Tell Me i'm Nuts....alum Macbook to Whitebook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by racer1441, Aug 1, 2009.

1. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Well, I'm listing my alum macbook for sale, and looking at replacement options. I'm currently stuck on the idea of moving to the whitebook. I have a pro for work related stuff, but looking for something a little different for the off work times. I'm thinking whitebook, as I can sell the macbook get a whitebook and still have some spare $$$ left over.

So, am I nuts?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

as i am complying with the thread title,

youre nuts lol

but really, if you can make some by selling the ub mb and get the white one, id do it

3. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

4. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Are you seriously selling your home laptop just to be different from work? :eek:

And, really, don't downgrade. The white MacBook is going to be discontinued soon anyway. Never get an old product unless you absolutely have to.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

If a White MacBook will do what you need it to, then go for it. They're still great laptops, and if you wind up with some cash left over, so much the better :)

I'd say you're nuts, but I'm still using a PowerBook G4, so I can't talk :p

6. amitai macrumors newbie

amitai

I would say go for it, EXCEPT you miss out on the sweet new mouse.... :( I really wish my whitebook had the new mouse! It's one of the few things I dislike about this laptop's hardware.

7. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

what makes u so sure it will discontinued the market is still there it still has its buyers if anything they will change it around a lil bit

8. beg_ne macrumors 6502

The whitebook is of significantly lower quality than a UMB/UMBP.

So yes, you are nuts.

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

10. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

you would be going for an inferior product, you're nuts sorry :D

11. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

That's crazy. After getting my MBP I gave my whitebook to my wife and I used it the other day...ugh. The chicklet keyboard is horrible, the white shell is cheap, and the screen sucks. Now, this was on a 2006 MB but still. I'm sure the build quality hasn't changed.

12. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

13. macjay macrumors 6502

Like the iBook was discontinued when the 12" PB came out?

14. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

You're far from nuts. If I'm honest, I bloody hate the new trackpads on the aluminium notebooks And yes the aluminium shell itself feels smooth and luxurious and cool, but when you're as clumsy an oaf as me they just slip out of our hand like the 6am coffee mug.

If I had to choose between getting a free aluminium MacBook (Pro 13") and but loosing Black MacBook, or keeping my MacBook, I'd keep my MacBook. She's pretty, she's fast, she outruns any and every PC in our studios, and she doesn't endeavour to fly out of my hands when I'm not paying attention.

I think you made the right choice. Wolf ∑:•p

15. fireman13 macrumors 6502

I waited till the aluminum ones came out in October because the aluminum was so much more enticing than the white one. Having said that, it's still I great computer and can do everything the aluminum one can. I say your nuts but Go for It.

16. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

If you want the Whitebook, get it, no one is stopping you. It's fine for everyday use and maybe even more.

17. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I've used both for a while. The white one has its advantages. Imho, the palmrest is much more comfortable because it sits a little higher. Keyboard is also more comfortable because the keys have a bit more travel. And the white's screen is (arguably) somewhat superior to non-MBP alum's. So going back to white does have some benefits. However, alum's advantages outweigh its negatives by far, imho.

18. timestoby macrumors 6502

ur not nuts. why wouldnt you want a whitebook? least they have the 9400 now. i have the x3100 and i knew about the new alum macbooks back then but didnt save enuff for the price increase.

although i was pisst when app put the 9400 in the whitebooks and im stuck with the x3100 for the net few years,damn lol.

19. Ericatomars macrumors regular

hmmm... this is a tough one. I got the Alum macbook... and i love it... of course to months after i got it they discontinued it and it became a pro and the price dropped.. of course that happened to me!!! but anyway I was thinking about the white one but i'm in love with this one. and i think even if you sold it your not gonna get that much extra money in your pocket if your planning to but the white one

20. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

If i were you go get the latest blackbook the one before they discontinued it, it's possibly hard to find now a days... so you'll get a rare blackbook

and plus *I saw Funny people, and they had the blackbook in that movie! :D*
    also in twilight they had the blackbook

so yeah just get the blackbook, if you're worried about the performance then just go with the latest whitebook, but if doesn't matter much
    then blackbook ftw!

21. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

True, I guess the white MacBook won't be discontinued soon. However, it just seems to me that since the Unibodies are such a huge leap beyond the polycarbonate plastic design, they wouldn't keep the old for that long. I guess we'll just have to see.

22. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

I really think they should bring the blackbook back, everyone loves the blackbook, it's different, I already own a macbook, and If i were to buy a new macbook, it would definitely be the blackbook, not the unibody version.
    even though UB has the Backlight and awesome LED display, but the blackbook is just sooo sexy! :apple:

23. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Wait, you have a 13" MBP and a 13" MB and want to sell the 13" MB and get a plastic MB? Just to differentiate between work and play?

Nuts.

24. racer1441 thread starter macrumors 68000

It's more of a 'why have two of the same sitting there' sort of deal, why not mix it up a bit.

I could do a straight trade for a air, but I'm not convinced the air can do all I want it to do.

I'm not horribly worried about loosing the trackpad.