Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
hey guys not sure if you've realised it same as me..

As a long time watch band collector, i'm really annoyed by their QC since this year.. Usually watch bands fit well into the slot on the watch but i've been having issues on the inconsistent thickness now..

Example:
Surf Blue (earlier this yr) felt so thin and cheap.
Cypress green (current release) was so thick i had a hard time slotting into the watch. Also almost dropped the watch wheni couldn't pin it properly at the clasp area with my normal force. Felt like i was punching a new hole into the band..

Did anyone notice these thickness issues? it's really making me think twice about buying new colours of sport bands....

Reactions: twanj

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
All 3 of the Nike sport bands I bought, the M/L part is VERY tight sliding into the watch. The part with the pin slides in just fine.

Reactions: twanj

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I wanted to buy the braided loop, but most photos I've seen of it looks like it has huge gaps on the side and in some cases it shows the stainless steel connector. Really bad at these high prices.
I got the Atlantic Blue braided loop the Friday after launch and I can confirm the gaps on the sides between the lugs and the Watch. This is NOT how it's pictured in the Apple store.

I thought my braided loop was defective and so I initiated a return/replacment with Apple but I've now seen several other user photos with the gap, so I'll wait until my return is processed and then cancel my replacement order.

For me, I just don't like the gap. I think the smooth transition between band and Watch is one of the great design elements of the Watch. I don't think I can put up with that gap. I have lots of other bands I can wear.

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
I got the Atlantic Blue braided loop the Friday after launch and I can confirm the gaps on the sides between the lugs and the Watch. This is NOT how it's pictured in the Apple store.

I thought my braided loop was defective and so I initiated a return/replacment with Apple but I've now seen several other user photos with the gap, so I'll wait until my return is processed and then cancel my replacement order.

For me, I just don't like the gap. I think the smooth transition between band and Watch is one of the great design elements of the Watch. I don't think I can put up with that gap. I have lots of other bands I can wear.

Gawd this is terrible.. adding onto the long shiptimes we are seeing, the wait + QC issue makes it really frustrating cos also can't get a replacement fast..

Gonna get my blue braided loop today, will see how it goes.. but not very optimistic today.. sigh... very disappointing.. the next delivery time for the same band+size is now 13th Nov on my app..

• Sad
Reactions: twanj and artfossil

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
The kumquat sport loop that came with my series 6 Graphite was very snug sliding into the watch. That is the first time I have experienced that.

Great point! actually the only ones i dont have issues (if you ignore all the expensive bands haha) are the sport loops and leather loops, but i don't buy them often..

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
Gawd this is terrible.. adding onto the long shiptimes we are seeing, the wait + QC issue makes it really frustrating cos also can't get a replacement fast..

Gonna get my blue braided loop today, will see how it goes.. but not very optimistic today.. sigh... very disappointing.. the next delivery time for the same band+size is now 13th Nov on my app..
It may not bother you and if so, great! The band itself is gorgeous--the looks, the feel (and the sizing was perfect) but I just didn't like the transition between band and Watch.

Reactions: jaytee86

twanj

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I went into the local Apple store today & the new floor/demo model Obsidian Mist had a lot of trouble fitting into my watch. Even more trouble extricating it, to the point I almost gave up.

Sloppy.

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
I got my Nike bands off of Apple through the EPP store. All 3 of them had issues. I don’t know if it’s the machinery or just human error, but one half of the band would be really loose, and the other half would be really tight. I went to my local store to exchange them but they mentioned because I only paid $44 per band they couldn’t honor the exchange, so I was only able to flat out return them. That was 3 days ago, and they still haven’t refunded me. Though to be fair, they said it could take up to 5 days to process.

And now the shipping times are all skewed for my bands, so I don’t know if I’ll even be able to pick them up between now and winter releases.

ApplePenguin

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2020
I had to have a pride band replaced by apple because the smaller piece wouldn't lock in my watch. They tried to blame my watch initially, it was only because I pointed out the larger half locked in fine that they agreed it was the band rather than the watch. I know a few people who have had similar problems, the QC definitely seems a bit lacking on the sport bands recently.

Reactions: jaytee86 and twanj

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
Ma surf blue and also the linen blue were perfect. With the deep navy I had issues because it seems to be to thick. Never had this issue before.

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
I had to have a pride band replaced by apple because the smaller piece wouldn't lock in my watch. They tried to blame my watch initially, it was only because I pointed out the larger half locked in fine that they agreed it was the band rather than the watch. I know a few people who have had similar problems, the QC definitely seems a bit lacking on the sport bands recently.

i've read somewhere they were shifting watch band production factories to new vendors.. perhaps that's the reason for this high variation in QC.. seems the OG factory is not producing the recent bands..

Reactions: mgscheue and twanj

ryuworks

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Singapore
I had to return my blue Aluminium because the deep navy sport band that came with it won't fit into the slots. This is a serious problem, and unless we raise a stink about it Apple might never find out and make corrections. I wonder if this season's bands are a lost cause.

• Sad

twanj

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I had to return my blue Aluminium because the deep navy sport band that came with it won't fit into the slots. This is a serious problem, and unless we raise a stink about it Apple might never find out and make corrections. I wonder if this season's bands are a lost cause.

Wow, that sucks.

Did you have other bands you could try?

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
hey guys not sure if you've realised it same as me..

As a long time watch band collector, i'm really annoyed by their QC since this year.. Usually watch bands fit well into the slot on the watch but i've been having issues on the inconsistent thickness now..

Example:
Surf Blue (earlier this yr) felt so thin and cheap.
Cypress green (current release) was so thick i had a hard time slotting into the watch. Also almost dropped the watch wheni couldn't pin it properly at the clasp area with my normal force. Felt like i was punching a new hole into the band..

Did anyone notice these thickness issues? it's really making me think twice about buying new colours of sport bands....
I too was shocked how heavy duty the cypress green felt. I wonder if it's just a color composition/material thing?

I preferred the cypress green's heft over the surf lightness

jenicekk

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2017
I bought an aw6 RED and the strap in the package is terrible, it doesn't hold well in the watch, so we bought a second watch and the strap is even worse. So I ordered the third strap separately and I will see the quality. I have never seen such poor quality of the original strap here

jenicekk

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2017
I received the third RED silicon strap in a row, the quality is lousy again! One piece does not fit into the slots and is poorly made pin clicked into the watch!, the other has small black dots in it. I don't know if COVID or apple can try what we can buy.
Snímek obrazovky 2020-10-07 v 14.53.12.png

Last edited:

TwiceNightly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
My Deep Navy and Cyprus Green sport bands are horrible quality, they don’t fit very well into the watch (don’t click much) and are thin and plasticky feeling. They don’t feel rubbery much like the sport bands used to.

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008

I have exactly this problem. I was using the Pride Nike sport band with my SS Series 4 just fine. When I got the SS series 6, the S/M band won’t lock in place, while my other sport bands lock in place just fine. The side with the pin is fine. Like yours, the M/L of the Pride Nike band fits without problem. The problem is only with the S/M piece. Had to return the band. Sucks! I really like the current Pride Nike sport band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.