Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Hmmm.... I wonder if I can trade my fat assed ex wife for a super model ?

I think there would be a few ownership issues, letting alone human rights...

But I like the idea. Don't forget, you will need to do a lot of swaps. Personally, I think the 'journey' and taking part would really make playing worthwhile here. :D

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Here
I THINK this may be the same story but I thought I heard of one story where the guy had a chance at a day of golf with a rock star (whose name escapes me) and traded that for a house or something or other

I definitely love stories like this! :)

You are correct. Alice cooper was the guy.

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
If you don't see why a $30 oil change is a bad idea with a 2.5L Porsche boxer engine, you might stick with a 15 years old little Honda.
What's wrong with 15 year old Hondas? I have one and wouldn't trade it for both a 10 year old Boxster and classic Bronco together.

As for oil changes, I'd just buy a pump and do them myself. No biggie.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
You pay to play though. The cost of a basic oil change on my IS F runs $225.
:eek: Do they drop the oil pan and scrub it out for that much?
If you don't see why a $30 oil change is a bad idea with a 2.5L Porsche boxer engine, you might stick with a 15 years old little Honda.

3.4L Porsche boxer.
I've heard enough "forgot to replace the drain plug" stories about cheap places, that I'll never take a car I care about to one of them.

I just do it myself. I put in a Fumoto valve last time, so it should be even easier now.

Edit: Nope, not a 3.4L. That's only in the 07+ S

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
My dad emailed me this story and now im going to try to trade my alienware for a sedan if he lets me lol

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009

I've heard enough "forgot to replace the drain plug" stories about cheap places, that I'll never take a car I care about to one of them.

I just do it myself. I put in a Fumoto valve last time, so it should be even easier now.

The last time I've done an oil change was on my 1983 SL 280 Mercedes Benz. I only use fully synthetic oil with that car and I was told to use the 10W 40 variant. It is very difficult to get and one litre is about $30. If I buy the 5 litre container (Shell), it is around $100 just for the engine oil. I'm sure that these places can give me an oil change for almost nothing, but I'd rather pay them not to. If the cylinders punch a hole on the engine block, I have to pay the $7000 for a reconditioned engine being fitted.

I haven't got a problem with DIY lubrication services, in fact I'd rather own a car where I know that the oil has been replaced in every few thousand miles by the owner than a garage in every 15000. My problem is to put the kind of oil into these complex engines that started their life as cooking oil.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009

The last time I've done an oil change was on my 1983 SL 280 Mercedes Benz. I only use fully synthetic oil with that car and I was told to use the 10W 40 variant. It is very difficult to get and one litre is about $35. If I buy the 5 litre container (Shell), it is around $100 just for the engine oil. I'm sure that these places can give me an oil change for almost nothing, but I'd rather pay them not to. If the cylinders punch a hole on the engine block, I have to pay the $7000 for a reconditioned engine being fitted.

I haven't got a problem with DIY lubrication services, in fact I'd rather own a car where I know that the oil has been replaced in every few thousand miles by the owner than a garage in every 15000. My problem is to put the kind of oil into these complex engines that started their life as cooking oil.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

It is a 10 year old Porsche worth $9,000 and likely very high mileage. It's engine should be worn to the point were it's precision parts are no more precise than your run of the mill car. Further were not talking about a car being red lined at the track regularly. Rather a daily driver were one might get the occasional to stomp on the gas.

Conventional motor oil of an SL rating or better and a standard filter should service the engine just fine.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
If you want to qualify that car as "big", then I'm Ronald Reagan. It's fairly small as far as cars go.

When it comes to oil change, I'd rather measure things by cubic cm or inch and not by the standard of a kid. That Japanese car in question beats you and Ronald Reagan too. That car is not an "old little Honda" which the original quote was.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I'd trade this kid for a new 2011 Porsche Boxster S, but I think there are laws against that. :(

And the kid would get even more of his 15 min of fame.

jetlife2

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2004
Cincinnati, Oh
Yes it is that difficult. I believe you have to drop the engine out of the car to do an oil change.

No It's not hard. I change my own oil on my 996 911. The Boxster is similar:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_oil_change/box_oil_change.htm

9 quarts of Mobil 1 should be about $75 ($50 for 6 quarts); filter and crush ring less than $20. So it should be under $100 DIY. You can easily see why it would be $200+ at a dealer by the time they add $100+ per hour for labor.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
You are correct. Alice cooper was the guy.

Just seeing him two Halloween season concerts in a row is indeed a privilege even from the cheap seats it is a fantastic stage show, I am not a golfer but spending time with the dude would be an awesome experience I caught him in Tacoma at the Emerald Queen in 04 for the elected tour then again in 05 at the same venue. well worth what I could afford to pay both times.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
He was stupid - at one point, he's had a $15.000 car that he traded for a $9.000 one?! He should have just sold it.

That was the act that explains, why he's not that good.

The point of the story was that he got kept upgrading without ever having money change hands. Besides, he got something he wanted for something he didn't want, and if he doesn't want the porsche anymore, I'm sure he'll manage to trade for something that's worth even more. He has done it already.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
When it comes to oil change, I'd rather measure things by cubic cm or inch and not by the standard of a kid. That Japanese car in question beats you and Ronald Reagan too. That car is not an "old little Honda" which the original quote was.

All things are relative, old man. Is NSX old? Comparatively yes, the design is around 20 years old by now. Is it little? Next to your average SUV/pickup/minivan or even the new Accord - yes. Is it a Honda? Certainly is even if labeled as Acura in the US. So you will have to excuse it even if it doesn't adhere to standards of a geezer like yourself. Just because it's not what you meant in your original comment doesn't mean it's not the right answer still.

And what does oil change have to do with cubic cm/inches? Those only had a V6 with 3 or 3.2 liters of displacement so I don't think you could call it an oil consumer like a V10 or a V12 would be.

Hankcah

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
So this story is cute and all, BUT turn that porsche into a ferrari and range rover, then ill give him more credit. Also, it's just a boxster (yellow... ew), and im pretty sure he got it at some tacky car sales lot, and its a lemon. Give me the VIN number, ill look it up. This is the norm for people who can't pass a basic programming class. Too harsh...?

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
So this story is cute and all, BUT turn that porsche into a ferrari and range rover, then ill give him more credit. Also, it's just a boxster (yellow... ew), and im pretty sure he got it at some tacky car sales lot, and its a lemon. Give me the VIN number, ill look it up. This is the norm for people who can't pass a basic programming class. Too harsh...?

What's the norm for people who can't pass a basic English class? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.