Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IOMstudio

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2019
Miami, FL
I never told you anything about latency, I don't know anything about your card. I just wrote that with Mojave, HDMI audio works natively with Polaris and VEGA GPUs.

I'm sorry tsialex I got Confused actually it was Joevt who told me HDMI has less latency than Thunderbolt which I think is really good because since the PCI card is made specially for this Audio Interface and by the same company and I was able to make it work via HDMI on Windows maybe is easier to make it work in Mac OS than the thunderbolt option since I think there's no driver for Thunderbolt on Windows

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I'm sorry tsialex I got Confused actually it was Joevt who told me HDMI has less latency than Thunderbolt which I think is really good because since the PCI card is made specially for this Audio Interface and by the same company and I was able to make it work via HDMI on Windows maybe is easier to make it work in Mac OS than the thunderbolt option since I think there's no driver for Thunderbolt on Windows
The VRS8 can be discussed at #264

It's not needed by the Mac Pro because the Thunderbolt drivers are not used to enumerate Thunderbolt devices. The macOS Thunderbolt drivers, when enumerating Thunderbolt devices, will skip Thunderbolt 3 devices that use the older TI82 chip instead of the current TI83 chip for power delivery.

In any case, The VRS8 is Thunderbolt (Mini DisplayPort connector), not Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C connector), and therefore does not use a power delivery chip (for USB-C only) and you'll be connecting via HDMI instead of Thunderbolt.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
Testing with Open Core. I'm pretty sure that the card wasn't recognized like this before...
Thunderbolt?.png

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Testing with Open Core. I'm pretty sure that the card wasn't recognized like this before...
Making a PCIe device appear in the PCIe list has nothing to do with making the PCIe device work. Thunderbolt controllers and many other PCIe devices don't appear on normal Macs in the PCIe list. Only devices with certain Apple properties (related to slots or Thunderbolt) are listed. Actually, if you have a Thunderbolt controller in a Mac slot or a slot connected to a Mac slot, then it will appear. My Mac Pro has two Thunderbolt controllers that appear like they do in your screenshot and it isn't running Open Core or Clover.

A Hackintosh doesn't have the slot properties that a Mac Pro has, so often you won't see any devices listed in the PCIe list. Open Core or Clover can add the properties to make PCIe devices appear in the PCIe list including PCIe devices that aren't connected to a slot.

To make Thunderbolt work, you need to make a kext driver or make modifications to the DSDT or both. The DSDT is modified on Hackintoshes using Clover or OpenCore. People have gotten Thunderbolt to work on Hackintoshes by modifying the DSDT. There is a version of Clover used with automate eGPU EFI that is specifically made for real Macs which can modify the DSDT of the Mac. In either case, the modifications are made in RAM. The DSDT modifications consist of code (ASL -> AML) so it's almost as complicated as making a kext driver.

My card is listed as Unknown in System Information, good to see it listed as a Thunderbolt Controller.
What version of macOS are you running? I'm using Catalina.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks @joevt for the clarification. I was just excited about seeing the card listed that way, and got a bit ahead of myself: it seems that Catalina, not the boot loader, is responsible...

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I've gotten the GC-ALPINE RIDGE to work in my MacPro3,1 as a USB controller. I haven't tried Thunderbolt devices yet because I can't seem to boot into Windows 10 like before. I did recently upgrade my RAM to 64 GB. I know macOS on my MacPro3,1 is super slow unless I include maxmem=63488 in the boot-args nvram variable. I wonder if Windows is having a problem with the 64 GB of RAM. I'll have to start disconnecting stuff from my MacPro to find out.

Update: a fix for slowdown in Windows caused by 64 GB RAM: #30

Last edited:

keyzzo

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2019
Chicago IL
Ok fellas im totally late...i have a

Mac Pro
6 Core
2010 5,1
Running Mac Os High Sierra 10.13.5

And im in need of thunderbolt for a audio interface (universal audio apollo)
I ran across the Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge (Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Card Component)
Will this give me thunderbolt functionality? Without the windows boot option?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Thanks @joevt for the clarification. I was just excited about seeing the card listed that way, and got a bit ahead of myself: it seems that Catalina, not the boot loader, is responsible...
How is your testing for TR in OC? Did you try with latest WEG (you might need to compile it) -wegtree? Are you using an expansion board?
[automerge]1573847688[/automerge]
There is a version of Clover used with automate eGPU EFI that is specifically made for real Macs which can modify the DSDT of the Mac. In either case, the modifications are made in RAM. The DSDT modifications consist of code (ASL -> AML) so it's almost as complicated as making a kext driver.
Joe have you tried that loader on your cMP or is this only for Macs with real thunderbolt?

