Terminal app for iOS4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by minifridge1138, Jun 26, 2010.

1. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Is there an iOS4 compatible terminal app?
    MobileTerminal crashes and I haven't had any luck finding a working alternative.

Thanks!!!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Perhaps you should read the iOS 4 compatibility thread for the answer.

This has been answered already.

3. minifridge1138 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I've always just used my normal SSH app iSSH.

5. minifridge1138 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I downloaded the zip from google
    I verified the SHA1, unzipped it, and placed it in /var/stash/Applications.
    There was no icon and it crashed when it tried to run.

I did a respring and the icon appears, but it still crashes at launch.

Has anyone else seen this?

6. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Yes.

I guessed I'd need to respring before it appeared, and it did. I press the icon, it flashes and drops back to the home page :(

I'm not quite sure how this is classed as iOS4 compatible.

7. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Isn't the new antenna design terminal enough?

(Sorry, I couldn't miss that one!)

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I can attest that this version of MobileTerminal does work with iOS 4. Downloaded it and dropped it into both my old bootrom 3GS's jailbroken on iOS 4 and unlocked with Ultrasn0w.

After a couple of re-springs, it works fine, icon shows up. Used it to change OpenSSH root and mobile passwords, both 3GS's sold for cash tonight.

9. Kissmiazz macrumors newbie

its not. i did about 20 resprings/reboots, the icon did appear after 1st respring but its still instantly crashing after start. really sad that this app isnt ios4 compatible, even month after release..

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You manually installed Terminal-426-unstable from the Google code site? The one in Cydia does not work on 4.0 yet.

11. llpancholl macrumors newbie

Could we get a link to said thread?

12. Teeheeze macrumors newbie

How to make this work!! It's an almost DEFINITE fix :). SIMPLE

So... I have the answer that everyone needs... and, it's REALLY a very simple fix. When you SSH Terminal.app into your applications folder, right click on it, and select properties. You'll notice that the permissions are in fact, correct (0755).. BUT... you MUST remember, to click the checkbox at the bottom that says, "Set owner, groupls and permissions recursively". I had the same problem because I'd forgotten this VERY important step in the process, and it also did not work after several resprings. Now that I checked that after SSHing it since I got frustrated and deleted it when it didn't work, THEN realized.. I needed to do this..

Hope this helps :)

-Tee

13. hidefguy macrumors 6502

not working on iphone 4

downloaded and installed into var/stash/applications. restarted, respringed several times and still not working just opens and closes.

btw. this was on an iPhone 4

14. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

Add the xsellize repo in Cydia and install in through there. That's what I did and it works just fine.

15. Teeheeze macrumors newbie

yes.. im using an iphone 4 as well.. did u do what i said, and right click on the app ( in the ssh program!) then, click on the checkbox that i told u to click on??

16. doolin.nc macrumors member

Or just use PuTTY Tray if you're on a Win32 machine. :p

Using it now and love it.

17. hidefguy macrumors 6502

Yes. FYI I just checked (before submitting reply to this response) and it's now working! Don't know if it just takes time but it's working now so thanks.

18. Teeheeze macrumors newbie

You're very welcome :). In response to Doolin, yeah.. or do that lol. And I've been using it now as well... I've been trying to make it crash because even the link to Google Code says, "Terminal.blah.unstable"... But, I'm yet to have a single issue. I kinda have to say, I lovvvve how it doesn't have that crap feature of the regular terminal app (for 3.1.x on 3G-S/3G) that made that little square, menu like thing pop up. Maybe some people liked the accessability, but I HATED trying to scroll and having that thing pop up. I'm gonna hardcore thank whomever wrote this program, because as far as I know... there's no other version for 4.0, at least on the iPhone 4. Oh.. I have a quick question that's kinda off topic, but since I seriously know no other people who own an iPhone 4 in person lol, I was wondering... I just upgraded to 4.0.1 (after I jailbroke and installed like, 8 gigs of apps and games.. then realized, I needed to restore and not update in order to rejailbreak... which, was f*ckin lame man). When I used 4.0 on my i4, the multi-function feature would freeze up my phone if I tried closing the app in multi-function, sometimes even causing my phone to crash and reboot :-(. Since I upgraded to 4.0.1, for some reason my phone seems to be operating MUCH smoother, and.. the multi-option feature just had 22 apps on it, and.. even with THAT it didn't freeze once. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this same thing, or if I'm just crazy. Sorry about the lost post and off topic inquiry at the end guys lol :).

19. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

:)

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I use iFile on my phone to extract the zip and copy the folder to /var/stash/Applications. I've had no permissions problems doing it that way.

21. sleyeu macrumors 6502

Do I need to change my root password even if I don't have openssh installed

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Not exactly, but if someone stole your phone or you lost it, you’d be vulnerable. Other than that, you’re okay from someone using wifi to get into your phone.

23. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Post 11 (Directly above your post)

24. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

FYI, the one in Cydia (xSellize repp) works now (MobileTerminal iOS, version 426)