Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
in 2008 i hiked up Mount Fuji.
in 2018 i did a Trail Run up Mount Fuji.
[doublepost=1546339184][/doublepost]
My father was shot by a mass murderer on a shooting spree in 1987 (when I was 4) and lived to tell the tale. He got to make appearances on both Oprah & Geraldo.

since i am not sure if it would be politically correct to give this post a thumbs up, i am taking the time to reply to it.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
While the USS Michigan was visiting San Diego, i met Rick Springfield while he was touring the sub. He sang a verse of Jessie’s girl.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
My paternal grandfather was right handed but lost it in a farm accident when he was in his 30’s. You’d never guess he lost his dominant hand by the way he adapted to his left.

My father was as ambidextrous as anyone I’ve ever heard make the claim. He’d shoot a gun, punch, and write with his right; but would play pool, weld, and use a hammer with his left arm.

Now, I’m hopelessly right handed. While my left arm is stronger than my right, it is otherwise utterly USELESS. It might as well be a boneless chicken dangling from my shoulder.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I have grapheme synesthesia, which in my case means that I see each single-digit number as being inherently colored in my mind. Specifically I see them this way:

The colors here aren't quite adequate :p 0 is white, 4 is yellow-orange, and 9 is red-orange.

People ask me if it ever helped with math. Not particularly. I think it did help me memorize square numbers and a lot of prime numbers, though. It's helped me in recreational mathematics.

I also have number-form synesthesia, which means that I see certain sequences of numbers (like the years 1900-2000) or the numbers 1-100 as forming a "map" in my mind, generally in the shape of a zigzagging staircase. I'm weird. :confused:

Last edited:

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Reactions: thekev

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I have grapheme synesthesia, which in my case means that I see each single-digit number as being inherently colored in my mind. Specifically I see them this way:

The colors here aren't quite adequate :p 0 is white, 4 is yellow-orange, and 9 is red-orange.

People ask if me if it ever helped with math. Not particularly. I think it did help me memorize square numbers and a lot of prime numbers, though. It's helped me in recreational mathematics.

I also have number-form synesthesia, which means that I see certain sequences of numbers (like the years 1900-2000) or the numbers 1-100 as forming a "map" in my mind, generally in the shape of a zigzagging staircase. I'm weird. :confused:
So if you see a 0 on a white background, does it disappear? Or is there some difference in how the white looks?

Also, if you see O with no other context, does it look white when you think it's a zero, then change color when you realize it's an oh, or vice versa?

I'm genuinely curious about this, and those are just a couple questions that popped into mind.

Reactions: willmtaylor

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
So if you see a 0 on a white background, does it disappear? Or is there some difference in how the white looks?

Also, if you see O with no other context, does it look white when you think it's a zero, then change color when you realize it's an oh, or vice versa?

I'm genuinely curious about this, and those are just a couple questions that popped into mind.

I guess for me the background doesn't matter, because it's the mental image of the 0 that's white, so how it appears in print doesn't affect my image of the number. To some extent. If I see color-coded numbers with colors that don't match my own colors, it can throw me off a bit. (I'll see a red 3 and think "no, 3 is blue!")

But 0 and O are distinct. I don't see all letters as colored (nor are their colors as strongly ingrained into my mind as the numbers), but I do generally picture the vowels as colored, so O has an orangey-yellow color and can easily be distinguished from the white zero. My mind will settle on one or the other if the font or writing is ambiguous. (Interestingly I see the letter "I" as black, which is similar in shape to the number "1", also black, yet for some reason 0 and O are quite distinct).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The Picard.

Wait, wut? Q? Not "The Picard?":D
Vash ditched her partner, Sovak, and ran off with the proto-Vulcan's god, "The Picard." TNG: Who Watches the Watchers

I seem to recall that she cheerfully chose to vanish with the immortal and irresponsible Q.

Indeed, in the episode “Qpid” Vash bid Picard a farewell kiss and vanished with Q to explore the universe together.

Some years later they appeared on Deep Space 9 where she went her separate way from Q.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
While the USS Michigan was visiting San Diego, i met Rick Springfield while he was touring the sub. He sang a verse of Jessie’s girl.

While the Chinese Navy vessel Plans Yancheng FFG-546 was making a port call in San Diego (December 7, 2016), a touring visitor blurted out "Don't pay attention to Trump, he's crazy!" (While making the universal gesture of circling his finger about his head.)

An officer posing for photos asked another officer posing for photos to translate. I snapped a photo at just the right moment.

IMG_2080.jpg

----
Lilly Tomlin, Diana Ross, John DeLorean, Jack White, Della Reese, Artie Fields, Big Sean, and David Allen Grier attended my high school. Lindbergh's mother taught there (before my time!). My chemistry teacher had Lindbergh's mother as HER chemistry teacher. One of my Electronics teachers had been a Tuskegee Airman. I like David Allen Grier's character on The Cool Kids. But he look oooooddddd! He was two years after me. I hope it's just the makeup! ;)

I use the Oxford comma.

I was Berry Gordy's paperboy for a while. I never met him (nor did I know who he was at the time). The maid paid the bill. The doorbell was a little keyboard that pulled out from a brass panel. You could play a tune on it.

Last edited:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I guess for me the background doesn't matter, because it's the mental image of the 0 that's white, so how it appears in print doesn't affect my image of the number. To some extent. If I see color-coded numbers with colors that don't match my own colors, it can throw me off a bit. (I'll see a red 3 and think "no, 3 is blue!")

But 0 and O are distinct. I don't see all letters as colored (nor are their colors as strongly ingrained into my mind as the numbers), but I do generally picture the vowels as colored, so O has an orangey-yellow color and can easily be distinguished from the white zero. My mind will settle on one or the other if the font or writing is ambiguous. (Interestingly I see the letter "I" as black, which is similar in shape to the number "1", also black, yet for some reason 0 and O are quite distinct).
Thanks, that's interesting.

I was going to ask about "I", "1", and "l", too, but figured I'd start with zero, and work up from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.