac. Does it work on PC also?

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Thank you for this thread. I will test the first one of your favorites since I'm getting an Android phone soon and will also get an iPad and already have a Mac. Does it work on PC also?

OmniFocus is only available for the Mac, iPhone and iPad
ToDo Cloud is available only for the Mac, iPhone, iPad and Android
Pocket Informant is available for the iPhone, iPad and Android

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008

Attachments

• screen1024x1024.jpeg
    screen1024x1024.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 110
  • screen1136x1136.jpeg
    screen1136x1136.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 108
  • screen1280x800-1.jpeg
    screen1280x800-1.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 110
  • screen1280x800.jpeg
    screen1280x800.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 131
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.