Tattoos

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nickspohn, Jan 16, 2009.

1. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

How about the "Eye Of Providence"?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My friend just got this one, and i really want it, but i don't want to copy him.

[​IMG]

Any ideas? I don't want a hardcore tattoo, just something simple.

2. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

The first one is a cool idea but the second I think is just to flashy.

Tattoos are permanent so the most important thing is to get something that means somthing to you and always will even as you age and your tastes change. I can't imagine having the second one as a middle aged man and having anyone take me seriously.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

for some reason, if i ever got a tattoo, i would never have one with color

i had thought about putting a latin phrase for something like" live the day" or perseverance on my inner bicep

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Oh... I wanna have a Irezumi on my back, covering almost 80%. I like traditional Japanese imagery of animals, particularly dragons and tigers. I did some research a while ago, even I've found myself a tradition Japanese tattooist in Kobe, still using authentic Japanese methods with the bamboo and needles, instead of the modern mechanical machine most westerners would use. I been to his studio and chatted about the price, artwork and consequence of ownership. I was given lots of information even saw examples of his beautiful work. I feel fairly confident to allow him to use my body as a canvas. He has over 30 years experience and everything is hand crafted, has done work for various people including local thugs and wanna be gangstars.. lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just can't get myself to go there and have it done. Mostly because In Japan, tattoo's ain't accepted. By having colour on your skin you're automatically banned from using Public baths, Hot Springs, Gyms and some Parks and in some rare cases, employers can fire you!!

I don't wanna be fired!!! I love my job, all it's perks and great pay... I like using on-sen and going to gym... I also love to have some colour too!!! My life's tough... :mad:

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The star is very cool, very unoriginal but still very cool. I know at least 4 people who have the exact same tattoo.

Don't we have a tattoo thread?

6. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

A guy at work got some Chinese symbol and he thought it was so cool until 1 guy who was from China told him it meant "Man w/ small pen*s". They guy who had the tattoo did research found out it was true... now that's funny!! I would never get a language I didn't know tattooed on me, besides what's the point is no one else can understand it?

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

ROFL!!!! That's F**kin great! :D

9. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

Proper tattoos are this, you should either get a great sodding dragon on your back or nothing at all.

The star on the elbow is not a sodding great dragon, so it looks like the elbow of any randon emo off the street. :D

If you are serious about joining the herd and getting a tattoo, have you thought about getting some done with Henna - that fades away after some time, so you could get one done with that, live with it for a while and take it from there.

10. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well I'm pretty positive i'm going to do the eye of providence.

what do you guys think? pretty original. im going to put it in the same spot as that diamond in the 2nd pic

11. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

To be honest, that star looks stupid and poorly done artistically. You could make one as nice yourself with just a felt pen. I wouldn't be caught dead with that thing on my elbow.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I have thought about henna and tried it a couple of times, despite it looking great and all it doesn't give me the buzz that needles, pearcings and inserts do... The reason for holding off isn't really about having the tattoo, it's how will my social status might change, cause unlike some of you people, i'm in and out of Japan for work and leisure... For those of you who've lived in Japan, you'll understand.

13. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

I understand what you mean. My friend and I are both Student Nurses, and she had an opportunity to go work in Japan after she graduated. She went to Japan for an interview (we live in Canada), and was told she couldn't be in an operating room (or hospital in general) because she had a tattoo (bar code on the back of her neck [not original, but she likes it]).

14. Badradio macrumors 6502

I didn't realise tattoos were still an issue in Japan. I just thought they were frowned on, but generally accepted. My wife and I are just talking about taking a trip to Japan in the next couple of years, and although my tattoo is easy enough to cover (inner bicep) it sounds like it'd be an issue if I wanted to take a swim. Thanks for the info.

BTW - I love the girl's koi tattoo you posted, but it illustrates my theory that a girl needs to be really pretty for a tattoo that big to look good. I think it's the contrast/contradiction that makes it work: delicate features/frame juxtaposed with a bold/dark design.

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You'll find lots of young rebellious natives wondering around sporting tattoos of no particular style, however in many cases, having them will prevent them from getting any professional positions in any high ranking organisation. If you're a non-asian, they'll probably forgiven, since your a visitor and a 'gaijin'. As for me, I am Asian and often they take me as being a native Japanese... so it's hard for me to get away with it.

16. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

how about the eye of providence?

17. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    If that's what you want, do it, wtf? ;) :p

18. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

I'd say get the Eye Of Providence, but get it somewhere small and hard to notice, seeing as tattoos look not-so-professional in some areas, and it would be horrible to lose a job to the Eye Of Providence :p

19. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Considering I want to work for www.ice.gov I've already thought about it. Probably enough so it can be covered up mostly by a sleeve.

Maybe that tattoo would help me get the job? haha

20. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Not wild about that either. It looks like an advertisement for Visine.

But what do I know? I have a bald eagle coming in for the kill with claws extended tattooed on my right shoulder. I've had it for 40 years and still like it. I got it to cover the initials of my then-girlfriends name that I tattooed onto myself when I was young and stupid. We broke up, and the rest is obvious history...

21. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Hahaha I never thought about the Visine logo.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think the Eye of Providence tattoo you like would look horrible if it were big. :eek: It would have to be on the smallish side.

23. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

24. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

If I were to get another tattoo (I probably won't) it would have to be something more transcendent and abstract rather a picture of something existing in the real world. I would also avoid existing symbols that someone else might use too, perhaps draw my own.