Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
This 17 year old kid is a future CEO in the making. ;)

Steven started his lucrative journey when his friend gave him an old cell phone - the sort most people would throw away or shove into a junk drawer.

He traded that phone for a better phone, which he then traded for an iPod touch. He traded that for a series of dirt bikes, a MacBook Pro, and a 1987 Toyota 4Runner.

So he quickly swapped it out for a souped-up off-road golf, another more valuable dirt bike, a streetbike, then a series of cars ending with a 1975 Ford Bronco. He spent a few months enjoying each acquisition before determining he was looking for something else. It was that Bronco that got him the Porsche. Because some older Broncos are considered collectibles, Steven estimated his was worth $15,000. He got offered all manner of trades - including a locksmith business - for the Bronco. The Porsche, worth about $9,000, was actually a trade down.

Read more: http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_15533701?source=rss_viewed#ixzz0uCIwRXdh

It took 14 swaps over a two-year period to land Stephen Ortiz a 2000 Porsche Boxster S.

Read more: http://cbs2.com/tv/Steven.Ortiz.teen.2.1812449.html

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
That's impressive although that 10 year old Porsche is going to suck him dry in repair/maintenance bills.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
That's impressive although that 10 year old Porsche is going to suck him dry in repair/maintenance bills.

At the end of the article it said $150 for an oil change and $1000 for a tuneup. Is it that difficult to change the oil filter, remove the drain plug, gap the spark plugs and use a timing light yourself on a Porsche?

He could just get a Chilton Guide or Haynes Manual and easily take care of maintenance and most repairs himself.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
That's cool. I've seen quite a few that have happened on eBay.

At the end of the article it said $150 for an oil change and $1000 for a tuneup. Is it that difficult to change the oil filter, remove the drain plug, gap the spark plugs and use a timing light yourself on a Porsche?

He could just get a Chilton Guide or Haynes Manual and easily take care of maintenance and most repairs himself.

Exactly!

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

On a Boxster? Yes, it is that difficult. It's mid-engine, and it is a VERY tight fit in the engine bay.

Anyway, there was a story like this a couple of years ago. Some guy started with a red paper clip and wound up with a house. Check out his story here.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
On a Boxster? Yes, it is that difficult. It's mid-engine, and it is a VERY tight fit in the engine bay.

Anyway, there was a story like this a couple of years ago. Some guy started with a red paper clip and wound up with a house. Check out his story here.

You could take it to a place that guarantees a $90 tune up and a $30 oil change (*up to 5 quarts). None of the disclaimers I have seen say certain makes and models not included. Though I don't know if I would trust the kind of service I would end up receiving on that Porsche.

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Here
i love these stories. I remember one that started with something with a rubber band and ended up with a house

+1
And I think you mean a red paper clip.

Soon after he acquired the Porsche a few months ago, Steven realized it has had its drawbacks, namely operating expenses. An oil change costs at least $150, and a routine tune-up at least $1,000.

So he is considering his next trade - maybe an Escalade.
Man thats a lot of money!

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
But, I would take the Porsche over an old cellphone any day :p

And that is quite amazing, that guy has a talent.

Well, if it was a white Bronco, I would have kept that instead of trading for a Boxster. This vanity plate only works with a white Bronco.:p

Attachments

• White-Bronce-Vanity-Plate.jpg
    White-Bronce-Vanity-Plate.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 132

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I was wondering when the mini-van drivers would check in.

Even a 10 year old Boxster S is a very fun car. :)

Very nice indeed. And he got it for free, so he could justify a loan for any major repair.

Basic maintenance on any car is outrageous now. Is any dealer in CA getting less than $100/hour? Major scheduled service on any nicer vehicle is getting close to a grand now.

Today's 10 year old car is yesterday's 4 year old car. Also, oil services are so far apart now that you spend less on that than you did years ago when you were supposed to go in every 3000 miles.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
I was wondering when the mini-van drivers would check in.

Even a 10 year old Boxster S is a very fun car. :)

Not all of us drive a minivan. I have sports car and a sporty car. Take it from somebody that knows about these a bit, the Porsche Boxster would not be a car I would trade that Bronco for. Maybe an S2000.

Not saying a Boxster isn't fun. Just saying that an old Porsche is going to be very expensive live with.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
i love these stories. I remember one that started with something with a rubber band and ended up with a house

Actually the dude managed over the course of a year and a half to trade up from a novelty sized plastic paperclip to a house. It was a fascinating story.

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002

Yes it is that difficult. I believe you have to drop the engine out of the car to do an oil change.

I had to get a smog check on my Cayman S because I bought it out of state. I took it to 4 different smog centers and each of them said they did not know how check a Porsche. Most of them couldn't figure out how to get to the engine whatsoever.

You pay to play though. The cost of a basic oil change on my IS F runs $225.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Its pretty impressive but keep in mind he did it (make $9000) over 2 years.

It did not mention whether he has a real job.

Most people can make over $9000 over 2 years easily.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
Its pretty impressive but keep in mind he did it (make $9000) over 2 years.

It did not mention whether he has a real job.

Most people can make over $9000 over 2 years easily.

But this is $9000 in addition to what he made while working.

Also, this guy is gonna be rich some day.

Sander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2008
A few more trades and he could say he traded his old cell phone for an iPhone 4!

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
He was stupid - at one point, he's had a $15.000 car that he traded for a $9.000 one?! He should have just sold it.

That was the act that explains, why he's not that good.

You could take it to a place that guarantees a $90 tune up and a $30 oil change (*up to 5 quarts). None of the disclaimers I have seen say certain makes and models not included. Though I don't know if I would trust the kind of service I would end up receiving on that Porsche.

If you don't see why a $30 oil change is a bad idea with a 2.5L Porsche boxer engine, you might stick with a 15 years old little Honda.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.