Terrible 3G speeds in Utah

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ViperDesign, Mar 18, 2011.

1. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

So I just purchased the iphone here in Utah. The speeds are just horrible. It does not matter if I have 1 bar or all the bars, the speeds are the same.

This is about what I get, this can't be normal

[​IMG]
    iPhone 3G speeds Verizon by 801images, on Flickr

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope they're normal. At least for Verizon.
    Verizon has pretty good ping though, so web pages load up comparably to its AT&T counter. I wouldn't worry about the numbers too much unless loading web pages or accessing Facebook (via the app) is taking painfully long.

3. JamesMB, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Those speeds are "normal" for the CDMA (Verizon) iPhone. You can probably browse just fine, but I don't think you will be able to stream much video. Your ping time seems to be "normal" also.

Attached Files:

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I believe that's Verizon not your iPhone, you can compare it w/ friends that have one in your area to make sure thought.

5. ViperDesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Cool, thanks!

Yeah streaming and browsing are just fine, but for whatever reason speeds tests are terrible.

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I have an AT&T iPhone 4 and work on the University of Utah campus. At work, I get similar 3G speeds (.1-.3 Mbps, sometimes even slower). However, I've noticed that if I do a speed test either early in the morning or on days when class isn't held (holidays, etc), I get MUCH faster speeds (as high as 4 Mbps sometimes). I think the issue is network congestion due to the concentration of students with smart phones in such a (relatively) small area.

Anyway, I mention this because it seems like network congestion can definitely impact 3G speeds, so it's something to think about...