Tell a newbie if he should buy this Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scottyfrank, Jun 19, 2012.

1. scottyfrank macrumors newbie

I am sorry to make one of these threads because I usually know what is a good deal and isnt but I would like some people who have been involved with macs a while to tell me if I have the steal I think I do.

Ok so I got my first Macbook last year and I loved it. Unfortunately I purchased it with intentions of it being a present to my girlfriend for christmas. After using it for a while I realized how much I loved it and began looking for a new one. I didnt really care what kind of macbook I found as long as it was a comfortable price for a newer model. So finally I believe I have located a good deal.

It is a 2009 Macbook (I am aware they dont make these anymore but like I said "newer")
    -2GB of RAM
    -250GB HD
    -The owner just had the battery replaced
    -iLife '11
    -Microsoft Office '11
    -iWork
    -Photoshop CS6
    -Aperture 3
    -OSX Lion

This is all that comes with it for the price of $400

To me I feel like I have a why are you thinkng about it deal here with the compiled price of the software alone. I would just like to hear it from people who know about this more than me.

Please let me know what you think good or bad all input is appreciated

Thank you

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. scottyfrank thread starter macrumors newbie

The polycarbonate plastic sorry about not including that. I didnt think they made anything but the Macbook Pros in the aluminum unibody that year.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I wouldn't trust a guy selling a computer with software like that preinstalled. I can see why they would have Aperture 3, but Photoshop CS6 which JUST came out like a month ago is $699. iLife could easily be pirated, and iWork could easily just be the trials.

5. scottyfrank thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that it does seem fishy but if everything is legit should I take it now?

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

All the of the software is most likely pirated. $400 is probably about right for a 2009 Macbook without the software. So as long as you are comfortable with the idea that you might lose all the software and what you are really buying is only a Macbook for $400 then go for it. Doing a quick google search, Photoshop CS6 is over $600 alone. Trust me, it's all pirated and an update away from you no longer being able to access it.

7. scottyfrank thread starter macrumors newbie

So all in all am I getting a pretty good deal pirated software or not? I have one other choice currently and that is a 2006 Macbook Pro but Im not sure about it since its so old.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

2006 is too old to buy unless it is really cheap.
    $400 for a 2009 model isn't bad.

For comparison, a refurbished MacBook Air 11" is $759. That is for a "like new" computer.

9. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

The software is totally pirated. But for the actual computer, if it fills your needs in terms of processing is priced about right.

10. scottyfrank thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it will stand for my needs. Unfortunately I found out its not the actual unibody style but its the mid 2009 with the majority of the insides of the late 2009 unibody. Would this make a difference to anyone other than the trackpad. By the way the price is down to 375.