Terrible WIFI performance - UK iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by raymondkerr, May 27, 2010.

1. raymondkerr macrumors regular

Just got my 16GB wifi model today, been using it with my netgear router from virgin internet, the DG834G ADSL. I live in a 2 bed flat, and I can't even get online in the hallway or next room, in my bedroom it has full bars, but as soon as I walk out the room a couple of ft, the bars drop and the iPad disconnects.

Whats the script here ? My iPhone wifi is great, in fact I can even leave the house, go down stairs and outside in the carpark and my wifi still works on the iPhone but not on the iPad.

I heard of problems with the Wifi reception, anyone know of any updates ? I tried resetting my router just in case.
    :eek::confused:

2. jtara macrumors 65816

If your router is dual-band, make sure you are using the 2.4 gHz signal. It will go through walls better than the 5gHz signal.

Note that iPhone doesn't support 5gHz, so that could easily account for the difference between your iPhone and iPad.

Make sure that you set up your router with different names for the 2.4gHz and 5gHz signals. Otherwise, the iPad will be unable to distinguish them. (e.g. mine are "forbin", and "forbin_5ghz")

Otherwise, get a cheap wok and place it behind your iPad, pointing toward the router. ;)

3. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Brightness

When you lose your wifi signal, go to settings, slide the brightness up and down a few times and your wifi should magically reconnect. Don't ask me why this works, but it does.

4. raymondkerr thread starter macrumors regular

I went to netgear, and got the most recent firmware update, it appears to have improved the signal strength now, still drops to 2 bars when going to the other side of the flat, but at least now it doesn't loose the connection.
    :rolleyes:

5. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I have the same router. I hope mines is ok when I get it tomorrow.

6. LondonGooner macrumors 6502

my wifi is brilliant, i have Virgin media 50mb with their wireless n router.

7. raymondkerr thread starter macrumors regular

Check the version of your router, mines is DG834G v4, and I upgraded to the latest 5.16 firmware (I think). I Just don't think the wifi range is quiet as good as the iPhone, but for me, at least it is now working all over the house.

8. gigaguy macrumors 65816

those Brits like to say brilliant. my iPad might be brilliant, but not something we hicks in Texas say about wifi, ya'll. :eek:
    really glad others are getting their iPads.