Tesco to Begin Selling iPhone in UK

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BBC News reports that supermarket and retail chain Tesco, the UK's largest retailer, will begin offering the iPhone 3G and 3GS through its Tesco Mobile arm, a joint venture with wireless provider O2.
A spokesperson for the firm said that it hoped to offer the phone "in time for Christmas".

Although Tesco has not revealed tariffs, the spokesperson said that its prices were "competitive".
Tesco has also posted an information page to provide details on its iPhone offerings as they become available.

O2 had held an exclusive agreement with Apple to distribute the iPhone in the UK since its introduction in November 2007, but other companies have recently gained the right to sell the iPhone there, with Orange beginning sales earlier this month and Vodafone set to follow early next year.

Article Link: Tesco to Begin Selling iPhone in UK

KP Nuts

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
Cornwall England
Orange

Having been with Orange for nearly a decade I was keen to get an iphone when they started to offer it. I have been a premium customer spending £2 - 3k a year with them.

However, instead of my usual discounts, Orange claim that their prices are fixed by Apple, and they couldn't offer me any deals despite my loyalty and history of large spending. I personally doubted this was entirely true.

I couldn't help thinking Orange was acting like a spoilt brat strutting around the playground with the latest Barbie Doll waving at everyone smugly refusing to share unless you paid her more sweets than you had pocket money for...

If now that Tesco/Vodaphone/O2 are offering these, maybe Orange will start doing deals, thus proving my suspicions. What do you think?

Price fixing is not cool with me and the adulation of having a phone that didn't even have a keyboard with buttons that click made me stick a couple of well placed fingers up to the game. If the game is rigged you can't win. However, you can't lose if you don't play...

Blackberry Bold 9700 on order. £20 a month, 1000mins, unlimited text + data, and a keyboard!!!!

Stop supporting greed. It's why I can't even afford a council house right now.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Just another step in Tescos plan to sell everything.

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
On a related note though probably no one here will care, Entel PCS will begin selling both the 3G and 3GS iPhones in Chile beginning December 9th. This means all of the three major carriers will have the iPhone, now including the best of them all.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
delay

A spokesperson for the firm said that it hoped to offer the phone "in time for Christmas".

Although Tesco has not revealed details, the spokesperson said that there was a slight "tieup" in Belgium.
Iiiiiiiiiinnnnterrresssstinggg

P.S. That does it, I'm holding out for T-mobile.

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Why are you whining about prices when the phone isn't even what you want. Everyone knows the iphone has no physical keyboard...

Plus if you can't afford that council house, stop spending so much money on your phone contract.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
iPhone is going the way of the RAZR.

I'm also slightly worried now, Apple will need to manufacture a heck of a lot more units to meet demands of all these distribution channels...incressing the possibility defective units and even cheaper hardware components in the 4th gen iPhone

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Stop supporting greed. It's why I can't even afford a council house right now.
If that's the case, then maybe the iPhone isn't for you and you should scout eBay for an old Nokia 3310.

Also, exclusive deals always mean the customer has to pay more than they would if the phone available from multiple carriers in the same country.

iPhone is going the way of the RAZR.
The iPhone works for start.. so it isn't going the way of the RAZR, which was just crappy release upon crappy release.

KP Nuts

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
Cornwall England
Why are you whining about prices when the phone isn't even what you want. Everyone knows the iphone has no physical keyboard...

Plus if you can't afford that council house, stop spending so much money on your phone contract.
OH AND THEN IN 100 YEARS I'LL HAVE A HOME...

Why are you swallowing it is a better question. More people thinking like me, less control given to Apple, Tesco and all the other take take take takers out there. We are pandering to them, because they are cleverer than....YOU. Wake the &^%$ up.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
Having been with Orange for nearly a decade I was keen to get an iphone when they started to offer it. I have been a premium customer spending £2 - 3k a year with them.

