Temp MacBook Pro price drop today?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanandersonp, Oct 14, 2010.

1. ryanandersonp macrumors newbie

Hello,

I decided to join this forum because something very very weird happened to me today. I ordered a 15 inch Macbook pro from Amazon yesterday morning, so I was so excited about my purchase that I went to apple.com to continue reading the exact product specifications of my new acquisition. To my surprise, at around 3 pm today eastern time, all the MacBook pro's where being offered at apple.com about $200 cheaper! The 13 inch MACBOOK PRO was $999!!! I said, this can't be! I had just ordered a mac for a lot more money at Amazon, so I went to Google News and typed Macbook pro, and saw all these news about the new press release apple will have next Wed. I immediately went to Amazon and canceled my order. Fortunately, it hadn't shipped yet.

The weird thing is that a few minutes later a went to apple.com to see if they had any news there about any possible updates and to my surprise prices where back to normal!!!!!!! WHAT IS GOING ON???? ANY IDEAS???

Thanks!

Ryan

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Maybe you are mixing MacBook and MacBook Pro? Or maybe you were in education or refurb store? Could have been a glitch (unlikely) or you vision tricked you, hard to say. Maybe you should get some rest :p

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You either were accidentally looking at the macbook which is $999 or maybe you saw the macbook pro for $999 on the education store, I'm not sure what the price is ther. But Apple didn't drop their prices.

4. ryanandersonp thread starter macrumors newbie

I am %100 sure I was looking at the pro cause the other pro's where beneath it with a huge price drop also. They all where like $200 cheaper. Believe me, I double checked those where the pro's and double checked that I was on the official site. It wasn't the educational store because the ask for zip code ect. and I never typed that.

Has something like this ever happened in the past?

5. stphnman20 macrumors regular

6. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

I agree.

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I'd cancel my Amazon order anyway given the Apple Mac event coming on the 20th of this month.

8. James cuck macrumors newbie

James cuck

No price drops on the base systems. However, the memory is slightly less horrifying - used to be an extra grand, and is now $600 or so (looking at a corporate page, so discounts are affecting my estimates some).

Nothing else to see here.

9. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

10. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i agree.

atleast buy a mac after the 20th just incase apple adds a new feature you want.

11. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

The education discount on the pro isn't $200.

12. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I'm sure some changes must be in the offing for the Macbook Pro.

I'm selling an XPS 1645 i7 because of the decision by partners to move toward Apple and Macbook. So I see quite a few differences between two major manufacturers and their current offerings.

XPS: 1333 MHz memory
    Macbook Pro: 1066 MHz memory

XPS: Quad core i7
    Macbook Pro: Dual core i7

Both of them have wonderful screens, but the RGB LED screen of the XPS is a generation ahead of the best high resolution screen on my Macbook Pro.

Apple's challenge will be to get the higher power into the new Macbook Pro line while maintaining the small, lightweight, thin and sturdy frame of the Macbook Pro and its wonderful battery life.

13. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

So is that XPS also getting 9 hours of battery life? ;)

14. tjb1 macrumors 68000

It is on the i7 15" and the 17".

Attached Files:

• mbp.jpg
      mbp.jpg
      File size:
      139.9 KB
      Views:
  15. renboy97 macrumors newbie

I think I know

So today I was on their website and looked at the MacBook pro and was surprised when I saw 999 but then I realized it said £999. I then refreshed the page an it was back to mormal

16. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

Well yeah, but I thought we were talking about the baseline 13". I just bought one in July and the most I have seen off is $100, plus a free iPod.

17. olletsocmit macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

You know this does not mean that they are releasing a computer on the 20th right...?

18. mrdobo macrumors member

mrdobo

It's definitely not guarenteed, but definitely possible. It's 5 days away... it's worth waiting just to make sure.

19. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Yes but now that they are having their big announcement next week it would be silly to buy before next week unless you absolutely need a new computer right now.

20. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Next time screen shot or order a few of them for a small margin of profit when you resell...

21. LoganToth macrumors newbie

Release Date

I am not expecting the new computers to be released the same day as their announcement, but is there any approximation as to when they will be available for purchase? I know there is no true way of knowing, but can anybody estimate according to past announcements vs. releases?

I joined this website just to ask this question because I don't know if I should order my 13" baseline MBP tomorrow (originally planned) or wait until the announcement. And if I do end up waiting until the announcement, am I likely to be disappointed? Will I have to wait weeks before I will actually be able to purchase the computer?

Thanks for any help at all.

22. evilweasel47 macrumors newbie

It is just 6 more days. Wait if you can. Buy it if you need it urgently.

23. Apple NZ macrumors member

You should wait. You wont be disappointed if there is a MBP update as the 13" will likely get a good processor upgrade.

If something new is announced then you might have to wait a while before purchasing, for example the iPad.

If it is just an update to an existing product then you should be able to order shortly after the announcement, and they usually arrive in retail stores in about a week or 2.

24. LoganToth macrumors newbie

How soon is "shortly after?" If I could purchase it that same week (from the Apple Store) I would be happy. I ask because my dad gets his bonus paycheck tomorrow :p and that's why I was planning on purchasing it then. We are paying it all off at once and I am going to give him my cash (no, unfortunately, he is not buying it for me).

25. Apple NZ macrumors member

You should be able to order online within a few hours of the announcement.

I checked how long it took for Mac computers to reach retail stores in New Zealand and its about 1 week from when new models are announced. Might be quicker for Apple Stores in the US.