Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The hit Apple TV+ show "Ted Lasso" received a Golden Globe Award nomination today for "Best Television Series" in the "Musical or Comedy" category, with Jason Sudeikis also landing a nomination for "Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series" in the "Musical or Comedy" category for his starring role in the show, according to CNN.

ted-lasso.jpg

Sudeikis plays the title character Ted Lasso, a small-time college football coach from Kansas hired to coach a professional soccer team in England, despite having no experience coaching soccer. The show has received positive reviews, with many viewers finding solace in Lasso's unrelenting positivity amid the trying times of late.

Ted Lasso, already renewed for two more seasons, is up against "Schitt's Creek," "Emily in Paris," "The Flight Attendant," and "The Great."

Apple TV+ landed a few other Golden Globe nominations this year, with Bill Murray among the candidates for "Best Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture" for his role in the film "On the Rocks," and animated series "Wolfwalkers" landing a nomination for "Best Motion Picture" in the "Animated" category.

Apple highlighted its Golden Globe nominations in a press release:
In total, Apple was recognized with Golden Globe nominations for:

- Best Motion Picture, Animated – “Wolfwalkers”
- Best Television Series, Musical or Comedy – “Ted Lasso”
- Best Performance By An Actor In A Supporting Role In Any Motion Picture – Bill Murray in “On The Rocks”
- Best Actor in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy Series – Jason Sudeikis in “Ted Lasso”
The 78th Golden Globe Awards will honor the best of American film and television of 2020, as chosen by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. The ceremony will be hosted on Sunday, February 28 at 5 p.m. Pacific Time on NBC.

Article Link: 'Ted Lasso' Among Apple TV+ Series Nominated for Golden Globe Awards

Last edited:

nikaru

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
I entered here just to comment that Apple probably bought the nomination (usual practice for Golden Globes), but the rest of the comments seems quite positive. I should give it a try.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
It's not just Apples best show (and they have a handful of really great shows already), it's probably the best new show released all of last year. For anyone who wants a taste of what makes it great and has never watched it, just go to YouTube and search on Ted Lasso Darts.

For everyone judging the show without actually watching it, heed the advice of Walt Whitman. "Be curious, not judgmental."

Last edited:

eroyce

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
Minnesota (brrrr)
I don't know if it will win for best comedy or not, but I truly believe it should be nominated. For those that haven't seen it, it is not just comedy, but it is uplifting and has some very strong writing; you can laugh and smile and it isn't slapstick or lowest common denominator humor. Ted Lasso is entertaining because the writing and acting all comes together so well.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I was skeptical about the show based on its premise, fearing it would be yet another version of "a misfit coach takes on a misfit sports team, and, despite being bullied and cheated by the arch-rival team of arrogant jocks, the goofy but lovable underdogs end up winning the championship, with lots pratfalls and potty humor along the way." Based on the positive reviews, though, I took a chance, and I loved it! In an age when "dark" and "edgy" shows dominate (and I like those, too), Ted Lasso is a breath of fresh air -- a reminder that human beings can be kind and decent to one another when we choose to be.

frozen220

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
I mean I like this show, but a comedy award? It's really more heartfelt tongue in cheek humor than anything else, not laugh-out-loud funny. So I have a hard time understanding how people really think this show is funny enough to win an award for how funny it is. Or am I missing something?

Scipster

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2020
By far one of the most wholesome shows on Apple TV+, enjoyed watching every episode! Cannot wait for Seasons 2 & 3. Jason Sudeikis and the entire ensemble really hit home with this one. Hopefully they win a lot of well-deserved Golden Globes!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.