However, instead of my usual discounts, Orange claim that their prices are fixed by Apple, and they couldn't offer me any deals despite my loyalty and history of large spending. I personally doubted this was entirely true.
You're right, this isn't entirely true. Apple is most likely receiving a fee for each iPhone sold and possibly some of the monthly contract cost. O2 did exactly the same thing, completely ignored customer loyalty or corporate discounts and it's because so much money is being fed back to Apple.

Apple isn't controlling the prices but a lot of money from the unit sale and monthly contract is going back to Apple.

On your thoughts of competitive-ness I feel that Tesco can't add anything to the market, they may feel the need to discount units more but it's unlikely that O2 will allow them to undercut the current tariffs.

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
UK

Why are you swallowing it is a better question. More people thinking like me, less control given to Apple, Tesco and all the other take take take takers out there. We are pandering to them, because they are cleverer than....YOU. Wake the &^%$ up.
Are you serious? No one is forcing you to buy an iphone.
None of these companies are out to help you, only get as much money as possible from you.

ccuk

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008

Many people are in the same position as you. It's life unfortunately... Also piffling attempts at boycotting the big bad companies isn't going to change your personal financial situations.

cervaro

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
Kent, UK
Given the involvement of O2 with Tesco Mobile, I think this is their way of sticking it to Orange over the Christmas period if they can get enough stock. Sour grapes for losing their iPhone exclusivity agreement.

That said, my iPhone 3G is officially unlocked now, so £20/month for 600 minutes, unlimited texts and broadband (500Mb/month cap) with a Vodafone 30-day SIM will be my stopgap until the 2010 iPhone appears. Better all round signal availability beckons too. Roll on January 7th 2010 :)

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
It was always going to go this way. Just as it was with the iPod.

Phase 1) Offer exclusive product that everyone wants for a huge amount of money. Only early adopters will buy it and those with enough cash to flash but it will seal the product's exclusive fate as must-have item. This is exactly what they did with the first iPhone.

Phase 2) When mass-market appeal is needed to fuel growth - and when competitors are starting to produce copycats at much reduced prices - it's time to lower the price and open up to the mass market. Here you can expand the number of territories available too (and in the case of the iPod, allow Windows users in too). This is the iPhone 3G.

Phase 3) Accelerate growth by offering it in as many places as possible and further refining the price model, add new versions. This is where Tesco comes in. They now need visibility for all those people who say that phones are just for 'calls and texts' - the kind who swore in 2003 that they never needed a mobile phone - and who are unlikely to walk into an O2 or Orange shop. This is now about keeping up momentum, including branching out to other networks.

The iPhone's exclusivity is wearing off now - every Tom, Dick and Harry has one - so don't limit its growth by only offering down a select few distribution channels.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Iiiiiiiiiinnnnterrresssstinggg
P.S. That does it, I'm holding out for T-mobile.
Seeing as T-Mobile and Orange are merging, they'd probably just match each other.

cervaro said:
Roll on January 7th 2010
You mean June 7th 2010? I seriously doubt a new iPhone will come out in January.

daneoni said:
I'm also slightly worried now, Apple will need to manufacture a heck of a lot more units to meet demands of all these distribution channels...incressing the possibility defective units and even cheaper hardware components in the 4th gen iPhone
Apple better stop selling Macs in electronic stores then!

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
yes and no

This is what I don't get about these service providers. If I was ever able to run my own service co., Customers would start out at the high tier pricing and as time rolled on, would get better and better rates. Doesn't this hold? Doesn't it go that it is more expensive to gain a new customer than it is to keep your current one? So you pay for your price of entry, and you're rewarded for your loyalty. Am I just dreaming here? I mean right now, they snag you at a tantalizing price, then BAM six months or a year later you get slapped with the real deal. How can any company expect to build a loyal customer base with a model like that?

Well anyway, there's my rant for the month. As for the rest of your post, sounds like you were bullied twice too many times as a grade schooler and should seek some qualified council.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.