Tell me what App to make

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ZombiePartie, Mar 28, 2015.

1. ZombiePartie macrumors member

Hey everyone!

I am a mobile developer and have made a few Watch Apps so far - tell me what to make! I can give it a shot. I will write a special thanks to you in the app description too if Apple approves it.

Cheers! :apple:

2. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

very interested in helping you out, can you let us know what devs have access to with the SDK? Can you make apps that involve the taptic engine? speakers? what are the "main restrictions"?

3. LarrySJ macrumors newbie

Tell me what App to make

As a guitar player I think that taptic features could be useful as a:

-silent metronome
    -Tuner (taps when note is in tune)
    -a reminder to take a break from practice

I'm sure you'll receive a wealth of ideas on this thread.

4. rcarter3636 macrumors member

Make a tennis app.....if you can get access to HealthKit.

5. ZombiePartie thread starter macrumors member

Good set of questions:

The SDK currently is quite limiting. No access to taptic engine, cannot play sound on the watch (though you can play sounds on the phone via pressing a button on the watch) - and one big thing, there is no way to determine where a user taps.

Outside of these limitations, the graphical interface is limited to sequenced images. So any animation you see on an app, was created with images as opposed to programming shapes/views - at least for us normal devs. Facebook and the like probably have bonus access.

I am interested in minigames in particular - the obvious choice is a Virtual Pet of sorts. Though that seems too straight forward.

----------

I am a guitar player too, already made an app catering to us :)

6. shacky macrumors regular

shacky

Awesome! You got my gears spinning. Here's a couple.

Walkie Talkie ( Since Apple dropped it)
    Where Did I Park My Car?
    Streamer of Video and/or from my iPhone to my Watch

7. ZombiePartie thread starter macrumors member

Car park, I like for sure. We talked about this a bit a couple weeks ago - though haven't fully idealized it yet. Will let you know!

Walkie Talkie is interesting...I might be able to create some unique concept with this.

The streaming would be possible but most likely a huge battery drain right now with the current limitations - high probability of Apple rejecting it.

8. camtechman56 macrumors regular

How about a small Sudoku game to pass the time, or how about a small project manager that would be cool. of coarse it would have to be accessed from the mic for updated and notes sent to the phone :D

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

that's bad that you can't play sounds or have access to the taptic engine.
    C'mon apple

what about away to communicate with other brands of watches, (android) so we can draw message to them etc

10. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

11. ZombiePartie thread starter macrumors member

Project Manager sounds fun - could be pretty simple to make as well. I think when the SDK opens up for native watch apps that is when the big stuff will happen. But in the meantime it will be fun to see what is possible with current limitations. There are some pretty creative things that can be done and I am sure on day one we will see some concepts that we didn't think were possible by devs that figure out neat tricks.

12. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

13. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Taptic phone out of range notifier. Also tacpic morse code SMS and Email reader.

14. staticoranges macrumors newbie

I was going to suggest a tuning app that also has a pitch pipe feature. As a singer, I would love to use my Apple Watch as a pitch pipe.

15. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Here's a simple but neat thing to have on Apple watch. People would love to play TicTacToe with others with an apple watch. Not much graphics involved & fun to play on all platforms. I'd pay for it.

16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

No they haven't. It was in the March 9th press release.

17. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

18. jst1nt macrumors regular

jst1nt

I was just about to say Pong! Simple, elegant, and classic!

19. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

I concur, especially with the first 2.

20. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Is it possible to speak commands with siri to an app?

I was thinking of a dedicated multi-timer while cooking.
    Raise your arm, say "hey siri, set a timer for potatoes, 8 minutes."
    an app then creates a timer with a picture of potatoes in the back, or at least the title which (if you had access to the taptic enginge) would tap you once the timer reaches its end. Like this, you could set up to 10 timers let's say for different stuff. Would be super neat while in the kitchen!!

21. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

A simple, voice-controlled app to track my cash expenses. I'd need to be able to add recurring expenses and income (either on the watch or on a linked app on my phone), but what I'd ideally like is to be able to lift my watch, say, "Siri, I just spent $4 on junk food", "Siri, I just spent $12 on books", "Siri, I just spent $499 on tech" and have it keep track of my discretionary-spending balance (and what I spend my money on) for me.:)

22. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

Something I can use to listen to audiobooks. It needs to default previous/skip buttons on Bluetooth headphones to 15 seconds rewind/forward. You can do this on audible iPhone app.

23. imnick macrumors newbie

This idea is brilliant, would definitely use this.

24. dedufour41 macrumors regular

dedufour41

Definitely would use this.

25. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

A measurement app where you point your hand at one end and then move your hand to the other end. The apple watch would measure the straight line distance between the two points. Actually, I'd definitely have use for an iPhone app that does that.