TechRestore matte service.. done.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by war eagle, Feb 4, 2009.

1. war eagle macrumors 6502a

I don't know if you guys remember but the glass to my display cracked and I was able to get the Tech Restore glossy to matte process done for an additional 100 since the display itself wasn't messed up. I will be receiving my unibody back tomorrow and if you have any questions let me know and i'll answer them.

2. jbussiere macrumors member

Pics PLEASE! Hopefully you like it...from the other ones...looked kinda shady. But, then again....they do a better job than I ever would.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Pics. I just paid for mine.

Also I read that on Macworld they damaged the bezel and aluminium; is your fine and clean?

4. semitry macrumors member

What did you have to send them? Does the hard drive have to be in? Original box? Just the laptop? battery? Adapter?

5. rhyx macrumors 6502

I would include a hard drive in it if you want them to be able to boot it up and test it.

6. lordthistle macrumors 6502

7. marvel2 macrumors 6502

Post pics when you guys get your machines in and impressions on the job they did.

8. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, as I speak to you I am typing on my new matte display!

And iLoveit lol.. It's beautiful. No MacBook Pro written on the bottom of the display and other than that it looks just like the old one without the glossy glassy garbage.

It isn't as bright but that doesn't bother me. Not much of a difference. It's lighter IMO now and just beautiful.

I remember seeing the review where the edges were all scratched or what not but this is FLAWLESS. I will get pictures up as soon as I get back to school my digital camera is there.

I would definitely recommend it for guys on the fence.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Pics or it didn't happen.

10. semitry macrumors member

Is the battery life the same? What screen does it have?

11. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here have some pictures from my iPhone for now since you dont believe me lol. Can't believe i'm trying to prove a point to somebody on the internet lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now dont go complaining about the quality because I told you I would put pics up when I got back to school in a few hours.

12. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

i dont think they are replacing the display, only removing the glass.

13. semitry macrumors member

And how long did it take? From the time they got it, to the time they shipped it out.

14. semitry macrumors member

They replace the whole display with a different one.

15. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I shipped it out last Thursday.. They got it on Monday, shipped Wednesday, I got it today.

16. semitry macrumors member

Can you go into the system profiler and tell me what type of screen it is? I may be ordering mine tonight and shipping it out tomorrow.

17. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

It doesn't say?

18. semitry macrumors member

Oops, I meant System Preference/Display/Color/Open Profile

And go down to #13, you should have a Model#, like the 2 original ones on the unibodies are 9C84 and 9C85 with a manufacturer of 610.

19. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Manufacturer: 00000610
    Model: 00009C84

Whats that translate to?

20. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

I think that means they just remove the glass and put a matte cover on your existing screen.

21. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Nope, they claim to replace the entire glossy screen (from under the glass) with an identical (but matte) model. A full review of the service is below:

http://www.macworld.com/article/138574/2009/02/techrestorembp.html

NOTE: Please dismiss the article's claim that the 17" MBP unibody is not a true "matte" display, because the writer is misinformed on this point.

22. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

I know that's what the claim, but shouldn't the model be a different number then the glossy one?

23. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Maybe, I don't know if the model # would change between glossy & matte. But in another thread where someone modded his own macbook by removing the glass and adding a new bezel, the screen behind the glass was still glossy (not matte). The MBP could be different, but I don't believe so...

24. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Those strings are written in a text file during the installation of Mac OS when the hardware is detected. They are not computed each time you access them.

Afterwards, you can open the text file and write whatever you want. In this case, those strings represent the screen model number and manuf. that the author had before the exchange took place.

thistle

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Nice. I'm still waiting for the shipping label they haven't emailed me yet.