Tell Tale Signs Before New Releases/Updates?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phalewhale, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

    phalewhale

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    #1
    Hi everyone,

    What are the tell tale signs to look out for before Apple is going to announce either new hardware or updated hardware?

    I'm thinking along the lines of ship dates increasing instead of showing as 24 hours, stocks at <insert major retailer here> and the like...

    Any tips/ideas?

    I've actually just ordered a new 20" C2D iMac with 2 GB RAM and ATI x1600 256MB card, and I'm seriously tempted to cancel given the latest OS X .10 update (see here).

    I thought I'd recently saw the light and had gotten over my latest/greatest afliction... Am I relapsing??? Ohhh dear, decisions, decisions...

    --
    brill
     
  2. mrchainsaw5757 macrumors regular

    mrchainsaw5757

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    #3
    if i were you, i wouldnt buy that. you know the second you get it they will have a brand new update with something amazing. plus its way overdue for an update
     
  3. benlee macrumors 65816

    benlee

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2007
    #4
    In my opinion apple is waiting to update the imac until after the hype of the iphone calms down. Probably at least 3 weeks. That seems like ample time for everyone that doesnt already know what an iphone is and that it is made by apple and that apple also makes (insert awesome product). Then they release a great imac update to get more attention. Then they wait a couple weeks and they release new cinema displays (hoping) and then a couple weeks later maybe a ultra portable. then leopard.
    So to answer your question the sign for me is to keep on eye on the rumors and as long as nothing else is coming along then wait for a tuesday.
     
  4. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

    djstarrock

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2006
    Location:
    UK, Scotland, Glasgow
  5. phalewhale thread starter macrumors 6502a

    phalewhale

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    #6
    I'm SO SO stuck!!!

    Jee Wiz, I just don't know what to do... I want to wait but at the same time, I want somethin now. I should have learned when I bought this iBook G4. But then again, I really love this notebook, even if it is nearly 2 years old now. It's still gorgeous. Mind you, it's not as gorgeous as the new macbooks... or as fast I'm sure.

    My problem is, I have a little cash and I need to spend it on a new desktop! I'm so impatient.

    I was also gonna buy a 30GB iPod Video to go with it, but I'm just concerned that as soon as I get both, Apple are gonna release better specs for both items.

    Are there ever any signs of production slow downs from the apple website/stores?

    --
    brill
     
  6. superlatic macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Leeds, UK
    #7
    Know the feeling all to well

    ive gone on record on the imac forum on here and on a couple of other forums sayin my patience has run out, and thatt im gonna buy tomorrow..but i just cannot bring myself to spend £1500 on a computer that is due to be updated within the next month, but im only a student untill the end of september, and want the higher ed discount!!!!

    Part of me still saying just buy tomorrow, but another part of me also saying ffs just wait it out, befor end of july we will see new mac pros and/or new imacs!!!
     
  7. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2006
    Location:
    Hoosiertown
    #8
    generally a post goes on the front page of this site, and soonish after we get a result.
     
  8. phalewhale thread starter macrumors 6502a

    phalewhale

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    #9
    So I notice... was just reading an earlier post of yours on AI!
    lol
    I think you have a good point though about the new iMacs possibly having teething troubles. I've heard a few other folk mention rev. a troubles. BTW, what are the probs with the new MBP's?

    My new iMac should be with me by Monday/Tuesday. Got confirmation that it was shipped today. Will most likely sleep on it and be no further forward when it arrives.

    At then end of the day, we could all go on forever delaying stuff until the next new thing comes out... and not get anywhere, or more importantly, anything done!

    --
    brill
     
  9. superlatic macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Leeds, UK
    #10
    Think basically will buy whichever recieves an update first, mac pro or imac. Gut instinct tells me updates are not too far away, and i could probably squeeze a tiny bit more life out of my g4 12"iBook, and with me spending alltogether in the region of £1700, wanna get it right.

    Re MBP troubles, just going off a few posts re MBP screens (dead pixels, yellow tint and flickering)
     
  10. phalewhale thread starter macrumors 6502a

    phalewhale

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    #11
    Well congrats for making a decision anyway. I've just bought a 30GB ipod video. Got a good deal at PC World. Was only £152! The black one is even cheaper at £149!!!

    Think I'm gonna settle for the iMac that comes next week too but I'm still mulling it over...

    BTW... Good luck getting a new Mac Pro for £1700!!! Go and get yourself an iMac today... you know you want to! ;-)
     
  11. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #12
    1. Buyer's guide
    2. You are an idiot to buy an iMac now
    3. I rather spend it on... reams of toilet paper to flush down the toilet! Yeah! That would do!
     
