terrified to go refurbished!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iGuy38, Apr 8, 2010.

1. iGuy38 macrumors member

Okay, next month I'm finally ditching my awful PC laptop and getting a 13 inch MacBook Pro. Since I'm gonna be doing a lot of video editing I'm gonna need 4 gigs of RAM and a 250 HD. To upgrade to these specs is gonna take a little extra money so I went to the refurbished store on Apple's website and discovered some really good deals. One that attracted me the most was a Macbook pro with the exact specs I want for $1299. The only problem I have is that it's been used before and I'm really paranoid that it might not last long or fail on me. I know that it comes with a 1 year warranty, but I don't wanna waste my time exchanging or returning. I'm been told if I pay that mush I better go new, but this is a really good deal. Should I go for it if they have the same deal next month? is it rare for refurbished Macs to fail or have defects? How easy is it to exchange it if it does?

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

my macbook was refurbished with absloughtly no probelms.

3. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Just buy applecare. There, you're set for 3 years against hardware malfunction.

4. jbg95 macrumors member

jbg95

Agreed...absolutely no hesitation about buy Apple Refurbs. I have several refurb laptops and a display, no problems. All have AppleCare, though, just to be safe.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Refurbs are the best. My last two computers have been refurbished, as has my last iPod purchase. Terrific products. I would not hesitate in going for a refurb again.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

Refurbished is a great way to save some money.

I bought my mother a refurbished iPod touch, and it's still going strong 1.5 years later.

The refurbs are inspected and tested extensively, so I wouldn't worry about it.

7. rtmadden macrumors regular

There really is no functional difference between a "refurb" unit and a "brand new" unit. And as it was already mentioned, buying AppleCare will give you three years of protection.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If anything, refurbs will have been individually checked over more than the off the production line new machines.

9. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Many/most refurbs have never been opened. Also, you have a fairly good chance of getting freebies like a bigger HD, more RAM, etc.

The ONLY time I EVER buy new is if there is a BTO option I can't live without. Otherwise, I will wait 3 months to buy refurbished.

10. iGuy38 thread starter macrumors member

Going by all these positve replys I might actually go for it.

11. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Yea my buddy bought a refurb Macbook Pro 13" and got 4GB RAM inside. I guess the person who returned it upgraded it first and forgot to swap out the RAM heh. Free upgrade!

12. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

Another vote of confidence for refurbs here. I bought one and it was the same as new, perfect.

13. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Definitely go for it. From a buyer's point of view, official refurbs is in no way worse than non-refurbs.

If I lived in a region where refurbs were available more frequently, I'd prefer them unless there is a BTO option I'm after for the specific hardware.

14. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Refurbs are in like new condition with a year of warranty. I never hesitate to buy refurbed.

15. mbpcron macrumors member

mbpcron

Refurbs are ok:: suggestion

Bought by MBP as refurb and it was fine.

When you buy a refurb of an already well tweaked version, all the kinks are fixed.

16. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yep, me too, I bought a refurbished 15" MacBook Pro and the only difference I could tell was that it came in a brown box instead of a glossy white one. Not even fingerprints or smudges, no sign at all that it had previously been used, and several years later is still as good as new (minus the wear and tear I've given it, of course).

Buying refurb saved me a pile of money, I think I paid $1399 for it, as it was one model behind the latest and greatest at the time.

17. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

You do not know if a refurb is used or not. Many reasons for a laptop or computer to be returned.

Apple does a complete redo of any computer that is returned. Except for the plan brown box instead of the retail box, you would never know that the computer was refurbished.

I have purchased 2 iBooks, 1 mbp, and a G4 desktop refurbished with no issues.

Go for it, if your unhappy when you get it you can return it. As others have suggested, get AppleCare for 3 years of worry free parts & labor!

18. snberk103 macrumors 603

One more vote for refurb. Our household has both new and refurbed systems. The only system that had problems was the new one.

Check the refurb store often when you are ready (couple of times a day) and pounce when the system you want comes up. Good deals don't last long.

19. akkkmed macrumors 6502

I'm getting my MBP in early June.
    But I read somewhere about the packaging of refurbs. Is it true refurbs come in the same boxes/packaging as new Apple products?

20. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

All of my refurbs came in bland brown boxes. Thank goodness the items inside were perfect and far from bland!

21. Juno364 macrumors newbie

I just got my i5 iMac yesterday from the refurb store. After careful examination of the exterior and testing the screen for yellow tinge, I am happy to say that my machine is 100% perfect. I am really glad I went refurb. The extra $300 doesn't hurt either.

22. akkkmed macrumors 6502

Alright...thanks. That's how my Dell refurb came. I like the REAL boxes :(
    All of the standard pack-ins are included, correct?

23. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

It could depend on where they came from. Suppose Apple announces a new model of MacBook Pro, available immediately... that means all of the existing models in warehouses all over the world are suddenly outdated. One way Apple can clear them out is to throw them all into the refurb store as "previous model" computers. You get a brand new machine in a brand new box, even though you bought it from the refurb store.

I believe that iPods often end up in the refurb store like this when new models are released.

24. ebdreyer macrumors newbie

go refurb

I prefer the cutting edge, so I ahve to buy new; but the various ipods etc that I have bought as refurbs are fine. BTW, applecare is not three additional years; only two, BUT does include free shipping back if there is a problem. i have found it worth it for laptops, but not ipod, or desktops. Absolutely a plus, though,when selling on ebay. Look into buying the plans on ebay as well.