Terrible experience at Apple store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swy05, Aug 20, 2008.

1. swy05 macrumors 6502

Made an appointment at the genius bar a couple of days ago and went to exchange my phone due to 1) dust forming under the screen and 2) slight rattling noise when shaking my phone (possibly due to something loose inside).

The rep confirms the rattle noise but says to me "It's normal, it's from the accelerometer". I'm thinking in my mind, how the hell is this normal?

He then says to me "This is your 3rd exchanged phone. What's the issue?" I then tell him to look at the previous notes on my exchanges phones. I tell him all of the previous reps confirmed my issues on the previous 2 phones. Phone 1 had improper body construction as well as dust forming underneath the screen. Phone 2 had dust forming underneath the screen after a couple of days.

The rep looks at my account and says "Hold on, I need to speak to a manager".

After a couple of minutes he comes back and says "Ok, we'll do another exchange for you but, this is a courtesy exchange." He then goes and tells me that they can't keep on exchanging the phone for a couple of dust pieces forming underneath the screen. He tells me when the dust gets bad then that's when I can come in for a "true" problem.

I'm like um WTF? How is it not an issue when dust is forming underneath the screen after a few days? Whether it's 100 dust pieces of 3 pieces.

He hands me an exchange and the new phone has 2 HUGE pieces of dust under the screen. I point this out to him and he tries wiping it off (of course you can't genius, it's under the screen).

Needless to say at this point I'm pissed off and tell him Eff it, I'll just keep my old phone and walk out.

I remember someone mentioned that the stores are trying to limit the number of phones being exchanged for a customer. Is that true or did I just meet a ****** genius bar rep?

2. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

I dont have this issue lol my sister dated my Genius rep so I always get good customer service!!!!

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Telling someone to F off when you need them more than they need you isn't all that smart. If the problem was so bad then you should have taken the replacement. The dust is one thing, something moving inside is completely unacceptable. I would have asked them for another phone since you were standing right there. Honestly, it sounds to me as though you're quite coarse with people there. Try to calm down and try to get your phone replaced.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Sounds like the apple store had a terrible experience with you. I'm not sure why you expect sympathy after treating anyone like that.

5. specify macrumors regular

Why did you bother exchanging phone 2? Dust isn't that big of a deal.

6. swy05 thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly.

Not one time during the whole genius bar visit did I get angry or curse. I explained the situation calmly each time.

At the end when I gave the replacement phone back I told the person "You know what...I don't want to waste your time or my time. Forget it, I"ll hold onto my original phone."

The WTF and eff it are thoughts I"m thinking in my mind. Of course I'm not going to sit there and curse at the person.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Where are you seeing the dust? Along the edge of the screen or toward the middle? I've had two 3g iphones myself(exchanged for a different issue) and I haven't noticed any dust *under* the screens on either phone.

I'd be annoyed too btw. Do more dust particles collect as time goes on or do you think the dust gets in at the factory?

8. cristo macrumors regular

If you didn't lose your cool, then why did you do this? Walking out with your original when you have been offered a replacement just shows that the problems you are having with your original phone are not serious, and that you are just being fussy. Also, since you now refused a replacement phone, then I don't see that you will be able to solve the rattling problem: you've implicitly told them that you don't find any problems with the rattling.

I'm all for expecting good customer service, but it sounds like you've got an attitude problem, to be honest.

9. shinenjk macrumors regular

More like the poor mac genius met one bad customer.

My iPhone also makes a "rattling" noise and it's NOT because there's a screw loose in there something. It is exactly what the mac genius said - it's the sensor.

1-2 pieces of dust? Wow. Do you sit around home all day and stare at the iPhone screen? Does it affect the function at all? No, so why do you care so much?

Of course the customer is always the king but your case is too extreme. Thus you get 0 sympathy from me.

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Hold the ringer/silent switch when shaking your phone - boom, rattle gone.

11. Pandora01 macrumors regular

Wow, I have no idea why most people here are so upset with the OP! The biggest concern for me would have been the rattling noise inside the phone. That is not "normal." I highly doubt the phone was designed to make a rattling noise, otherwise, we'd all be able to use our phones as maracas. Which might make for a fun party, but is otherwise annoying.

12. shinenjk macrumors regular

You don't have an iPhone do you? The rattling noise comes from the sensor. You can't even hear it unless you are super close to it while you shake the darn thing.

13. Pandora01 macrumors regular

I do have one, and I just tried shaking it. I don't hear any rattling.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Got any pictures?

Sounds highly unlikely you received the only 4 iphones in existence with any "dust" issues.

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Is this not true for everyone with 'rattle'?

16. swy05 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jeez, it's as if I started WW3.

It's not like the dust was there from the beginning for my phone. After a couple of days use, the dust is forming under the screen. How is this not an issue?

Also the bit about the "accelerometer", according to what people are saying, the rattling is not normal.

If me pointing out these issues I"m having with my phone is a crime then I"m guilty as charged.

And for the last time no, I had no attitude with the genius bar rep. It seems like he was just annoyed that I was back in the store for the same issues.

If I go into a store calm and simply pointing out the issues, I don't expect the rep to be a wise-ass and give me wise-ass remarks.

17. macfearless macrumors regular

man, a little harsh for criticizing the poor guy when you weren't even there. personally, i believe him because I know there are at least one or two "holier than thou, hip, know it all "geniuses" that work at every apple store. you guys are snap bags:rolleyes:

18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It's not the sensor (or at least, it shouldn't be!). Mine makes no noise when you shake it; unless I'm playing Super Monkey Ball at the time...

19. Nickb macrumors regular

dude - ive heard of more than 10 cases where someone has had dust under the screen and taken it back because of this - just because you havnt heard of it doesnt mean it hasnt happened!

to the OP - id go back and complain, i too had a bit of a rubbish experience with a mac genius the other day who told me to go get a replacement from o2 instead of them.

Also dont take any notice of the people above, if its not right, take it back and dont leave until you are happy - im taking mine back again on fri as the back cover doesnt even fit the front, it is well off and i for one am sick of traveling all the way to my nearest shop to replace it!

20. Pandora01 macrumors regular

True, the dust issue was one of the biggest gripes in this very forum when the phone came out. Ad nauseum! LOL

21. Xtgirl macrumors regular

Why is it that so many posters attack the Thread Starter or assume facts that are not in the post, and criticize the Thread Starter for it.

There was no need to attack this person or jump down his throat or make fun of him/her, imply that he/she is a whiner etc...really what's the deal? It's really unnecessary....

I would take it back again later...the rattle would really bother me...dust too, but the rattle would be a deal breaker.

22. Nickb macrumors regular

^x2

well said :)

23. cristo macrumors regular

But, like I said above, he's basically told the guy that the rattle isn't bothering him, since he accepted back the original one. Don't you think that these things will be noted on her account: namely that a rep spent time with her in store, only to have her storm off...?

24. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Just go to another Apple Store or get it replaced via the mail. You paid a lot for the phone and it doesn't matter what people think is a justifiable reason to return it. It wasn't advertised as supposedly having dust under the screen, so it shouldn't. Keep returning it until you get something flawless that satisfies you.

25. swy05 thread starter macrumors 6502

Woah, didn't know my thread would start such mixed responses.

The specs of dust is something I've learned to live with.

The issue with the accelorometer is something I'm a bit more concerned about. I mean, the phone seems fine. I just don't if this slight rattling will manifest into a bigger issue later.

But if the genius bar rep is telling me it's normal, that kind of defeats my inquiry. I guess I can ask them to pick up a demo model and shake it to compare.