Team Matte Black... just admit that you're jealous!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techiebug, Sep 13, 2016.

1. techiebug macrumors 6502a

I'm buying the matte black. Have to admit tho... I'm quite jealous because apparently this year the Jet Black is the one in spotlight.I'm not saying matte looks better or jet black looks better. It's just JB looks new and refreshing. It gives a sense of satisfaction when buying a new iphone. I'd go with the JB if I didn't have concern for scratches. But I'd rather buy a matte black and still able to keep it pristine after a year. Not to mention the matte black looks pretty amazing itself. I don't get the point of using a case and screen protector as I'd rather enjoy use it to the fullest than protect it and sell it almost brand new to someone else later.

2. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

I want the matte because I don't want to deal with a ton of scratches next year when I go to sell it for the real new iPhone, this one is just a placeholder S version.

3. Rangers94 macrumors regular

Rangers94

4. ccolaco macrumors 6502

Jealous of the colour that I could have easily picked but didn't?

5. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Jellies of all the scratches and scuffs? Nope.

6. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

I ordered a jet black, thought on it, came to my senses and ordered a regular black instead.

7. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Jet black is in the spotlight now, but will remain in the spotlight after launch because of how easily it scratches and scuffs. This despite all of the advance warning. I would never want a phone that not only scuffs that easily but shows fingerprints so easily. Same reason I had a black car once and never again. The thing looks great for 30 minutes after you get out of the wash, then it's back to looking grimy. And any imperfections are immediately visible.

8. icewolf247 macrumors regular

I went gold because I prefer the colour
    But there is no way I would have gone jet black as I hate any scratches or marks and I am actually stunned Apple have created a product they have to warn will do this.

9. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

The thing is, all this talk about "regular" black to me is just bonkers, because I think it looks BETTER and more unique than the jet black.

10. unglued, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016

unglued macrumors member

Slide the edge of a coin over both. It will surface scar the Matte Black but slip and slide over the Jet Black, friction is a bit*#.

11. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

If we want to be honest, it's what happens when a company doesn't have much in the way of features to differentiate the new model. The only other way to boost sales is to release new colors.

12. MacintoshDan macrumors regular

I like matte black much better, plus it won't look like a black car in a year. Matte black brings me back to that iPhone 5 I loved so much, the best looking iPhone Apple ever did.

13. caelius macrumors regular

caelius

Why would I be jealous of something I could've easily bought myself? o_O

14. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

I think everyone had plenty of time to choose, i ordered the regular black because i alwasy go comando with my phones and the jet black i assume would look like really bad after a few months with me.

15. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

This is the 2014 iPhone 6 4.7 vs 5.5 war all over again

16. avihayg macrumors newbie

I don't even care what the colour would be !!!
    i put a case to protect it, and if not a case i don't want a phone that could be scratch easily
    even if you guys buy the jet black you'll probably put a case so it won't scratch so we are on the
    same page here o_O

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You guys act like we've never had a glossy "jet black" iPhone before. Remember the black iPhone 3G/3GS? That was a fingerprint magnet, not to mention swirl marks all over as part of "normal wear and tear."

Some people may point to the Black and Slate iPhone 5 and argue that even the matte Black iPhone may not be pristine after a year or so.

18. Batman89 macrumors 6502

Exactly my thoughts.

And while I'm embarrassed to say that I participated in that 2014 dispute, I won't get involved in this one.

Some people prefer the jet black, other people prefer the matte black.

Get what you want and be happy with your purchase. No need to be jealous of anything if you got the color that YOU wanted.

19. yegon macrumors 68020

Chose matte because I much prefer it.

JB is too reminiscent of my 3G, the worst iPhone I've ever owned!

20. LaCosta macrumors member

A Jet Black matching accessory that will soon be released

[​IMG]

21. unglued macrumors member

3G was plastic, 7 is aluminum anodized coated way way different. But doesn't matter both Matte and Jet black colors will pop out off the aluminum.

22. RobtheJedii macrumors regular

RobtheJedii

Matte black I would say is the way to go. I like the stealth look instead.

23. yegon macrumors 68020

I said it's reminiscent to me, I never claimed it was even remotely the same thing.

24. bzavala macrumors member

I've always preferred matte over glossy/shinny. So iPhone 7 Matte Black for me!

25. AhemThisGuy macrumors member