Temperature missing from weather in Notification Center

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jcphoenix, Sep 26, 2013.

1. jcphoenix macrumors member

jcphoenix

Hi all,

So my notification center seems to decide randomly whether it wants to share the current temperature with me or not. More often not. Which renders it nearly useless for me in the morning.

For example, currently it says "Partly cloudy conditions with low visibility." but it doesn't provide the temperature or today's high or anything else. I turned Location Services on and off, rebooted my phone, and each time it retriggered, it's kept this message without the temperature. My Weather app is working fine complete with my current location and it's got the temperature listed and everything there...

Is anyone else having this issue? I found a few small mentions of it all over but not a whole lot. I thought it was just a really poor design choice but my colleague checked his phone and he's getting the full temperature listing in the notification center...

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I get this sometimes, but I can't figure out the pattern, nor repeat it on demand. Probably some bug with the OS.

3. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Happens to me often. Not sure if it is a bug or intentional. But it is frustrating. Weather display was one of the steps backwards in iOS 7, as much as I love most of it.

4. gamesetmatch macrumors regular

gamesetmatch

My Notification Center shows the current weather conditions, along with the high and low temperatures expected for the day.

What I miss is to have the current temperature right there on NC, in order not to open the Weather app up.

All the best,
    ^MPY

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

As far as I can tell, it's not a bug but rather a stupid decision on Apple's part.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

In order for Notification Center to properly display the weather, and show current temperature, you must leave Weather enabled in location services.

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

The first part is true, the 2nd isn't. The weather info changes and sometimes it decides to show a temperature and sometimes it doesn't.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Weather needs to be on in Location Services to show in Notification Center..been that way since the first beta of iOS 7.

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'm not arguing that. See my revised post.

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yep wasn't revised yet when I quoted you. You are correct on your point - and my two cents - it will show you the temperature in the morning and the evening. In the middle of the day, if it's anywhere close to the high temp for the day, it will only say what the high and low will be.

Now, I'm not saying this is definitely how it is all the time, or how it's meant to be, just what I've mostly noticed on my phone after using iOS 7 for the past 3 months.

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah sorry about that. I don't get why they don't just keep it there. I go back home a lot throughout the day and Dublin's weather is very erratic so I might not need an umbrella or a heavy jacket in the morning but might need it later in the day so I would be able to pick those up whenever I go back home during the day.

Yes I could go into the app but that doesn't explain why they had to remove it and it's an inconvenience (no matter how small it is)

12. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Mine shows current temp. It says "Mostly sunny currently. It's 73; the high will be 86."

13. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Keep checking it, you will notice it won't always give you the temperature.

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Taken directly from an article in Apple Knowledge base.

As for my experience with two different iPhone 5S, neither would show weather until Weather was enabled in location services (this enables local weather which is how Yahoo is able to grab proper forcast)

As far as temperature being shown all day long, haven't checked it that much.

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

You are completely right about location services. We're just wondering why the exact temperature isn't shown all the time.

16. urbancity macrumors member

I can confirm on my 5 that the current temperature isn't always shown. Sometimes it would just give you the current weather condition (without the temperature reading) and the high and the low of the day only.

17. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

This is a view where there is no exact temperature.

Attached Files:

18. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I wonder if the time of day matters. I see currently mine is showing it in the morning. But once it reaches the high and starts to decline it may not need to show the actual temp and just show the high temp for the day.

19. that be me macrumors 6502

My 5s hasn't shown the temperature in about 5 days now. As I mentioned in a previous thread all it shows is that there is limited visibility, even mid-day with no clouds in the sky. Apparently it's been a Yahoo problem.

As for not showing the temperature all the time, I'm not entirely sure.

*edit Just turned on frequent locations in settings and it shows the temperature again. My phone still won't shut up about the low visibility though.

20. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

And I'm guessing at that time, if you checked, the temp would be within a few degrees of 75.

That's definitely the pattern I've noticed - but I agree, I do wish it would always show the current temperature.

21. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Tyler23 seems to think time does matter. I'm still waiting for my 5S so haven't been able to test this myself :p

22. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Thinking alike :cool:

23. fivedots macrumors 6502a

If it is intentional for the reasons stated above, it would make far more sense to drop the high and report the current temperature instead of vice versa.

24. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I'd like to have 5 minutes alone with whoever designed the Today view in Notification Center. ;)

25. fivedots macrumors 6502a

No kidding. It all takes up way too much space. Weather needs to be graphical and events need to be one line summaries like they were before. I don't find the agenda view very useful either, but maybe that's just me. While they are at it, merge the two notification pages because I still have no idea what All vs. Missed means.