Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest Tesla software adds Ultra Wideband support (UWB) to improve the function of the built-in Phone Key feature in the Tesla app (via Tesla North). Tesla owners can use Phone Key to lock and unlock their vehicles without a physical key.

tesla-red-orange-bg-feature.jpg

Ultra Wideband support provides more precise tracking capabilities than Bluetooth, which means the Phone Key feature will better recognize when an iPhone is near a vehicle to unlock/lock it at the appropriate time. From the release notes:
Ultrawide band (UWB) technology is now available for Phone Key. So your vehicle and Phone Key can communicate with greater accuracy to more responsively lock, unlock, and open Automatic Doors.
Tesla owners will need both a vehicle that supports Ultra Wideband and an iPhone with Ultra Wideband to take advantage of the new capabilities. Enabling the updated UWB key requires going to the Phone Key section of the Tesla app (which must be upgraded to version 4.29.5) and following the upgrade steps.

Article Link: Tesla App Gains Ultra Wideband Support to Improve Phone Keys

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
How much better compared to bluetooth?
Better is always a good thing, just curious for this use case in the real life, how much is perceptible

Reactions: sd70mac

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
Yah also no issues with the existing bluetooth. Only thing that has been lagging recently is the app connecting to the car, previously it would connect to the car remotely within 5 seconds, now days its almost like 20-30 seconds, thats what they need to fix!

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Better is always a good thing, just curious for this use case in the real life, how much is perceptible
MASSIVE on my BMW. Had the Tesla key on two vehicles in the past, but UWB seems to wake and connect MUCH faster, more reliably, and it picks up which of my wife and I are on the drivers side of the car more accurately, which leads to the correct profile being loaded. YMMV, since I am talking across two different car brands, but if Tesla does as good a job as BMW, this should be a big upgrade.

mjr_kong

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2024
MASSIVE on my BMW. Had the Tesla key on two vehicles in the past, but UWB seems to wake and connect MUCH faster, more reliably, and it picks up which of my wife and I are on the drivers side of the car more accurately, which leads to the correct profile being loaded. YMMV, since I am talking across two different car brands, but if Tesla does as good a job as BMW, this should be a big upgrade.
BMW and few others use Apple CarKeys for this, they are either NFC or UWB, and both work great. Once CarKey is placed into the Wallet, everything is handled by iOS directly. Tesla, as always has to do their own thing, so they use "background interactions" which wakes up their app in the background in order to do the "key stuff". This really is just an extension of BLE background interactions which they already used for BLE based keys.

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
Ditto on the app becoming notably slower to wake/realize/activate function in the last 6 months or so.

I've deleted the key, the profile, the app, and set up everything as new, and it is not getting better.

I do not know if it is the app, the car, or ios.

• Wow

sherwinzadeh

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Ditto on the app becoming notably slower to wake/realize/activate function in the last 6 months or so.

I've deleted the key, the profile, the app, and set up everything as new, and it is not getting better.

I do not know if it is the app, the car, or ios.
My trunk doesn't open when I walk up to it in the last 6 months... does yours?

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
Who cares. Give me CarPlay. I'm selling my Tesla when I get back from Europe in July. Just can't deal with the miserable Tesla interface. Three years without CarPlay has done me in.

We'll see what 2025 cars come out in the fall.

Reactions: sd70mac and DaveN

bperrella

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
BMW and few others use Apple CarKeys for this, they are either NFC or UWB, and both work great. Once CarKey is placed into the Wallet, everything is handled by iOS directly. Tesla, as always has to do their own thing, so they use "background interactions" which wakes up their app in the background in order to do the "key stuff". This really is just an extension of BLE background interactions which they already used for BLE based keys.
That’s technically true but to be fair Tesla was using BLE keys before Apple launched car keys in the wallet. Not like the tech was available and they just decided to do their own thing.

breenmask

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2023
I can tell you bluetooth is terrible. works maybe 80% of the time. the other 20% is frustrating.

mjr_kong

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2024
That’s technically true but to be fair Tesla was using BLE keys before Apple launched car keys in the wallet. Not like the tech was available and they just decided to do their own thing.
I was talking about UWB, not BLE. Apple never supported BLE "keys" in Wallet so Tesla certainly had to roll their own. Now with UWB, they had an option to implement CarKeys from the start.

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
"need a vehicle that supports Ultra Wideband"

that's the catch, not the iphone11

• Wow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.