Tech 21 iBand case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by raymanster, Aug 20, 2009.

1. raymanster macrumors 6502

raymanster

2. sneeks macrumors 6502a

3. kicko macrumors 65816

is there no cutout? or is it just hard to get at ? Thats funny.

4. sneeks macrumors 6502a

5. sneeks macrumors 6502a

Due to some bad customer reviews and lack of stock where I placed my order I have cancelled buying this.

6. raymanster thread starter macrumors 6502

raymanster

I spoke to the Tech 21 sales director yesterday via email, apparently the hard case isn't out for a few more months. Can't remember the date as I deleted the email :eek:

7. Immy macrumors newbie

im planning on getting this in white and then just getting as this will protect the sides and then just get something like wrapsol or invisible shield for the screen and back to prevent scratches

8. Enigmah macrumors member

Enigmah

OK,

Just got my iBand (Black) and fitted it straight away. So far my issues are :-

1. You cannot change volume without really pressing hard. or push the top power button.

2. There is no back protection ! I knew this before I bought it. I have an ed hardy case on my iPhone at the moment like the one below.

[​IMG]

I rang a tech guy at tech21 and he told me the intiligent d3o material will stretch after it has been on the iphone for a few days and access to the buttons will become a lot easier, He also commented about my ed hardy case as he knew the type I had. He told me that there is most probably stretch enough for me to use the back cover aswell.

I'll do that for now and see what happens, then I imagine I will buy the full tech21 case when it becomes available, which I believe to be sometime in october here in the UK.

9. Sobek macrumors newbie

I got my iBand yesterday after being sold on it by a video up on Gizmodo. Quite disappointed though. It does add a fair bit of bulk to the edges of the phone, more than I'm used to in some cases, and as Enigmah pointed out, button presses are a chore - I really have to force down the power/screen lock key to get it to register.
    It's a great concept, but it just doesn't look the part in this instance, and the full case will work better. I'd love to see what Otterbox would do with this material though!

10. kicko macrumors 65816

I bet the harder you press the volume buttons the more difficult it is :D. I do agree its a good concept but the design is odd and fat. There is no possible way you can have good protection without bulk.

I said in another post i would love to see other cases vs. the band to see a comparison.

11. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

Ed Hardy fan here and I have a few of their cases.

All of mine do not fit well in the top right corner, where that small piece comes over the top corner (nearest volume control). Are you having this problem? Not sure if it is material or craftsmanship, but disappointed given the cost of these cases.

I also fell for the cool video and ordered one of these indestructible cases. Will see how it works for me.

12. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I spoke to a very nice lady at Tech 21 today and explained what the issue is with the power button etc and she told me the guy who designed it isnt in today but if i ring back i can talk to him about it. She said he can lock his phone etc with the case on and not have to peal it off everytime.

Will let you know what i find out.

13. jmckechnie macrumors member

jmckechnie

Do let us know. No accessing the power button is the only reason from keeping me from buying it.

14. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I spoke to the designer and owner of Tech 21 today and he was extremely helpful.

He explained that the case will take about a week to 'soften' up and after that the power button should be fine. Just from having my case on for 2 days now its already getting easier to lock my phone. He also explained if they had cut loads of holes out the case wouldn't be able to be dropped 2 floors and still work!

I can also press the volume buttons with a little bit of pressure, to much pressure and the D30 kicks in and protects the phone so got to be a little bit careful :)

I would highly recommend the case to anyone!

15. sverzijl macrumors newbie

Nipz did it end up getting easier to use?

I've got one and found I couldn't use the buttons and I am currently in the process of getting a refund, but if it turns out that it gets better, then I'll be quite happy to keep it.

Thanks

16. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Hi sverzijl,

Yea the case has eased up a lot. I can press all the buttons and if i push and pull the corner where the silent switch is i can make it turn on and off. If you have only just woke up and still feeling a little week then the case can be a little hard but other than that the case is amazing! For the 1 time the case has saved me so fair its worth every penny!!

17. madleyrascal macrumors newbie

i wish mine had loosened up.....

Ive had mine 5 weeks and i have put up with the irrating problems such as NO access to the side buttons, only being able to use apple headphones as the jack hole is too small for third party headphones and now the front and back are seriously scratched (dont put it in a pocket or bag with keys as no protection for front and back!!!)

However, in the 5 weeks i have had it i have had time to wonder why it doesnt work well and in my opinion the reason you cant access any of the side buttons is actually due to the d3o material itself ! d3o is designed for impact protection, ie, from impact from dropping it. However, the d3o is not intelligent enough to distinguish between the impact of dropping it & the impact from pressing it!

If you think about it, when you try to press a side button, the d3o activates & hardens as it thinks your finger pushing on it is an impact! Basically, d3o is great for ski wear, etc but not designed for this type of item. Tech 21 have not thought this one through and, like me, i bet Dragons Peter and Theo are kicking themselves and kissing their investment goodbye.

take a look at these independent reviews which paint a very poor picture:

http://store.apple.com/uk/reviews/TS814ZM/A?mco=MTE0MzkyODg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjKZUiCh_ag

this is a good reason to avoid this product which is a real shame as it definitely had potential

:mad::mad::mad::(:(:confused::confused::apple:.

18. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Just a quick message to say my case is 90% perfect. Pressing the lock button is now nearly the same as pressing it without it. The silent switch is still a little hard but im over that and the volume buttons are easy enough that i dont worry about them.

Just an update i wanted to share :)

19. V4705 macrumors 6502

just got one, not bad at all :) (the fixed edition).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. keeganxt macrumors regular

So when are they going to release this for the iPhone 4...

This would be great!

21. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Out at the end of July for the iPhone 4. it looks like there will be multiple color choices.

22. ChrnoXIII macrumors newbie

HAHA offtopic but your dp freaked me out. i thought some **** was crawling on my monitor. nice ;)

23. mpossoff macrumors 68020

24. tberb macrumors newbie

Bought iBand and...

The back, of course, it open as Tech21 states, but mine is the version two where there are holes cut out.

Mine does not, however, lift my iphone up and off the table. My iphone's back is on the table up near the apple logo, where the bell of the curvature is the highest.

My iphone is now nicked up and scratched up only there where it touches. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm kinda upset about it. The back was pristine after having kept it in an Otterbox Defender for most of the time.

It also means that the back will hit if it falls, even if it is on a flat surface :/

Could I get that number for the company? I e-mailed them about it with no response yet.