Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Why? it's about usage. If you want to watch TikTok all day on 5G (as was said in another post - really funny). The fact is that they have plenty of battery life. It's funny, because if you see the Samsmug reviews, they get excellent battery life if you put them in power save mode (60hz), but not so much at 120, but oh that so important to have buttery smooth scrolling. News flash, I've never had a problem with the scrolling on my iPhone X not being buttery smooth. Perhaps its useful for gaming or somthing, but buttery smooth scrolling - nah
[automerge]1603387258[/automerge]

check the specs, no regression in battery life

12 pro did, 1 hour less than 11 pro

12 and 12 pro max are officially same though yes

(5g notwithstanding)

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Is there a regression? Apple lists battery life as the same for the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro, other than a slightly lower video playback for the 12 vs 11 (up to 17 hours vs up to 18). Streamed video and audio playback are reported as the same. "Regression" battery life is likely going to be a 5G issue rather than an issue of the smaller battery capacity.

Of course, it would be nice to have even longer battery life but it looks like the 12 Pro will have essentially the same as the 11 Pro. That's impressive with a smaller capacity battery. It shows good progress in efficiencies. Again, if Apple had managed to keep a larger battery and have those efficiencies, that would have been amazing but Apple typically shoots for similar battery life year to year.

The "up to" is what Apple officially uses as their current benchmark, so for the 12 pro specifically its a minor step back vs the 11 pro....but still matches the 11 which was fantastic as a daily driver

Regardless, hands on reviewers have not been able to discern real world battery differences with the 12 or 12 pro from the 11 or 11 pro.

But I agree with you and what others are echoing, it is not really an issue as the 11 series was absolutely fantastic in the battery department, and tbe 12/pro/max will all be stellar dependable full day devices as well im sure.

Reactions: ikir

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
More people fixated on the numbers: battery capacity rather than real world battery life and their actual needs. Sure, there are people who spend 10 hours a day streaming TikTok videos over 5G, but let them get a power bank and the rest of us save the extra cost and weight of a bigger battery we don't even need.
During the last several months millions and millions working professionals are hooking up to their mobiles several hours everyday. For them battery life is very important. Having thinner and reduced batteries serve no purpose with the pandemic going to be here for foreseeable future.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Actually the battery inside the Nokia 6310 is only 1150 mah, way smaller than what we have right now. The difference is that with that type of phone, we just make calls and nothing else. Perhaps 1 or 2 quick messages but that's it.
Fully understood - and that was one reason it took me as long as it did to get a smart phone.

That was a Galaxy SII - Li-Ion 1650 mAh battery (apparently). But had the huge advantage you could carry a spare and swap over in seconds.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The mini has a bigger battery than the new SE I had. I don’t live on my phone watching videos and posting on social media. As such, I am not really worried about the battery life. If needed, I will get smart battery case when it is released.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
From all the shades of navy blue I’ve seen for the iPhone 12, this one is the one I like the most.

I wonder why this color changes so much depending on who’s taking the images of it.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
During the last several months millions and millions working professionals are hooking up to their mobiles several hours everyday. For them battery life is very important. Having thinner and reduced batteries serve no purpose with the pandemic going to be here for foreseeable future.
That is an important point. However, if we see slim powerpacks which attach and charge via integral MagSafe, such people will have a choice. (I do, of course, mean that MagSafe should be integrated into the powerpack - not just the phone.) Quite importantly to a lot of people, the basic phone weight doesn't need to increase solely to enhance battery life.

I have recently had to take to carrying around a powerpack with me and keeping my phone and powerpack together, with a cable attached between them, to get even most of a day of very light usage out of my old 6s. Made awkward by the fact that both the USB-A and the Lightning plugs stick out of the ends of the respective lumps. That renders them so very easy to damage.

A 3000 mAh powerpack, maybe a bit more to cover any inefficiencies, would double the effective usable time for a 12. If you really want, you could buy as many as you might need. Or hope a manufacturer makes them in 5000, 10,000, 20,000 mAh capacities - despite the weight.

Reactions: Ramchi

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
More people fixated on the numbers: battery capacity rather than real world battery life and their actual needs. Sure, there are people who spend 10 hours a day streaming TikTok videos over 5G, but let them get a power bank and the rest of us save the extra cost and weight of a bigger battery we don't even need.

This can be true. However, as we remember, last year it was the battery life which was a big selling factor for Apple and folks got really excited about a possibility of not having to top-up their iPhones throughout the day. iPhone 11 Pro, specifically, became a champ of battery life in its size. This year the major selling point is “speed” - that of 5G and the SOC. 5G is still in its toddler pants and I doubt there will be many of us noticing a real difference between A13 and A14 in day to day use.

So in terms of pure value, the most attractive devices this year might be the ones coming out the latest - iPhone 12 mini (for light to moderate users) and iPhone 12 Pro Max (the biggest in everything). iPhone 12 and 12 Pro are ok too, but I would not personally upgrade to them from anything 11.

Reactions: Vanilla35

rubaxter

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
I know Apple are fanatics about making thinner phones and they have done an amazing job of fitting so much technology in a small space, but a tinny bit thicker (flush to the camera bump) to have more battery capacity would be worth it.

I have quite seriously considered an iPhone in the Max range to replace a Note 9 in a year or so. But if the iPhone cannot deliver enough battery for me to use this as a sometimes hotspot AND get reasonable phone time in a day, then I'll once again go for the better battery, modem integration, and reception on whichever, even though getting continued system upgrades for the Apple is far superior, considering the lives of iPhones with other family members.

I've also watched those iPhone users with battery packs, and I'm not ready to go back down that clunky, and frankly hideous, trail myself, especially when, by magic, the Apple Store says there is too much chance your iPhone 'will break' if they even try to replace the old battery [cough, cough].

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ikir

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK

Are these the people sat in their homes next to a power outlet?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Can someone recap...All I thought about was this guys need to cut his nails.

TeamMojo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
Very important consideration. New 5nm process which means much less power loss. Also likely many other power sipping improvements throughout CPU and rest of the design. Apple has the ability to look at the entire power budget for the device. For example, screen, and taptic engine. It may well be that although smaller, Apple has figured a way to make the taptic engine as effective, but with less juice.

Point being, reserve judgement until all data is in and real world tests have been made.

Drogba11

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2018
Let's not kid ourselves, it's 2020 and any phone calling itself "Pro" shouldn't have a sub 3,000 mAh battery whichever way you cut it.

Reactions: Ramchi

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Apple has the ability to look at the entire power budget for the device.
I am hoping that 3G/4G is more efficient - especially in areas with almost (or fully) non-existent signals! Sometimes that seems to be the most important single factor.

mashdots

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2015
seattle-ish
ngl this is making me less interested in upgrading from my XS. i might wait another year . . . hopefully the next one will have a pro-motion display.

Reactions: Vanilla35

howywood

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2020
The more I read, the less Pro the Pro becomes. I guess the only Pro is just the Pro Max this year. Sigh ... I don’t want to use a phone that’s bigger than my head.

Reactions: Ramchi and femike
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.