"Ten Years Ago I Was..."

Prof.

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago
Ten years ago I was 10 years-old and was in 5th grade at Longfellow Elementary School. It was our first year living in Wheaton, IL.

Your turn!

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I was a Director of Sales for an IT Distributor, was about to leave for a six month project to Canada. Getting my wife and two year old packed for the trip and hoping that the Y2K bug would not cause the world to end.

..oh yes and on New Year's Day Morning I went out to the local gas station and bought Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Thought it was funny that they had them trucked in there.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Ten years ago, I was still in high school. I went to bed early on New Year's Eve, because it wasn't a big deal.

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
Standing on a desk, waiting for Y2K to be a total bust so I could go home.

I was the technical resource for a call center and volunteered to do the late shift because I didn't have anything better to do.

I was standing on a desk because the lab was in a section of the room with 8' walls. So I stood on the desk so I could watch the rest of the people who were playing poker at their desks.

The only calls we got were from drunk executives and managers asking if we'd gotten any calls.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Was at a club in NYC, just the right amount of drunk and hoping all kinds of crazy Y2K **** wasn't going to happen at midnight.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I was unaware of MacRumors (the site began in February 2000) and Mac rumors in general, but had already owned a few Macs.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Living in Oregon, unemployed, no job prospects, staying at my sisters house--now I have a job and a family of my own (I keep them locked in the basement...no one suspects a thing Muahahahahaha)

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Ten years ago, almost to the month, I dropped out of an MBA program despite great grades, to follow something in my region near San Jose called dot.com.

Not only me, but scores of other MBA students, law students, engineering students, college students, high school kids who were technically inclined, even professionals well established in their field, left where they were or what they were doing to seek out a living in this techie boom.

I could say I was a part of the biggest business failure in American history. Thanks for reminding me, Prof.:rolleyes:

At least I was a member here on Macrumors just after Kainjow and just before True777 who are also both still here.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i was in 8th grade...
since then i graduated college and I'm now working for a regional TV network as a content producer...

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Ten years ago, I was in first grade, on vacation in Steamboat, Colorado. Watched a fireworks show, went to bed at 1 or so. My mom tells me that my dad (who at that point, she had been divorced from for nearly two years) drove all the way from Denver and showed at up 3 AM at the party we were at (drunk). I haven't been told much of the events that took place, but it's been implied that they weren't good. :rolleyes:

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Ten years ago, i had started first year highschool. Some schools in WA or AUS it is different. But highschool starts in year 8 here.

We had just bought two new puppies whom we have to this day, and a new computer and outdoor setting. We still the outdoor setting and computer

God technology has come a long way, i remeber the specs of that system like it was yesterday - P3 800 with 128MB, FDD, 4x/4x/24 CD-RW (not combo) 20GB IBM Desktar (deathstar) 17inch CRT and Windows ME. Man the amount of times i had to erase that system because it was so unstable yuk.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
10 years ago, I was getting started in the ad business at the very bottom pushing paper. I had a steady boyfriend of 4 years who I loved very much. I had just moved to a very nice apartment in a really good neighborhood, away from the gang-infested one I had been living in. I had appeared in three independent films making their way through film festivals around the world. Things were very good indeed.

Later, the BF became an alcoholic and was dumped. But everything else kept getting better.