Tell me why I need 32G over 16G

Discussion in 'iPad' started by connfamily, Dec 3, 2011.

1. connfamily macrumors member

I have a 32G Iphone and have never hada problem with space. I'm hoping to get an Ipad for Christmas, but I'm confused on the size. I really don't want to spend the extra money as I want to get he 3G too.

Tell my why I would need the 32G over 16G

Thanks!

2. RRNYC macrumors member

I have 64 on my iPad and 32 on my iPhone. I use the iPad for work so I need the memory

I would agree if you wanted to downsize memory on your iphone but I wouldn't do it on the iPad. For the amount they charge for the extra space, it's not a bad deal. Plus, as you know, you can't expand the storage space so you will end up with a waste of money

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Safe-proofing. You never know when you might need more space. :)

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Well movies weigh in at a Gig. Really nice games are now over a gig. Magazines can range up to 500MB per issue. It depends on what you plan on using it for.

5. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I have a 16gb iPad and I'm fine with it. But I also only keep about fifteen albums, some music videos, and about four hours worth of other video content at a time on it. I usually average at having about 1.5 - 2.5gb free space.

I keep all of my music on an iPod Classic already, and have the option to stream music from my computer to the iPad using AudioGalaxy, and iTunes Match will probably be helpful as well whenever I start with that. I also use AirVideo and streaming stuff like Netflix, Hulu, and HBO and MaxGo for video content.

Also worth mentioning that I'm not big on games, like, at all. If I wanted more than three or four larger sized graphics intensive games, then I'd probably regret not having a 32gb. As it is though, I'm totally fine and happy with 16gb. Apps are what take up the most space for me, and I still have room for a few movies if I want to store some on the device.

6. 1goodidea macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

iPad apps are bigger than iPhone often. Also if you do any holidaying with it you will need more than 16gb by the time you take some video with you and use it to store holiday snapshots.

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Plus Apple desperately needs the money.

They should quit making the 16GB then no one would get so stressed by being forced to decide.

Decisions are dangerous.

8. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I don't like to have to worry about space or manage which apps I have installed. If I want an app I install it, no need to try and figure out if I have room or shouldn't keep it because I don't use it enough. I don't have a lot of music (like 7gb) but the apps can get pretty large. I'm currently sitting at about 17 gigs used on my iPad. I'll probably go with 32gb (instead of 64gb) next time since I've seen how much I actually use, but 16gb just isn't enough.

9. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I have 16Gb and have yet to fill it up. But:

- I only keep a few albums worth of music on it.
    - Most video I watch is streaming, and when I do watch a downloaded file I delete it after watching. So I don't really store video on it.
    - I don't have many really big games.
    - I'm jailbroken, so if needed I can use a USB drive or sd card for extra storage. I have yet to do this, though.

10. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    There's a lot of terrific content out there and it all looks great on the iPad screen.

I have the 32/3G iPad 2. 12 songs, 8 videos (6 from iTunes U), 68 photos, and 55 apps. 17.6 GB left.

With the 32GB model, you start out with 29.0GB. Am happy with my choice as I know I'll add more than I'll take off.

11. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I have 64GB on my iPad and don't regret it a bit.
    It was only $100 more than the 32GB version.
    Some great new apps go over 1 GB. Mapping software could use up to 2 GB.
    Videos, Movies, Music, iTunes University, your Dropbox synchronized data, your Box.net synchronized data, a few great games, your family photos and videos, magazines, etc.
    Actually, last night I had to delete some stuff, as I exceeded 64 GB by a lot while synchronizing.

Considering you are already spending several 100s on it, why not add a couple 100s more and get the 64 GB model? It's better than regretting it later.

12. darster Suspended

I have the 16GB version with no music or movies on it. I have a seagate 500 GB goflex wifi hard drive that works great if I want to stream movies over my iPad, iPhone or macbook. No reason for me to have more than the minimum sized iPhone or iPad. Was fairly cheap. Only $155 at BB after discounts and reward points.

13. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

If you plan to add video and a lot of apps, 16gb is not enough. There is your answer.

Some apps are over 2gb in size. Most video's are over 750mb. I have over 150 apps, which takes up over 16gb of space just by themselves.

14. henchman macrumors 6502a

I wish I woud have bought the 16 gig.
    I ave the 64 gig, and have a ton of aps, and have only used 6.8 gg.

15. ahbdesign macrumors member

+1

I bought the 32 gig over the 16 gig simply because of the music/apps/videos etc. If u plan to store stuff on it then go for the 32, but if u plan to stream stuff/have a little music/read books most of the time then the 16 will be plenty

16. aneftp macrumors 68040

First of all if you already have an iPhone save your money on the ipad 3G and sign up for tethering plan for $15-20 a month off ur iPhone.

There you go. You save yourself $129 on the 3G model.

17. matttye macrumors 601

I'm only using 3.6gb of my 16 and I've installed about 40 apps.

The biggest space eating culprits are FarmVille and the sun (newspapers).

Oh and I have about a gigs worth of music in spotify.

18. penfan82 macrumors regular

I have 32g only because I got the Verizon iPad 1 fire sale I don't keep alot of music on mine I use my classic for that if I wouldntve bought the Verizon sale I was going to get a 16g iPad 2 unless ur a video music accumulator 16 should be fine

19. B.A.T macrumors 6502

I've got about 2 tbs of movies and tv shows on an external hooked up to a mac mini. I stream whatever I want to my iPad with Plex and I still have tons of memory on my 16gb iPad. If you are not a gamer there are ways to make 16gbs work with plenty of space left.

20. henchman macrumors 6502a

But if you wantbto use it with a fll fledged navigation program that uses to own maps, like I do, you'll need the 3G, since the wifi only model,doesn't have a GPS.

21. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I going to go with a 32 gb model vs. the 16 gb I currently have the next time I upgrade. I find that I like newsstand magazines and if you want to keep plenty of past issues that can be rather large (200-300mb each). Also I found I like to create photo albums on my iPad, so I end up storing a lot of photos.

22. mattg3 macrumors 6502

23. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeh right, not going to happen.

24. Nathan21585 macrumors member

One of my main reasons for an iPad was reading comics and books and those take up space.

25. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have a 16GB iPad 2 and it suits me just fine. I have about 4 movies on there (for travel), 6-7 ebooks currently in the iBooks app, along with about 25 apps. I do not keep any music on my iPad since I store all of it on my iPhone. I believe with all that, I still have about 5-6GB of free space.