TenFourFox 10 (Firefox 10)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nicklad, Feb 1, 2012.

1. nicklad macrumors 6502

2. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

3. g4 powerbookboy macrumors regular

Just now installed it on my g3 iBook. testing out now. seems to work good

4. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

TenfourFox early adopter, just downloaded the latest, looking good, kudos to the author for keeping this up to date.

5. mightyquin macrumors newbie

Downloaded this on my 'new' Powerbook.

I don't see the advantage - everything seems to work better in Safari 5.......

Please tell me what I'm missing!

6. pistooli, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

pistooli macrumors regular

Excellent! Thanks for the news. Just installed it on an aging PowerBook Lombard. It works. :)

7. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Safari 5? I'm guessing you're on about safari 4 :p

But I also have tested other browsers (safari, camino, tenfourfox, firefox..) and I still think Safari is the best. Maybe not speed wise but it makes up for that on features.

8. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

If he's on 10.5.8 he's using safari 5..

9. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I'm being sincere. I've never liked Safari. Ever.
    What features do you think make up for it? Perhaps I'm just using it wrong.
    I really am being sincere, i'd like to like Safari.

10. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Well, I'd say the main advantage, and the reason anyone who owns a PPC mac should download tenfourfox is that tenfourfox is under active development. How much longer Apple will continue to even give a lick of thought to Safari under PPC is highly, highly questionable.

Besides Safari on the webkit side of things there is Omniweb, and iCab of course. Omni has publicly stated Omniweb PPC days are numbered. Alexander Clausse still supports Panther (though in Panther it sucks, he admits) with iCab, so likely we will have icab for the near future, but that will be the absolute last supported webkit browser for PPC. I am pretty sure the nightly webkit builds are all Intel now, so one day soon you'll have to kiss any webkit browser on your PPC mac goodbye.

In Geckoland right now there is Camino and Tenfourfox. Camino has already stated its days in Geckoland and numbered, and if it keeps active development it will go webkit. Again, no PPC support in webkit. That leaves Tenfourfox. Already Herr Kaiser and his merry band have surmounted HUGE programming obstacles (getting Firefox 5.0 to build on PPC was a technical triumph) to keep feature and source parity with Firefox. Not only that, they have actually brought altivec based enhancements back to Geckoland. Yes, they've dropped plugins for security (which seems to be causual users number one complaint), but as anyone who spends time on this board knows there are so many workarounds to flash does it really matter? Now they've gotten to 10 (the extended stable release) and will be able to build security updates and maintain feature parity without the insanity of new Mozilla releases every fortnight. Tenfourfox Seventeen seems to be the next huge obstacle, but that is a year or more off.

The other hope is Linux MintPPC. The developer of that has gotten Iceweasel (Debian's Firefox) and Midori built for PPC, so likely it wouldn't be a huge programming feat to port that bastard over to Mac OS X, provided he also can keep up with Mozilla.

11. B-G macrumors regular

12. mightyquin macrumors newbie

Correct Sir!

I have downloaded TFF and am playing around with it but I'm in Safari now. I haven't yet found out what TFF does that Safari doesn't.

I'm keen to support something that supports our older machines though. Hopefully I'll learn of the advantages.

13. eyoungren, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

What about:
    Roccat
    Shiira
    Demeter
    Sunrise
    NagaraBrowser
    and Stainless

All Webkit. Admittedly, Shiira and NagaraBrowser don't seem to be actively produced anymore, but the rest seem to be alive, even Demeter which is based off Shiira.

TenFourFox allows you to use the very same addons that Firefox users use. Addons in Safari (or whatever Safari calls them) didn't come along until much later and I have always found them to be difficult to install or work with. TenFourFox is fast and you get the most out of it with tweaking the settings.

Personally, I much prefer Opera, but Opera dropped PPC with version 11 and the versions between 10.20 and 11 were dogs. The only reason I'm not using Opera 10.20 right now is because the user agent for FF only goes up to version 2.x which kills me on many of the sites I visit. At least with TenFourFox I can install a user agent addon (which I have) if I don't like being identified as the latest version of the Firefox browser.

14. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

TFF Works great on my old iMac G4 1GHz as well. Especially after putting Tiger back on the machine. Leopard made it feel like the computer WAS 9 yrs old.

My sister-in-law who is complete Mac illiterate did not have a clue it was almost a decade old machine because it looks and runs better than her 4yr old eMachines desktop.

15. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting those, most are 10.5 only, so I guess I don't think of them. Demeter doesn't seem that active, the latest version for Tiger dates from 2008, and I don't see a download for 2.0, but maybe I am missing something. I hadn't heard of it so I downloaded it and man, its REALLY lightweight and fast, faster than safari or omniweb!

I agree, add ons are indeed a great reason to use tenfourfox. I use flashblock, flashvideoreplacer, downloadhelper and adblock to make browsing slightly more pleasant on my ibook.

16. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I use it for most of my surfing on my G5 and it's the only browser for the G4..

It doesn't do anything "better" than Safari. It handles flash games better than Safari, but safari handles flash based movies better. (Amazon Prime Streaming) If I had to pick one browser it would be TFF just because if we don't use it it'll be dropped and I can't se apple updating Safari anymore.

17. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Kaiser has stated that if only for his own personal use he will keep TFF going as long as he possibly can. He jumped on this project pronto because of his Classilla experience, that is, trying to backport fixes and patches to a seven year old browser is incredibly difficult compared to staying up with current releases. He seems to have some talented help with TFF, which he doesn't with Classilla. Classilla is a one man show.

18. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

We should probably send him a few dollars huh..

19. mightyquin macrumors newbie

Well I'll use it for the fact that it's supporting the G4. Need to explore the add-ons

Mactubes is great for you tube, better than viewing directly I think!

20. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Actually he refuses all donations. In his day job he's an M.D., an infectious disease doc, which pays the bills just fine he says.

21. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Then I guess a thank you and some use will have to be all

22. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Is there a Flashblocker for TenfourFox 10? It says it doesn't supoprt firefox plugin's anymore, and i can't find a built in flash blocker :(

Any ideas?

EDIT- Don't worry got it working :p

23. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

by default, TFF does not support Flash so you'll not need an add on blocker.

24. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I must be doing something wrong. All of my plugins and extensions have worked in TenFourFox since version 4.x. I've never had an issue.

I'm running Flash in TFF. Thus, Flashblock is a useful addon to me. If you use NoScript that also has a Flashblocker in it as well.

25. nicklad thread starter macrumors 6502