Temporary Laptop until new MBP launches

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SyncSpin, May 20, 2012.

1. SyncSpin macrumors member

Hey all.

I am in the market for the brand new MBP when it launches in June. The problem is I listed my iMac for sale and it sold a bit early.

I now need something to tide me over until the new MBP launches.

My plan is to buy a MBAir tomorrow, and then exchange it at APPLE within the 14 day return policy for a normal MBP (On June 4th).

Then return that one for the new model MBP when it launches the following week or so.

My question is: Is there a limit to how many times a person can return/exchange something within certain amount of time? Am I doing anything, "wrong" by doing this? Some may look down on it Im sure. But I need something right now, and since the new one is not yet out I am stuck.

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Its morally wrong to do what you're suggesting, but it's not against the law. I'd suggest using 2 different stores for your purchases though.

Your plan will only work for ~28 days. If the new MacBooks aren't out by then you'll be stuck in the same spot.

3. malman89 macrumors 68000

It's not even against store policy, so no there is nothing wrong at all. Maybe get a 13 then a 15 or a MBA then a MBP to mix it up - even all from the same store - they can't argue at all then.

OP, maybe even mix it up and get an iPad and return one of those while you're at it. That's what I'd do in all honesty if I was in your situation to see if one can actually be productive on an iPad (certain the answer is no, but it's worth trying).

Actually I would probably just wait/get by with work/smartphone/public computers, or consider buying the cheapest netbook around (to probably return within its return window too). Go wild.

4. SyncSpin thread starter macrumors member

True. Based on the data that they will be announced at WWDC they are normally available that Friday. But you're right, I am making an assumption here.

I think I may buy the MBair tomorrow. And instead of doing the second return/exchange, I will just return it for Apple credit/gift card. Then live a week or so using just my iPad.

I would feel less bad doing it that way.

----------

malman89> I can't. I am a web designer/developer. I must have a computer of some kind. I could maybe get by a week or so without one, but not longer than that.

5. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I guess this is one way to get decent refurbs into the system. :rolleyes:

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

If you are going to do that, just buy it from Best Buy. Return window is 30 days there (unless you are RZ Silver, then its 45).

7. intervenient macrumors 6502a

As a poster above me said, if you're going to do this...thing, do it at Best Buy. No restocking fee as opposed to the $100+ you'll pay at Apple.

8. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

14 days for computers.

Do Amazon, overnight it (Prime or not), 30 days with them. Easiest returns ever.

9. SyncSpin thread starter macrumors member

I actually looked into this but everywhere I read said it was 14 days for laptops? Is it really 30 days? if so, that definitely is my answer. I buy it there, and exchange it for the new ones when they come out.

10. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I believe they got rid of the restocking fee quite a while ago.

11. SyncSpin thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm just checked best buy.com and it now says ,"Return & Exchange Period
    30 days for all products"

All products huh? That includes laptops! I may have my plan!

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

13. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Wow, they just must have changed that. That's nice to know. Forget my Amazon plan.

14. SyncSpin thread starter macrumors member

15. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Even if there is a delay at BB return the MBA for your cash back and take the money over to Apple :D

16. Ccrew macrumors 68020

And they'r changing it again June 1, so RZ members get 60 days.

17. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

There is nothing wrong with what you have suggested. Return policy's are in place for that reson.

Also, look at it from the other direction. It is still very possible that the new revision my be something you might not want.

18. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I think some of us have a differing viewpoint of the ethics surrounding this. I pretty much lump this in with buying a big screen TV for that Super Bowl party knowing you're returning it the week after.

19. 7DSniper macrumors regular

I wonder why Best Buy is closing stores, Best Buy or any other business is not your personal FREE rental store. You would have to be a true scumbag to pull this. Return policies are NOT put into place for this type of behavior. Think of all the money you are costing theses business to process your return and then sell that product to someone else at a cheaper price because it's an open box form someone that rented it.

OP your form Michigan and the condition that your state is in in this current economy, I would figure you would want to support business in the best way possible, this is not very good support. Your car companies are gone, with people doing this type of stuff it wont take long for Best Buy and other business to close there as well.

At the end of the day it's up to you to make the right moral choices.

20. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Seriously? Return policies are in place because there are times when someone purchases something that actually doesn't fit their needs, or it's defective. It's not there so someone can use it to get a temporary computer because they jumped the gun and sold theirs too early. I'm not trying to make a moral judgement, just being honest. People can take advantage of return policies and use them this way, but it's pretty obvious that's not what they were actually created for.

OP, I'm not going to make any moral judgements here, but I have to ask...if you rely on your computer to make a living, why on earth did you sell it before the new ones had even been announced? Did you not consider that you'd be without a computer for at least a few weeks?

21. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

He probably wanted to get the best resale value for it.

22. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I understand that may be his reasoning, but for someone who relies on their computer to earn a living, selling that computer before a replacement has even been announced is just a bad business decision. It would be worth it (not to mention much less hassle) to lose a couple hundred dollars on the resale value in order to ensure that you have a usable computer at all times.

23. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

How did your iMac sell earlier than expected? Did you sell on eBay- would have to set a duration. Even if you sold on craigslist, you can control when you list it.

Should have waited to list it.

24. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

Extremely sketchy.

If you go through with this, I wish a pox upon your 2012 MBP.

25. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

I dont judge, I just got opinions, but my opinion on this isn't to friendly. Do you really need a new laptop for less than 2 weeks? Can't you borrow a friend's computer or use your public library's?