Terrible font rendering on external screen?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by sanderbjerkevoll, Apr 21, 2017.

1. sanderbjerkevoll macrumors newbie

Greetings from Norway.

I have the 13" MBP w/ touch bar. I went for a screen with 2560x1440 resolution and USB-C connectivity. The problem is, that when I am using the screen, the text is so pixelated and jagged. And the weird thing is that it doesn't even work changing resolution/scale or using the Zoom function in Accessibility. The text remains jagged and pixelated even when it is bigger. This means that the text is not vector based like it should be.

I have returned the monitor and received a new one, I also tested the monitor on one generation older MacBook Pro connected with HDMI and the problem still remains. The monitor works perfectly on Windows.

I have this monitor: http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/258B6QUEB_00/brilliance-lcd-monitor-with-usb-c-dock/overview

So, what is wrong and how do I fix it?

You can see how pixelated the text is here: http://imgur.com/JZxjf2D

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Jaggy text can look pretty bad. Depends on if the display output is provided as graphics, where the text is considered part of the the image - or the text is font-driven.
    Windows displays text that can be very hardware-agnostic, and the text is drawn in a very different method from macOS.
    macOS is pretty much graphics oriented.
    You can try one of the methods that forces the video to RGB mode. That may fix your issue completely.

Is there a menu in the internal adjustments on the display itself, that will change how video is displayed such as a setting for showing Movies, or Text, or some other setting that "optimizes" the display for different uses?
    You may find that one of those settings will help, too.

3. MC6800 macrumors 6502

4. sanderbjerkevoll thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for answering, but none of the solutions works. I have spent hours looking for a solution on the web, but it seems like it doesn't exist. Do I really need to spend even more money on a 4K-monitor to eliminate the issue?

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

6. sanderbjerkevoll thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried with HDMI on another MacBook Pro, but that MacBook had the same issue as well.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

hmm...
    I wouldn't expect that HDMI would make a significant difference, and I wouldn't suggest that you purchase an unusual cable, if I didn't think it might help.
    There's no setting on the display itself, where there are stored color configurations, like movie, or text, or photo, or game settings that you can try? I had the same issue on my Dell, and the internal settings smoothed the text completely for me.

8. MC6800 macrumors 6502

Do you see subpixel rendering on that monitor if you look at text with a magnifying glass? It will appear as colored edges on text, as you should see on your MPB's display when magnified. I don't see it in your photo.

9. MC6800 macrumors 6502

It seems you don't need a magnifying glass-- just zoom in the display (check System Preferences>Accessability>Zoom, then repeated Cmd-Opt-+). Subpixel rendering no longer works when it's zoomed in since the zoomed pixels don't align with the physical pixels, but it lets you see which fonts are subpixeled. You can also check/uncheck "System Preferences>General>Use LCD font smoothing when available" and see how it changes this (you have to scroll the screen first so it has to redraw it). If your external display is supixel rendered the fonts (system fonts, at least) will have reddish and bluish left and right edges. If not, they have grayscale edges.

Which side is red depends on the arrangement of red/green/blue subpixels within each pixel, so I assume the system needs to interrogate the monitor, and if that fails, no subpixel rendering.