tell me it ain't so

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bucharoo1, May 8, 2009.

1. Bucharoo1 macrumors member

Bucharoo1

as much as i love the many things me ipone (sic) does, and as long as i have subconsciously tolerated it, IT IS NOT MUCH OF A TELEPHONE!
    Poor reception, lots of, "hello, hello, you still there?" or "call me back on a real phone." Etc., etc. etc.
    I've a 3G and for simple voice communication, it stinks big time.
    What to do?:confused:

2. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

3. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

I beg to differ. The call function works great for me. Never had a dropped call for as long as I can remember.

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

You're blaming your car for the potholes.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's not the phone, it is the coverage area you are in. This would happen with any 3G phone you get probably. Maybe turn off 3G and just stick to EDGE so it doesn't drop the call.

6. mikey2004 macrumors regular

mikey2004

The only time I've had trouble with phone calls was after installing 3.0 beta 1, I was unable to answer phone calls as the screen would just freeze.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

My iphone has rubbish call quality when I am at home, but when I am at University in the middle of a big city the quality is really good. I would say that you are living in an area with poor coverage.

8. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

I've had my iPhone since December and I've never dropped a call, but have had people on other phones drop me.

So the only thing I can think of is what has already been said...It's your coverage area dude. :\

9. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Since summer of 2007 when I got my iPhone, my wife has had two Palm phones. A treo and centro. Both have been able to get signal where my iPhone won't, and don't drop calls as often.

Neither held up as well as my iPhone, and I just can't go back to the clunky Palm interface.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Live with it. I probably drop about 5-10% of my calls.

And NO, it's not that I live in a bad area. This holds true all over the U.S. I've traveled to a dozen cities with my phone without much difference anywhere.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This has always been my only complaint about the iPhone. For me, it is at best an average phone in terms of call quality.

12. macmedal macrumors regular

I agree the phone aspect is at best mediocre, many times I have had a full 3G signal and had dropped calls, bad reception or trouble connecting to the network, it is the only major criticism I have of the phone.

Hopefully the next software upgrade will bring many more improvements, but lets hope they do not overlook basic phone functionality which I think is lacking.

13. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yeah. Firmware 3.0 is awful when answering calls. The phone will just lock up and I'll be unable to slide to answer. One time it froze and just kept vibrating until I rebooted it.

No worries, it'll be worked out by the time of release. Its still a beta.

14. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

You are in San Fran. ATT coverage is know to suck in that area.

15. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I agree with the OP. I have the original iPhone and live in a major metro area. The iPhone is a cool device but as a phone it's not very good. Reception sucks, dropped calls, failed call setups. It needs to be better.

16. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Hack it, dump AT&T and get t-Mobile :D

17. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

In San Diego...

I drop calls, but I always know where I'm going to drop them: certain intersections, interstate exits, landmarks, etc. While I agree that another phone may not drop the call (never tried), the fact that my dropped calls are based on locations leads me to believe that it's AT&T's network as much as the iPhone.

And yes, it will drop with full 3g signal in those specific locations - I say it's a void of some sort in AT&T's coverage given the locations terrain (cliffs, buildings, bottom of a canyon, overpass, etc.).

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well put.
    The iphone doesnt have a cellphone tower built in unfortunatelly. Maybe in the future :D

19. Bucharoo1 thread starter macrumors member

Bucharoo1

two mo things

my iphone rarely drops calls, my complaint is bad call quality.

i have used other manu's phones on other networks and most were better than the iphone as phone

attitudes (small white car, applejuiced) that accept what Apple puts out there and don't knock crap performance are doing no one any favors. it's called quality control and while we don't get paid to do it, it eventually will make for better products. "live with it" stinks!

20. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

+1 No cell phone carrier out there will have 100% coverage everywhere.

21. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Same here, I know exactly where I'll be dropping calls. I've had T-Mobile for years and I've dropped calls in the same area with my RAZR, BlackBerry, and now iPhone.

Now... the call/sound quality on the other hand... all my previous phones beats the iPhone. Apple could and should look to improve on this issue.

22. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I can only think of one time (several hours) that I have had dropped calls. I was in the Detroit area and all of my cousins were having the same problem with their "other" phones. Outside of that I can't remember ever having dropped calls. I have traveled the Eastern US from Maryland to Florida and outside the US to several places including; Dubai UAE, Istanbul Turkey, Amman Jordan, all over Iraq and Rome Italy. It has not failed me yet. Maybe I got a good one. Either way, I love it and can't imagine using anything else right now.

So...I am telling you, it ain't so...:D

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My iPhone is working no better or worse for me. I can't say I'm disappointed nor am I pleased. The problem areas for my old verizon phone are problem areas for my iPhone. One bit of sunshine in this is that if I keep it on 3g, some of the coverage area improves.

Bottom line for me is that the phone works as expected, my expectations were inline with reality (this time). What I was blown away with was the power/flexibility and ease of use of the phone, and how hooked I came to be on a lot of usage :)

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Call sound/voice quality has to do with network coverage not the phone itself.
    I dropped maybe 1 or 2 calls for the past 10 months with my iphone 3G. Obviously cause my local area has full 3G signal thruout.
    I can hear people and vise versa clear and without any probs.
    If your calls sound bad then you need to check your local AT&T coverage. Not every place is the same and this is not an international issue.