Tell me about your Comcast or FiOS experience...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chrono1081, May 15, 2012.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

I'm going to be moving soon and I have a choice between Verizon FiOS and Comcast....

....Neither are currently in my area so I was wondering what everyones thoughts were about them for internet. I've actually not heard good about either :eek: Although Verizon seems to be the lesser of the two evils (only more pricey for the speed).

If anyone has experience with either company please share it below and help me make an informed decision :)

2. macnjack macrumors member

Since service potentially varies drastically depending on region, you may receive more useful information by indicating where you are moving.

I've used Comcast in northern Washington for two years and have yet to receive an outage. Speeds are generally between 15 and 30 mbps down and 1.5 - 5 mbps up. No complaints other than the lack of competition.

Two friends with Comcast in Portland and Denver both have intermittent service with Comcast and have expressed their dislike regularly.

3. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

4. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I have had the Comcast "triple play" for 2 years now, and have been very satisfied. They recently bumped up my speed, so I am getting 25mbps download and 4mbps upload! The voice portion has been as good as a regular land line. The TV portion is great also. The HD quality is good.

I have not tried FiOS, but from what I hear it's a good service. Unless you really need upload speed, Comcast and FiOS offer similar download speeds (if the Comcast area has been upgraded to Docsis 3.0, which many have been).

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but if you want to change things up a bit, go with FiOS. It is much rarer than Comcast, and I hear it's great.

But based on my experience with Comcast, I would probably go with them if I had the choice because I know it's a reliable service. Not to mention their On Demand library is pretty large.

So if I had to tell you which to go with, it would be Comcast because I have had the chance to experience it and can tell you the service has been good.

The phone portion of both is probably very similar. I hear FiOS' TV picture quality is the best, but my Comcast picture quality has been great too.

5. sigamy macrumors 65816

I've been pretty happy with FiOS, but the TV charges do add up if you have multiple boxes.

I had FiOS internet in my first house and now have the Triple Play in the new house. Both installations were very well done. The installers take a full day, but they take their time and do things right. Not like DirectTV and their free installation where they drilled two holes right in the middle of the side of my house.

FiOS is reliable and speeds are good. I haven't tested in a while because I have no complaints. I think I have 25/25 plan. I used to recycle the router maybe once every three months to re-gain connection. I can't remember the last time I had to do that.

I have multi-room DVR, three other HD boxes, and iMac wired. Then two iPhones, iPad, Apple TV and two laptops connected to my wireless and it all works very well.

6. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I know this probably doesn't make any difference, but you live in the state where Comcast headquarters are located. :)

Anyway, macnjack is right, it depends on where you live. But assuming everything goes according to plan, both FiOS and Comcast offer cutting edge services.

7. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks everyone for the input :)

I ended up going with FiOS. They offered a better package deal than what I could get with Comcast.

Also I know what my bill will be each month with Verizon. Comcast has a promo offer, but no listing of prices after the promo ends so I went with Verizon.