Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeitkind

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2017
Well, I'd like to attach a TB2-Raid-enclosure (Areca ARC-8050T2) and behind that an OWC TB2 SATA-enclosure "Thunderbay" with 4 drive bays. AFAIR the OWC enclosure has a PCI-SATA controller inside. No graphics, no audio.
The mini PCIe card hasn't arrived yet, so couldn't test neither Windows nor Linux yet.

cloklis

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2019
Hello, I have a MacPro4,1 upgraded to 5,1 with a Sapphire RX580. Titan Ridge card is installed in slot 3 and working ok. Windows 10 is installed in its own ssd and Mojave is installed in a second one.

Every thunderbolt drive or device showing in Windows in "View Attached Devices" and approved, is showing in Mojave, so far I have tested some TB2 devices from Akitio, ssd tb2, Thunder dock (accepts plug n play in all ports), Thunderquad...

But the main goal is to attach the Pegasus R6 (thunderbolt 2) to this Mac Pro.

In windows, in "Attached Thunderbolt Devices" panel, devices connected hot plug appear immediately and disappear when disconnected, except for de Pegasus R6, Windows is not detecting the pegasus and therefore it can't be seen in Mojave after hot-reboot.

I have tried different Windows versions (1511, 1709, 1809, 1903), both drivers-versions for the Titan Ridge, all driver versions for Pegasus R6 for Windows 10 from Promise site.

The TB2 to TB3 adapter is the one from Apple.

Daisychain won't work with R6.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Zeitkind

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2017
Daisychaining works with any Pegasus Thunderbolt, all have 2 ports. Wheather it's another storage device, an Apple TB-display or a displayport-connection.

Sure that the connection is fine?

cloklis

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2019
Daisychaining works with any Pegasus Thunderbolt, all have 2 ports. Wheather it's another storage device, an Apple TB-display or a displayport-connection.

Sure that the connection is fine?

The Pegasus R6 connected to the Titan Ridge does not show up in windows, I thought, maybe, even if the Promise is not working, maybe the second Thunderbolt from the Promise is working, but it wasn't. That's what I mean with the daisychain not working.

I have 3 Thunderbolt cables and all work with other units, but not with the Pegasus R6 connected to the Titan Ridge.
The Pegasus R6 connected to the MacBookPro with those cables works perfect.

tommy chen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2018
i remember that the first generation of the pegasus wont work on both TB ports in a chain
dont know if the inner or outer the right one was ( i think the outer)

edit: here the info:

PEGASUS_R6.jpg

cloklis

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2019
i remember that the first generation of the pegasus wont work on both TB ports in a chain
dont know if the inner or outer the right one was ( i think the outer)

edit: here the info:

View attachment 849738
No luck, Pegasus R6 still not recognized by Windows 10, both ports tested.
[doublepost=1564005901][/doublepost]
Have a Pegasus R6 here, but not tested any TB devices yet. Prob. in a few days.
Would be great if you could give it a try.

KevinClark

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2019
No luck, Pegasus R6 still not recognized by Windows 10, both ports tested.
[doublepost=1564005901][/doublepost]
Would be great if you could give it a try.

I use a no boot apple video card Wx7100 how to boot from windows 10 to mojave please ?

KevinClark

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2019
Can someone help me to get my ssd mojave seen in my bootcamp 5 on my macpro 2010 with windows 10 please thanks

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Are you trying to boot back to macOS, or just browse the browse the files on your Mojave drive?

Your Mojave’s SSD will be formatted APFS (as opposed to HFS+) and Win10 doesn’t have native support for this relatively new style. Paragon’s APFS for Windows is one solution.

KevinClark

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2019
I run windows 10 on my macpro inside have a titan ridge card which is recognized by the system but the apollo silver with thunderbolt 1 card is not recognized ?

can someone tell me if the titan card works with thunderbolt 1 ?

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
I run windows 10 on my macpro inside have a titan ridge card which is recognized by the system but the apollo silver with thunderbolt 1 card is not recognized ?

can someone tell me if the titan card works with thunderbolt 1 ?

It seems to work with TB1 devices that are not bridges. For example TB1 apple ethernet and firewire adapters work, my external single port TB1 drive works, but the Apple 27" TB display does not (as it has a bridge inside it.)

I would be suspect of any TB1 device with a bridge chip (and likely 2 ports) unless I heard someone specifically tried it.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
It seems to work with TB1 devices that are not bridges. For example TB1 apple ethernet and firewire adapters work, my external single port TB1 drive works, but the Apple 27" TB display does not (as it has a bridge inside it.)

I would be suspect of any TB1 device with a bridge chip (and likely 2 ports) unless I heard someone specifically tried it.
Every Thunderbolt peripheral has a bridge (PCIe switch). It's part of the Thunderbolt controller. The Thunderbolt controller has 4 downstream PCIe lanes and a downstream Thunderbolt port. Some Thunderbolt devices don't expose the downstream Thunderbolt port. Maybe that's what you mean?

