Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcomp112

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
fault of LG vs Apple on technicals aside, I find removing negative customer reviews a deceptive practice. Consumers ought to know.

Apple removed the negative reviews so in this case I do think Apple deserves some blame.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
That was a great argument until about 5 years ago. Yes I've used Windows... more importantly I've used Windows 10, which is extremely stable, user friendly, and efficient. You're the reason Apple rests in their complacency, because they think enough people still will compare macOS to the Windows of the past.

Apple has changed very little in 10 years of macOS

Microsoft has made leaps and strides in 10 years of Windows

Sorry, but I have to disagree, and it's why people who have always hated windows are starting to take it seriously as an option for the seemingly stagnant hardware and software at Apple.

exactly right. And a reason why I am seriously considering an all windows set up for my business. Will give the iMac a chance to make amends, otherwise windows here we come [MS surface line, nothing else].

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
It refuses to wake from sleep ? You have to disconnect the MacBook and do a hard power down. Then start the MacBook again.

I do hope it's a software fix and we can all go on our merry way. The "limitations" are serious issues currently, not little problems.
Where did that first part of your post come from? I don't own a tbMBP, I was just stating what I've read about the 13'' tbMBP powering the 5k.

The issue is that it stutters and show it's performance limitations when performing intensive tasks on the machine when also powering the 5k, or so I've read.

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
That was a great argument until about 5 years ago. Yes I've used Windows... more importantly I've used Windows 10, which is extremely stable, user friendly, and efficient.

Except I had to do a complete reinstall of 10 because updating from 8.1 caused an issue with 100% disk use, and complete system lock up, on my machine, which was steadily getting worse and worse. I tried every solution I could find short of a reinstall, and none of them worked. Apparently it was related to the background system defrag having problems with SSDs used as boot drives. It was supposed to be turned off when updating to 10, but it wasn't for me, and a lot of other people with the same problem.

So, yes, MS has made enormous strides, and Windows 10 is, all around, a pretty good OS. But I've been using OS X/macOS since 10.0 (and Apple operating systems since System 6) and the only time I've ever had to reinstall was in 10.1, when I was poking around in /System/Library and nuked some files I was never meant to touch.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Except I had to do a complete reinstall of 10 because updating from 8.1 caused an issue with 100% disk use, and complete system lock up, on my machine, which was steadily getting worse and worse. I tried every solution I could find short of a reinstall, and none of them worked. Apparently it was related to the background system defrag having problems with SSDs used as boot drives. It was supposed to be turned off when updating to 10, but it wasn't for me, and a lot of other people with the same problem.

So, yes, MS has made enormous strides, and Windows 10 is, all around, a pretty good OS. But I've been using OS X/macOS since 10.0 (and Apple operating systems since System 6) and the only time I've ever had to reinstall was in 10.1, when I was poking around in /System/Library and nuked some files I was never meant to touch.

Not saying Windows is perfect, I'm simply saying they've made a heck of a lot more progress in the last 10 years than macOS has. macOS is relatively unchanged visually and functionally, whereas Windows 10 is night and day vs say 95, XP, 7, etc.

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
Not saying Windows is perfect, I'm simply saying they've made a heck of a lot more progress in the last 10 years than macOS has. macOS is relatively unchanged visually and functionally, whereas Windows 10 is night and day vs say 95, XP, 7, etc.

Windows LOOKS very different than it did in the past, which I think is a good thing. However, it's changed very little since Win 7 in terms of functionality, which is why most corporate installations are still on 7. I can't think of a single big app which won't run on 7, games included. Obviously, if you want DX12 you will need to run 10, but we're a ways away from seeing serious DX12 adoption.

There have been some pretty big changes under the hood in OS X/macOS, but most of them are invisible to the end user.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Windows LOOKS very different than it did in the past, which I think is a good thing. However, it's changed very little since Win 7 in terms of functionality, which is why most corporate installations are still on 7. I can't think of a single big app which won't run on 7, games included. Obviously, if you want DX12 you will need to run 10, but we're a ways away from seeing serious DX12 adoption.

There have been some pretty big changes under the hood in OS X/macOS, but most of them are invisible to the end user.

Windows 10 is just so versatile, can be run on a tablet or a desktop or a laptop. Can be used on a standard interface, or can be used with a touch screen. It's so very customizable vs macOS.

It's kinda like iOS vs Android. Sure, we all believe iOS is better, but Android is so very customizable, and sooner or later people get tired of staring at the same screen with zero ability to customize. And iOS and macOS share their inability to be really customized (widgets, different home screen layouts, etc). I have just gotten bored. Yeah, "it just works" is what's kept me for so long. But more and more, windows is becoming that way too.

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
Windows 10 is just so versatile, can be run on a tablet or a desktop or a laptop. Can be used on a standard interface, or can be used with a touch screen. It's so very customizable vs macOS.

