Telling the 3G & 3GS apart - externally?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OMGitsShan, Aug 18, 2010.

1. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

Without switching them on and using settings etc - is there a way to tell the 3G model apart from the 3GS model - just from the outside?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you look at the back of the phones, the "iPhone" and regulatory text on the lower half will be printed in silver on the 3GS. On the 3G models, it's in light grey (non-reflective).

This photo demonstrates the difference.

No, it doesn't.

4. 184550 Guest

My friends 3G is much dirtier and scratched up than my 3GS. That's how I tell them apart. :p

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not quite. The 3GS has a more brighter silver writing on the capacity and model number.

6. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Compare the backsides of the iPhones. Both have shiny "Apple" logos, but only the 3GS has shiny "iPhone" lettering (including regulation info markings, all shiny like a mirror) at the bottom end of the phone.

The 3G has the lettering in nonreflective white/grey silkscreen. Other than this comparison, the two phones look very similar physically/aesthetically.

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4

7. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I think the model number on the back of the 3G s is A1303

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How is that "not quite" does the 3GS and 3G not say 3G or 3GS on the back? :rolleyes: if you're looking to quickly tell then that's how you do it. :rolleyes: Try again son.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the fact you are dead wrong and can't accept that fact.

Also, if it's hard to grasp, not quite, as in, that wasn't it but there is a similar way to diferentiate them.

10. cowsrus macrumors 6502

you should probably

look at this picture.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, I'm asking you plainly, unlike you who clearly has some attitude. Does the iPhone 3G say "3G" and the iPhone 3GS say "3GS" on the rear? If so, then that is how you can tell them apart quickly. Analyzing luminosity of paint is another way, but you're saying I'm wrong in what I've said. Man up, answer the question and whine to me in a PM if you have a problem. Stop ******** on other people's threads because you have some misguided issue with me.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

My my, look who is mad.

I did say how.

13. OMGitsShan thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the help people =)

Actually looking at that Wikipedia image - I couldn't tell since even the fullsize was a bit blurred, but I presume they both have different FCC IDs? That would probably be the sure fire way of doing it.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

From the above link, there does not seem to have a 3g or 3gs designation on the back

edit: saw you responded to same post

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm not mad, I'm asking you a question that you clearly cannot answer. Thank god someone else can.

16. nhlducks35 macrumors regular

It just says iPhone on the back, there is no 3GS or 3G logo on the back. Instead of being a total prick, look at the picture.

Edit: Well I was kinda late.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes the pic, the one posted while I posted? Personal insult aside, I have looked at the pic. Best refresh your browser before you personally insult someone who has clearly asked a question, gotten an answer and now knows. I think you should take your need to insult me and apply it to yourself. ;)

18. Ann P macrumors 68020

Fairly easy. The markings on the back of a 3G are subtle, whereas on the 3GS, they are noticeably darker.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Maybe I am crazy but I clearly thought the 3gs had "3gs" on the back when they first came out

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You know its alot easier to just admit you were wrong or thought there was a marking in the back instead of giving an attitude and starting with the one that corrected you.
    Thats what adults do....

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Perhaps you were confusing it with the box?