The 4 PCIe lanes can be setup by the Thunderbolt controller in different ways to connect between one and four devices:
x4
x2x2
x1x1x1x1
x2x1x1 (I don't remember seeing an example of this one)

I've connected 11 Thunderbolt devices (Thunderbolt 3, Thunderbolt 2, Thunderbolt 1) to my MacPro3,1 using three Thunderbolt 3 ports of two GC-TITAN RIDGE in a Netstor NA255A (which also contains two GC-ALPINE RIDGE that don't work yet). In the pcitree.sh output (with an extra column of notes I added to show the devices), you can see different examples of dividing the PCIe lanes. There is also the example of the Sonnet Echo Express III-D which uses a switch to add 3 slots, and in one of those slots is an amfeltec that uses a switch to add 4 M.2 slots.

TitanRidgeControllers.PNG LotsOfThunderboltDevices.PNG
ApprovedDevices.PNG

Attachments

• netstorlotsofdevices.txt
    32.6 KB · Views: 324
Reactions: JedNZ

KevinClark

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2019
J'ai reinstalle Windows 10 depuis le lecteur DVD vers mon HD SATA interne puis installez le pilote pour ma carte Titan depuis le dvd fourni et j ai installé egalement les derniers drivers UAD
Mon apollo silver + carte thunderbolt 1 branchée avce un cable apple thunderbolt 2 vers adaptateur thunderbolt 3 branché sur la titan

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
J'ai reinstalle Windows 10 depuis le lecteur DVD vers mon HD SATA interne puis installez le pilote pour ma carte Titan depuis le dvd fourni et j ai installé egalement les derniers drivers UAD
Mon apollo silver + carte thunderbolt 1 branchée avce un cable apple thunderbolt 2 vers adaptateur thunderbolt 3 branché sur la titan
In Windows 10, do you see the Details window similar to the one I posted in #417? Your Titan Ridge card should appear there with a NVM Firmware version of 23.00.

In Windows 10, is the Apollo detected when you disconnect and connect the Thunderbolt 3 adapter to the Titan Ridge card? The Apollo should appear in the list of Attached Devices and the list of Approved Thunderbolt Devices similar to the screenshots I posted above.

The Apollo needs to be listed there before you can warm boot into macOS.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
If the Apollo is power on, and it doesn't get detected when you unplug it and reconnect it then maybe it cannot work.

Do you have any other Thunderbolt devices to test? You could try connecting the Apollo to a Thunderbolt 2 device or an Alpine Ridge device.

KevinClark

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2019
That's what i see
If the Apollo is power on, and it doesn't get detected when you unplug it and reconnect it then maybe it cannot work.

Do you have any other Thunderbolt devices to test? You could try connecting the Apollo to a Thunderbolt 2 device or an Alpine Ridge device.
no
[doublepost=1565362174][/doublepost]No I have not other devices to check but is it important to install intel drivers for macpro

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
That's what i see

No I have not other devices to check but is it important to install intel drivers for macpro
I think you have all the Intel Thunderbolt drivers required. There might be slightly newer version somewhere, but I don't think it will fix your problem. Thunderbolt 1 devices may work better with GC-ALPINE RIDGE, but GC-ALPINE RIDGE doesn't work in Mac Pro yet and I don't know if it ever will.

KevinClark

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2019
I think you have all the Intel Thunderbolt drivers required. There might be slightly newer version somewhere, but I don't think it will fix your problem. Thunderbolt 1 devices may work better with GC-ALPINE RIDGE, but GC-ALPINE RIDGE doesn't work in Mac Pro yet and I don't know if it ever will.
S
[doublepost=1565362953][/doublepost]So I will try a thunderbolt 2 card in a apollo in 30 minutes a friend of mine comes with I wanna be sure it’s because of my thunderbolt 1 card
[doublepost=1565363326][/doublepost]thanks my friend for your help i will let you know if it s good with thunderbolt 2 card

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
S
[doublepost=1565362953][/doublepost]So I will try a thunderbolt 2 card in a apollo in 30 minutes a friend of mine comes with I wanna be sure it’s because of my thunderbolt 1 card
[doublepost=1565363326][/doublepost]thanks my friend for your help i will let you know if it s good with thunderbolt 2 card
They also have a Thunderbolt 3 card I don't know if it's compatible with your Apollo device:
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/206371743-Apollo-Thunderbolt-Option-Card-Info

They have a note that the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter is not compatible with certain Windows systems.
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/215731443-Apollo-Thunderbolt-Windows-Compatibility#TB3toTB
I don't know if that applies to a GC-TITAN RIDGE in a Mac Pro or if it only applies to Apollo products. They say:
  • The Apple adapter is incompatible with hot-plugging the adapter into the computer’s Thunderbolt 3 port. However, the adapter is compatible with hot-plugging the Thunderbolt cable into the adapter.
Maybe this means you should try hot plugging the Thunderbolt 2 cable instead of the adapter when you try it in Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.