  12. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #13
    You have little cash and you want to spend it on something that came out 10 months ago.

    Anyone else can quote that saying about the fool and his money?
     
  13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #14
    Don't insult him, just tell him to wait. Simple as that, and no one gets mad (or banned). Seriously, wait. New iMacs are just around the corner. Of course, when we ordered our Core Duo iMac, the Core 2s came out a little under a month later, but we appealed to Apple and got them to exchange ours for a new one. Gotta love the sway you have when you keep ALL of the packaging.:D
     
  14. superlatic macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Leeds, UK
    #15
    1) Imacs that come next week??? As in the week commencing 25th June 2007?? You know somethin we dont ;) Was expecting imacs WC july 16th (my bday) absolute earliest

    2) Higher ed discount is a wonderful thing ;) Quad 2GHZ, 1GB RAM, NVidia 7300, BT and AE, 250GB HDD with apple care, just under £1400, plus £200 for a dell 20 inch monitor = 200 plus copy of vista home premium oem for £72, just under £1700 alltogether :)
     
  15. phalewhale thread starter macrumors 6502a

    phalewhale

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    #16
    Stop being silly...


    Hey... Actually I said I have "a little cash", not "little cash" as you put it. There's a difference.

    However, you do make a fair point regarding the wait times. BUT! we've been hearing reports of new iMacs for ages now and they just haven't arrived. If the late July, August rumor doesn't come off, the next logical release wo0uld be with Leopard in October. That's still quite far off for me...

    Tallest Skil, thanks for your diplomatic approach. Appreciated.

    --
    brill
     
  16. phalewhale thread starter macrumors 6502a

    phalewhale

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    #17
    No, I meant the iMac I ordered from the apple store online... Sorry.

    I gotta get me back to university!!!

    --
    brill
     
  17. phalewhale thread starter macrumors 6502a

    phalewhale

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    #18
    Oh, BTW... check this out...

    It'll save you some cash! Might need to get this quick though.

    --
    brill
     
  18. superlatic macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Leeds, UK
    #19
    ta for that :)
     
  19. superlatic macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Leeds, UK
    #20
    ta for that :)
     
  20. superlatic macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Leeds, UK
    #21
    as for teltale signs

    OSX update as you mentioned, esp seeing support for new displays is included

    also, amazon uk store running low on most models as in 2-3 in stock

    i would have said before today the delay caused by adding 500 and 750gb drives but the 500gb drive back down to 3 days now

    however, apple store seemingly have plenty in stock, all ready to despatch in 24 hours in uk, most BTO option take it to 3 working days except 750gb hdd which is still 2-3 weeks

    I think gut instinct, new imacs will be with us between last week in july, first week in august, although still a linger of hope for late june/ early july
     
  21. phalewhale thread starter macrumors 6502a

    phalewhale

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    #22
    I would like to think so. BUT... one thing that is troubling is that the iPhone is coming out next week and I've read on various forums that Apple will most likely want to bask in the glory of it's latest/greatest device for a while, BEFORE releasing ANYTHING that may detract from it's (possibly) most anticipated product of the year..

    What do you all think?

    In terms of stock levels:

    John Lewis have plenty of the 20" iMac in stock but only 1 of the 24" models.
    PC World seem to have below normal stock levels and don't stock the 24".
    The Dixons site doesn't have any 20" or 24" models at all.
    Ebuyer have 10 of the 20" models in stock and no 24".
    Macwarehouse.co.uk will have 13 20" iMac's in stock in 2-3 days but no 24"
    Cancomuk have 20" models but no 24" models.
    Apple.com will ship all standard iMac versions within 24hours.

    So, there's a little research, how should we interpret it?

    --
    brill
     
  22. mikehokie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2007
    Location:
    Fairfax, Virginia
    #23
    Don't waste your money on an iMac right now when they are being updated soon. If you can't wait then get a G5 or CD on ebay for under a grand.
     
  23. phalewhale thread starter macrumors 6502a

    phalewhale

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    #24
    Well, I've already ordered a 20"iMac with 2GB RAM and 256MB ATI card. It should be with me by Monday/Tuesday. I know I can cancel it though as soon as it comes, so I'm just gonna wait and see.

    Just bought a 30GB iPod in black today too... brand new £148 from PC World. Bargain I think...

    --
    brill
     
  24. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

    CRAZYBUBBA

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2007
    Location:
    Toronto/Houston
    #25
    ding, ding, ding, my thoughts exactly. We have a winner!

     

Share This Page