There's a reason Apple separated iOS and macOS, and that no one ships desktops with Android: touch and traditional WIMP are entirely different interface paradigms, and need very different HIGs. Windows' touch controls feel pasted on instead of organic. Ever try to use any of the Office apps solely with a touchscreen? It's like trying to type with boxing gloves: you get menus nested in menus just to to simple things. Try to use the Control Panel without a keyboard and mouse without screaming. Even the size of the window controls is way too big for WIMP, but they have to be that large for touch.

Which brings us to number two: Windows still feels like it was designed by committee. There are two different places to change system settings, Settings and the Control Panel. There are three different window management shortcuts, all of which work in different ways, and the most useful (Task View) can't be bound to a mouse button. There's no native text editor in Powershell. I had to transfer a .cfg file to my Mac and edit it in pico, because using Notepad kept messing up the formatting. There's no user feedback when launching an application. Has it crashed? Is it just taking a long time? I dunno.

And on and on.

I like Windows 10, but to argue that it's better than macOS just because it can do more things is, IMO, silly. A Swiss Army knife can do more than my chef's knife, but I know which one I use to make dinner. In terms of usability I'd put Windows third, after macOS and a good Gnome Linux distro.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada

I have owned lots of Macs, and Windows computers including every surface pro since the 2, and I can attest that windows has improved, but is nowhere near as stable or cosmetically appealing as Mac OS.

Reactions: chiamac

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
I have owned lots of Macs, and Windows computers including every surface pro since the 2, and I can attest that windows has improved, but is nowhere near as stable or cosmetically appealing as Mac OS.

Well cosmetics is something that's absolutely 100% subjective, so your testimony is purely opinion. Though not sure how if you have a Surface 2 running windows 10 you don't think the interface looks nicer than macOS LOL
[doublepost=1485518635][/doublepost]
There's a reason Apple separated iOS and macOS, and that no one ships desktops with Android: touch and traditional WIMP are entirely different interface paradigms, and need very different HIGs. Windows' touch controls feel pasted on instead of organic. Ever try to use any of the Office apps solely with a touchscreen? It's like trying to type with boxing gloves: you get menus nested in menus just to to simple things. Try to use the Control Panel without a keyboard and mouse without screaming. Even the size of the window controls is way too big for WIMP, but they have to be that large for touch.

Which brings us to number two: Windows still feels like it was designed by committee. There are two different places to change system settings, Settings and the Control Panel. There are three different window management shortcuts, all of which work in different ways, and the most useful (Task View) can't be bound to a mouse button. There's no native text editor in Powershell. I had to transfer a .cfg file to my Mac and edit it in pico, because using Notepad kept messing up the formatting. There's no user feedback when launching an application. Has it crashed? Is it just taking a long time? I dunno.

And on and on.

I like Windows 10, but to argue that it's better than macOS just because it can do more things is, IMO, silly. A Swiss Army knife can do more than my chef's knife, but I know which one I use to make dinner. In terms of usability I'd put Windows third, after macOS and a good Gnome Linux distro.

I wasn't making the comparison macOS was useless or inferior, I was simply pointing out that Windows has grown leaps and bounds visually and functionally while macOS has remained relatively unchanged. If you want to defend a company which is stagnant, go for it. That's why they don't innovate anymore because users like you will beat the Apple drum year after year even though nothing progresses.

Reactions: Trey M

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
I wasn't making the comparison macOS was useless or inferior, I was simply pointing out that Windows has grown leaps and bounds visually and functionally while macOS has remained relatively unchanged. If you want to defend a company which is stagnant, go for it.

You seem to have misunderstood my post, so I will restate: Windows seems to have changed a lot because 1) they changed the UI (a big plus in my book) and 2) they've shoehorned in a touch interface, which sorta kinda works. However, under the hood, Win 10 is pretty much an updated Win 7. If you don't believe me, install Win 7 and install all the apps you use. You won't notice much of a difference. Even the things MS has put in, like Powershell, are of limited use.

The reason macOS doesn't seem to have changed much is simple: the desktop OS, with its WIMP metaphor, is pretty much set, which is why macOS, Windows and Gnome/Unity/whatever are all much more alike than they are different. We've had 33 years of desktop GUI and OS development, and there's consensus on what works and what doesn't. Mobile is the cutting edge now, and MS has no skin in the game.

You can claim that Windows has made massive changes, but since it's still pretty much Win 7 + some new stuff, your claim doesn't hold up.

That's why they don't innovate anymore because users like you will beat the Apple drum year after year even though nothing progresses.

I've been using Macs since the original Mac 128 in 1984. If I had a buck for everyone who claimed this, I'd have as much cash as Apple. In the last three years Apple has introduced a new programming language which is now the second most popular language out there, and has become, by far, the world's most advanced ARM processor designer. And those are just two things off the top of my head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.