Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Belkin recently came out with the Auto-Tracking Stand Pro for capturing video, and while there are several other similar products with video tracking on the market, we thought we'd test Belkin's because it brings something new - support for DockKit.

DockKit is a feature that provides automated subject tracking technology through the iPhone itself, which means the Stand Pro is the most advanced of the movement tracking stands on the market. Note that the Stand Pro is only for capturing video - it doesn't work with still photos.

The Stand Pro can follow you on camera as you move around a room, offering 360 degrees of panning and 90 degrees of tilting for video calls and recording content. It is compatible with both the front and rear cameras of the iPhone and can be used in either vertical or landscape orientation.

The Stand Pro requires an iPhone 12 or later with MagSafe, because it uses a magnetic attachment to hold the iPhone in place. Pairing to an iPhone is done through NFC, and then the Stand Pro can be used with any app that needs the camera. It works with FaceTime, Instagram, TikTok, WhatsApp, and more, and turning it on and off is as simple as pushing the single button on the device.

With a built-in battery, the Stand Pro can work for up to five hours so it can be used anywhere. When it is plugged in, it can charge a MagSafe iPhone at up to 15W. Belkin includes a five foot USB-C cable and 30W power adapter.

The Auto-Tracking Stand Pro is available from Belkin for $180.

Article Link: Testing Belkin's Auto-Tracking Stand Pro With DockKit

kol77

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2019
East Coast
How do you use the main camera with this?
They don't show it (I haven't seen a video) being used but do indicate in Belkin's literature that front and back work - I assume it just tracks like the front camera (or very similar) but you won't be able to see what your camera is looking at or tracking unless you have camera feeding to a remote monitor (or someone on the front of iPhone watching).

hoorayberet00

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2014
I would love to see it in use with the main camera(s). I am curious how it will be used while in a zoom call with using Continuity Camera. Or is that not how it’s supposed to be used?

Reactions: Bradbitz11

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
They don't show it (I haven't seen a video) being used but do indicate in Belkin's literature that front and back work - I assume it just tracks like the front camera (or very similar) but you won't be able to see what your camera is looking at or tracking unless you have camera feeding to a remote monitor (or someone on the front of iPhone watching).
You can also watch on your Apple Watch or put a mirror up.

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Wonder how it works with multiple people in the room
My guess would be tapping on a face/person locks the focus like may of the drone cameras out there. Tapping an object identifies it to be tracked, rather then depending on recognition of subjects in the view.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rradcircless

Bradbitz11

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
Green Bay, WI
WhiteShadow said:
Wonder how it works with multiple people in the room

hoorayberet00 said:
I would love to see it in use with the main camera(s). I am curious how it will be used while in a zoom call with using Continuity Camera. Or is that not how it’s supposed to be used?

Me too, we are interested in using this in a conference room using Continuity Camera for Teams or Zoom calls, while also AirPlaying the screen to the Apple TV...if it can do all that, it seems worth it.

I know there have been some conflicts with using Continuity Camera and AirPlay at the same time, but there are apps like Camo Camera that can support both at the same time - or we could simply log into the meeting with the iPhone as the camera "broadcaster" and then join with a MBP separately and AirPlay its screen to the Apple TV.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
how many people walk around on a zoom call? Maybe vloggers? You tubers? But they have real cameras. I have no doubt it works well, can't imagine the market is that large that would actually use it (though imagine more will buy it).

Reactions: Riff_Raff

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA

Belkin recently came out with the Auto-Tracking Stand Pro for capturing video, and while there are several other similar products with video tracking on the market, we thought we'd test Belkin's because it brings something new - support for DockKit.

DockKit is a feature that provides automated subject tracking technology through the iPhone itself, which means the Stand Pro is the most advanced of the movement tracking stands on the market. Note that the Stand Pro is only for capturing video - it doesn't work with still photos.

The Stand Pro can follow you on camera as you move around a room, offering 360 degrees of panning and 90 degrees of tilting for video calls and recording content. It is compatible with both the front and rear cameras of the iPhone and can be used in either vertical or landscape orientation.

The Stand Pro requires an iPhone 12 or later with MagSafe, because it uses a magnetic attachment to hold the iPhone in place. Pairing to an iPhone is done through NFC, and then the Stand Pro can be used with any app that needs the camera. It works with FaceTime, Instagram, TikTok, WhatsApp, and more, and turning it on and off is as simple as pushing the single button on the device.

With a built-in battery, the Stand Pro can work for up to five hours so it can be used anywhere. When it is plugged in, it can charge a MagSafe iPhone at up to 15W. Belkin includes a five foot USB-C cable and 30W power adapter.

The Auto-Tracking Stand Pro is available from Belkin for $180.

