Tech21 ImpactShield - Anyone tried this yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TBONE72, May 1, 2013.

1. TBONE72, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013

TBONE72 macrumors regular

2. darster Suspended

Don't like the openings at top and bottom where home button and earpiece are located. Looks a bit dorky.

3. kvaughan macrumors member

Ordered one of these last week directly from the Tech21 web store. Will post my opinion when it arrives.

4. TBONE72 thread starter macrumors regular

Cool! I would love to read your opinion of it. Looking forward to it!

5. scott99 macrumors 6502a

6. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

7. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

We have them at my work for the Galaxy S4 but I haven't been able to use it long enough to see how it feels (if it is sticky or not). I'll post back in here after I use it, if I keep using my S4 for work.

8. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

9. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

10. TBONE72 thread starter macrumors regular

Just curious of you have received it yet?

11. kvaughan macrumors member

Checking the mail every day, still not delivered. The website said 7-10 days for US delivery. Today is day 7.

12. TBONE72 thread starter macrumors regular

Bumpin' the thread. I saw one of these at my local T-Mobile store but didn't pull the trigger on getting one. It was retailing for $35.

13. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I ordered online from mobilefun.com, supposed to receive it today or tomorrow. I might buy another one at the T-Mobile store tonight.

14. kvaughan macrumors member

Still no sign of mine yet. Hopefully it arrives sometime this week.

15. TBONE72 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that's too bad it's taking so long. Hope you get it soon! :)

16. scott99 macrumors 6502a

Went to the T-Mobile store on 34st street in Manhattan and they had them. I dropped $35 on one, and installed it last night. Besides the fact that I screwed up the installation slightly, it really is a nice screen guard. Definitely can see the thickness of it if you look at it on an angle.

I will say, you will notice some smudges when your phone is off, easily cleaned with a soft cloth (they include one), when the phone is on, it's really clear, you won't notice the smudges at all, looks great. Also, I didn't notice any loss in screen sensitivity, swiping, touching, pinch to zoom etc, all work perfectly. Install is easy, they also include a squeegie like card to get rid of the bubbles, BUT, the bubbles disappear pretty easily and quickly, and there really isn't many that I had to get rid of.

Also, the screen guard doesn't go to the complete edges of the phone, so obviously they had cases in mind when they made it. I have the Tech21 Impact Shell Case (black), and I feel completely comfortable with the combo of that case and the Impactshield screen guard. I am not worried about an accidental drop. I still have my other screen guard in transit, should get here today or tomorrow.

17. kvaughan macrumors member

Mine arrived today and I just got it on.

I'd say the quality is on the same level as the Power Support crystal screen protector. Smooth as glass and crystal clear. There is a slight space between the edge of the screen protector and the edge of the glass which I assume is to accommodate for case that have a lip that covers the screen. Short review but as of now I am not regretting the $35 spent on this screen protector.

18. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

Seems like complete overkill to me. $35 for one screen protector? No thank you. I'd prefer my screen naked, but to be on the safe side I just bought a 3-pack of Tech Armor screen protectors on Amazon and they work great. Best part is, I'm only out a pinch.

19. scott99 macrumors 6502a

Overkill is $35 ? But cracking your screen and having tp get a new screen ($70-$100) isn't overkill ? Do me a favor, show me pics of your phone's screen when your Tech Armor fails to protect your screen.

I've never cracked a screen, and I'm on my 4th iPhone (iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4 and now iPhone 5), you now why ? Because I'm willing to get the best products to protect it. I have no doubt my screen will be protected if I happen to drop my phone. How about you ?

http://youtu.be/bDrJTbBP3lM

20. TBONE72 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks kvaughan & scott99 for the reviews! I was really curious how easy the install was? It's been a while since I've installed a PowerSupport screen protector. I just remember how easy it was to get a speck of dust on the screen right before putting the sucker down or getting an air bubble that would never quite go away.

It would be great to know how scratch resistant the protector is. I've seen vids of someone taking a wire brush to it and the scratches just kind of vanish.

I might have to go buy one of these.

21. scott99 macrumors 6502a

Hey TBONE72, no problem. I'm really liking the screen protector. I'm not sure how scratch resistant it is, because I'm usually extremely careful with my phone. I did see the video with the wire brush, was very impressed.

22. kvaughan macrumors member

Install was easy as I used the "hinge method" to make sure I got it lined up perfect. There was one speck of dust on the edge. I just lifted the protector up a little with the supplied cardboard and scraped it off and it's perfect now.

23. scott99 macrumors 6502a

What is the "hinge method" ?

24. Thekidtorres macrumors regular

Yes, I want to know it too jaja

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

25. kvaughan macrumors member