Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
I have a MacBook Pro (late 2015) running Mojave.

I used TurboTax (formerly MacInTax) but dropped it when they weren’t compatible with my old MacBook’s OS, and switched to H&R Block’s software, which has worked fine for the past 2-3 years for me.

Now, I’m faced with a lot more choices: TurboTax or H&R Block’s Mac apps, or using either of them online; there are other options such as TaxCut, but I like the support I get from the big guys, as I have a complex return. I like the idea of not using up space on my MacBook’s SSD, but for comparison—this is all approximate, based on my recall:

Turbotax online (mine is complex, plus I have a state) $100 or so
H&R Block online. $90
Turbotax download $75
H&R Block disc $53 (darn, it was $45 yesterday on Amazon) or $54 download
(Oh, and my bank, Key, offers TaxCut for free if I agree to let them have all the info so they can sell me services. No way!)

I care less about the $50 or so difference in price as in how well these work, how good support is, etc.

So would you put the software on your MacBook or go online? Preferred company?
Thanks in advance

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Personally I don’t like the idea of using an online service for taxes where all my personal data is in someone else’s hands.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I used to use Turbo Tax Online, but a few years ago switched to the retail software.

I have used it for 2018, but have noticed that certain things seem more complex then I remember it being before.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Here's my opinion.

If your taxes aren't very complex, then just do it by hand. The math is just arithmetic and not that difficult.

If your taxes are complex, then hire a CPA.

I guess if there are cases in the middle (I do realize that not everyone has the same level of math skills, so the middle will vary), then software could be helpful. I would rather use software vs. online, only because I wouldn't trust my data on a server.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
My return is simple so I use H&R Block Basic, $15.95 at Staples for the CD which has both the Mac and PC versions. I would never do my taxes on line. Can you imagine someone getting hold of your SSANs and all other personal info? :eek:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I have a MacBook Pro (late 2015) running Mojave.

I used TurboTax (formerly MacInTax) but dropped it when they weren’t compatible with my old MacBook’s OS, and switched to H&R Block’s software, which has worked fine for the past 2-3 years for me.

Now, I’m faced with a lot more choices: TurboTax or H&R Block’s Mac apps, or using either of them online; there are other options such as TaxCut, but I like the support I get from the big guys, as I have a complex return. I like the idea of not using up space on my MacBook’s SSD, but for comparison—this is all approximate, based on my recall:

Turbotax online (mine is complex, plus I have a state) $100 or so
H&R Block online. $90
Turbotax download $75
H&R Block disc $53 (darn, it was $45 yesterday on Amazon) or $54 download
(Oh, and my bank, Key, offers TaxCut for free if I agree to let them have all the info so they can sell me services. No way!)

I care less about the $50 or so difference in price as in how well these work, how good support is, etc.

So would you put the software on your MacBook or go online? Preferred company?
Thanks in advance

I have always used H&R Block so I can't say anything about TurboTax. I don't own a business, rent property or have deductions for self employment so I got the Deluxe version download (for capital gains / loses) and I paid $34.97 at Amazon. Check if you can use H&R Block Deluxe instead of the more expensive version. Note - I see the Mac download of H&R Block Deluxe is only $25.00 at Amazon now.

edit: Here is a comparison chart for the different H&R Block versions.

I had been using it online for awhile until I realized the download was cheaper and it included the state form (NH has an interest and dividends income tax).

I have no issues with it except it wants me to pay taxes :).

[doublepost=1549384425][/doublepost]
Same here. It also does a good job of importing your prior year return and using much of that to complete the current year return for you (assuming nothing has changed).

H&R Block does the same. It will also connect to financial institutions if you desire and automatically import your dividends and capital gains.

I'm assuming that most of the tax preparation software is similar now.

Last edited:

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I use the TurboTax app, and I run it in a macOS Virtual Machine. Since my VM's are stored on an external disk, this doesn't clutter up my internal boot drive. When done, I store the results in my Documents folder on my boot drive (the TT return file and PDF copies of my returns).

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
Thanks, all. I'll need to move forward, likely will use H&R Block software.

Some 35 years or so ago, my CPA told me he didn't like doing taxes and sent me to MacInTax, which became Turbotax. I used it for many years, more recently H&R Block. Both are good.

I have a pretty complex situation, as a semi-retired physician in a partnership practice, and H&R Block's tech support helped me realize last year that I needed to upgrade to Premium. They let me download it for just the difference in price between that and the lesser version I used.

Reactions: willmtaylor

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
I have used TurboTax online for several years now and here is why:
  1. With the download, you have to keep downloading whenever there are updates from the IRS, etc., with the online version it always is up to date.
  2. When you have to go back to a previous years taxes, the online version just handles it, when i had used the download version you had to then have that version installed on your system. This doesn't sound like a big deal, until you need to access the taxes from a year that will not run on your current computer.
  3. Everything is available from any computer, phone, etc. that I am willing to log in with.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have used TurboTax online for several years now and here is why:
As I mentioned I have been using the downloadable version, but you have me interested in trying the online version next year. Does the online version work pretty much the same and does it have all the same features? Any downside you can think of using the online version?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Any downside you can think of using the online version?

Yes. How reliable is Intuit on protecting your data from hackers or other nefarious attacks? I have used on line tax preparation in the past but no longer have faith that my personal data and information would be safe. In fairness, I suppose you could say the same thing about how the IRS is protecting your returns from hackers.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes. How reliable is Intuit on protecting your data from hackers or other nefarious attacks? I have used on line tax preparation in the past but no longer have faith that my personal data and information would be safe. In fairness, I suppose you could say the same thing about how the IRS is protecting your returns from hackers.
Good point...

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Re: online TurboTax: will add that if doing more than one return, each return will be a separate fee vs up to five returns with download. State return is an additional $39.99 per state. Can't just do Federal return: TT locks your tax file until you buy a state version (ie. can't get a non-watermarked print-out, can't eFile).

Been a while, but seem to recall that unless you save your tax file to a computer after done filing, TT's "vault" option will lock your previous year(s) until you pay for uplift to access the old file(s) (but that might just be the 1040EZ/free product vs the more expensive products that might allow access to the old file).

EDIT: looks like this year, TT is no longer locking previous year's return for import from their vault, so, step forward in that regard. But still wonder about getting a PDF copy of one's return a year or two down the road when needed (ie. is that still locked down; TT is sneaky with the additional fees).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.