Article Link: Testing Belkin's Auto-Tracking Stand Pro With DockKit
Hmmmm. Finally a use for my little Bluetooth iPhone camera remote shutter.

steevn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2016
We JUST got one of these last week for the sole purpose of following our toddler around when FaceTiming family and it’s been a game changer.

It does a great job tracking and keeps our hands free to either join in on the call or do other things, which makes the price worth it for us, but I’m also not exactly sure who this is made for.

A few have asked how it does with multiple people in the room and so far it seems to be inconsistent at times, but to be fair it is tracking a running child around which is probably not too likely to happen during conference calls lol.

It does swivel quickly if someone is walking/running past it too which was what we were really needing it to do, and it hasn’t disappointed.

With multiple people in the room it does sometimes decide to track my spouse or I and we have to point the camera back to who we want it to be on, but that is much better than us holding the phone and walking around everywhere, and when it happens our child is not looking at the camera and likely the main reason it readjusts to us instead. I have also noticed after a few seconds of no one being in sight it will spin around to look for someone.

Overall we haven’t looked into everything it might be able to do, but so far it’s been great for us and I would say at least worth a try for someone considering one.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Yeah, fine, but I hardly ever use FaceTime. What I really want is a swing arm tentacle, hanging from the ceiling, that'll swing it around, like. Always keep the phone within FaceID range and so I can see my OTP codes. I have three workstations, plus tablets, in a big U shape, and I go zippin' around all day, with MFA prompts coming at me from every direction. It has to dodge me, but stay close enough at all times. And respond to voice prompts when it guesses wrong, like, "Hey, over here!" and "Get away!" Plus it has to hold a light and a magnifying glass. And reach down and move the mouses on other computers so they stop going to dang sleep all the time. Think I need to have me a talk with ol' Belkin, there...

rbramseyjr

macrumors member
May 23, 2017
atlanta
Yeah, fine, but I hardly ever use FaceTime. What I really want is a swing arm tentacle, hanging from the ceiling, that'll swing it around, like. Always keep the phone within FaceID range and so I can see my OTP codes. I have three workstations, plus tablets, in a big U shape, and I go zippin' around all day, with MFA prompts coming at me from every direction. It has to dodge me, but stay close enough at all times. And respond to voice prompts when it guesses wrong, like, "Hey, over here!" and "Get away!" Plus it has to hold a light and a magnifying glass. And reach down and move the mouses on other computers so they stop going to dang sleep all the time. Think I need to have me a talk with ol' Belkin, there...
... you okay bro?

SantaFeNM

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Santa Fe, NM
This could be good for acting auditions that are self-taped or via Zoom, especially if the actor wanted to go from a seated to standing position or vice-versa. What I would like to know is, is it completely silent? It would be important that the iPhone mic not pick up any sound from the stand's movement.

Reactions: rbramseyjr

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Seems really good. Inbuilt charging with MagSafe is also good even though it will reduce the number of hours the stand can function.

TundraKing

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2021
This may be a great option for those family calls (depending on how its tracking system operates and handles multiple people) and assuming it can be combined with continuity camera/Apple TV and the main Camera.

Combining zooming and tracking can allow for more dynamic and interactive FaceTime communications. If the tracking system gets confused with multiple subjects or objects it may be of little use. I suppose the only way to determine if it works for this type of situation is to try it out..........

TundraKing

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2021
We JUST got one of these last week for the sole purpose of following our toddler around when FaceTiming family and it’s been a game changer.

It does a great job tracking and keeps our hands free to either join in on the call or do other things, which makes the price worth it for us, but I’m also not exactly sure who this is made for.

A few have asked how it does with multiple people in the room and so far it seems to be inconsistent at times, but to be fair it is tracking a running child around which is probably not too likely to happen during conference calls lol.

It does swivel quickly if someone is walking/running past it too which was what we were really needing it to do, and it hasn’t disappointed.

With multiple people in the room it does sometimes decide to track my spouse or I and we have to point the camera back to who we want it to be on, but that is much better than us holding the phone and walking around everywhere, and when it happens our child is not looking at the camera and likely the main reason it readjusts to us instead. I have also noticed after a few seconds of no one being in sight it will spin around to look for someone.

Overall we haven’t looked into everything it might be able to do, but so far it’s been great for us and I would say at least worth a try for someone considering one.
Sounds promising.... We FaceTime often precisely under this scenario as well but use an Apple TV and continuity camera. Maybe worth a try.

boole96

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2023
> Available now…
Latest email from Belkin for me says shipping Dec 27 2024 and I ordered over a month ago!

There are great uses for this outside content creation and business meetings. For example, it’s god sent for anyone who’s toddler FaceTimes with grandparents daily.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
More than 10 years ago, I used this to record myself teaching in the classroom.

I wonder how great this Belkin offering will work in a room with multiple people. Will it be able to reliably lock on to the teacher's face and follow him as he walks around the classroom? Or is this designed to only work when there is just 1 person in the room?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.