Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solvs

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Presto! Teacher Out Of A Job
The telephone call that spelled the end of Jim Piculas' career as a substitute teacher in Pasco County came on a January day about a week after he performed the disappearing-toothpick trick for a group of rapt middle school students.

Pat Sinclair, who oversees substitute teachers in the Pasco County School District, was on the phone. She told Piculas there had been a complaint about his performance at Rushe Middle School in Land O' Lakes.

He asked what she meant.

"She said, 'You've been accused of wizardry,'" Piculas said.

He said the statement seemed bizarre to him, like something out of Harry Potter.

Piculas said he replied, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

He said he also told Sinclair, "It's not black magic. It's a toothpick."
Wow.

shikimo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2007
Lyon, France
Is that Pasco County, FLORIDA??

If so, how come only bad things seem to happen in Florida these days? Secede already! Form the Flori-texas Republic, where toothpicks don't disappear but death-row inmates do!!

On the other hand they would have a great national (American) football team...

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
Probably got a job a Hogwarts shortly thereafter.

I apologize if this bad joke has already been made.

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
This is a bunch of crap. Those who were responsible for his firing should be beaten with sticks. Repeatedly. Across the kidneys.

solvs

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I was going to suggest he was fired for the grave offense of working for idiots, but I suppose yours works too.
I like yours better.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone got burned or drowned for being a witch at this point. Which is sad. I'm sad now. God, people are stupid.

Probably got a job a Hogwarts shortly thereafter.
It was, but still funny.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
This is exactly what is wrong with America nowadays. And this is coming from a religious person...

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Wrong. He's a magician not a wizard.

Magicians deal with transportation and movemement of physical objects.

Wizards deal with arcane magic such as summonings and controllings.

Eh, are my geek pants showing?

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
So Wizardry… Is that like Witchcraft "lite"?
:p
No burnings just the ducking stool?

Imagine what the good citizens of Pascoe County would like to do to David Blaine…

People actually think he made the toothpick disappear? Are people really that gullible? :confused:

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
maybe that's his pet name for it... like playing hide the sausage. It would make more sense him getting sacked then.

</gross>

No seriously, there HAS to be more to this story. I can't believe someone could be fired for a magic trick.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Sigh. While the FL education system is completely EFFED, no one bothered to read the rest of the article:

In a letter the district sent to Piculas, performing a magic trick at Rushe Middle is just one of the reasons the district gives for dumping him from the substitute-teacher list. The others are that Piculas did not follow the lesson plans, he allowed students on computers even though another teacher said not to and he told the fifth-period student peer that she was in charge.

granted, he denies this, but still, a little more context would help.

in all likelihood, he was fired for being a crappy sub. He was not a teacher, a sub. Subs have no rights and need not be at all considered teachers within the system. If he wanted to teach, subbing is a good way to get your foot in the door. And if this screws up his future chances, that totally sucks, but I bet he could move to a better state for teaching anyway.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
If so, how come only bad things seem to happen in Florida these days? Secede already! Form the Flori-texas Republic, where toothpicks don't disappear but death-row inmates do!!

Interestingly enough, my friends and I used to have a game called "Florida or Texas" in which we'd dig up news stories as ridiculous as this one and everybody would have to guess whether it happened in florida or texas!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.