Last edited:

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
How is your testing for TR in OC? Did you try with latest WEG (you might need to compile it) -wegtree? Are you using an expansion board?

I've put off any testing with a modified SMBIOS because of possible firmware corruption issues (I'm not equipped to properly recover from bricking), and I'm not using an expansion board; consequently, I haven't really noticed any difference compared to without using OpenCore. (For testing hardware acceleration, I'm indeed using the latest WEG for GFX0 rename.)

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I've put off any testing with a modified SMBIOS
I also don't use it, just the VMM flag and the -wegtree. I might get one of these cards for testing cause I am perfectly equipped with a MATT card and an expansion chassis to provide the required power. Unfortunately to test an external display I got to get another expansion (TB3), which I don't have plans buying (unless I find really cheap one)

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Joe have you tried that loader on your cMP or is this only for Macs with real thunderbolt?
I have not tried automate eGPU EFI on cMP. For one thing, the source code is not available. I don't know all the differences between it and clover to know what it's doing to my Mac or what it allows me to do. It might have a greatly reduced set of boot options - I've only tried it on my Mac mini 2018 and it only shows Windows and macOS as options.

Creating an SSDT to make Thunderbolt work might be the easiest way but it's not the method I would want to use because it requires the custom boot loader and it won't allow using a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card inside a Thunderbolt 3 PCIe expansion box which I think would be a useful feature.

Dashboard007

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Hello to every one here,
I really, but really need your help.
I have a Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2010, qua-core 2,8. 32GB and 500 GB SSD, Radeon RX480 8GB. but not monitor, it broke, then I went to buy an Apple Thunderbolt 27 Display, thinking that it has a mini-display port, but dam it was also a thunderbolt port, no I am stuck with a monitor that I can't use, and with a Mac Pro still does a good job for video and picture editing. Now my question is. I bought the Gigabyte GC-titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3,
I did my research, so I got window 10 installed and also the drivers for the PCI card, then I do what people says to do, ( I use boot champ), no problem I am in windows 10 all the drivers are loaded, then I use boot camp to boot into macOS "Mojave", no I am in Mojave- I can see the PCI active, but when I connect the Thunderbolt 3 adapter to the thunderbolt display, it will not work, the monitor is off , I tried both thunderbolt port and nothing, ( I have the DP connect from the video card into the mini-DP GC-Titan).
What am I doing wrong here?
Looks like people have been able to do it, but I can't. Am I missing a program? to activate/disable a promt/command?
BtW my apple display works with no problem when I connect it to my mackbook pro's thunderbolt, I get picture and sound, of course is apple's made, but please someone with more knowledge can guide on how to get this working.

Thanks MR community.

Ivan

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hello to every one here,
I really, but really need your help.
I have a Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2010, qua-core 2,8. 32GB and 500 GB SSD, Radeon RX480 8GB. but not monitor, it broke, then I went to buy an Apple Thunderbolt 27 Display, thinking that it has a mini-display port, but dam it was also a thunderbolt port, no I am stuck with a monitor that I can't use, and with a Mac Pro still does a good job for video and picture editing. Now my question is. I bought the Gigabyte GC-titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3,
I did my research, so I got window 10 installed and also the drivers for the PCI card, then I do what people says to do, ( I use boot champ), no problem I am in windows 10 all the drivers are loaded, then I use boot camp to boot into macOS "Mojave", no I am in Mojave- I can see the PCI active, but when I connect the Thunderbolt 3 adapter to the thunderbolt display, it will not work, the monitor is off , I tried both thunderbolt port and nothing, ( I have the DP connect from the video card into the mini-DP GC-Titan).
What am I doing wrong here?
Looks like people have been able to do it, but I can't. Am I missing a program? to activate/disable a promt/command?
BtW my apple display works with no problem when I connect it to my mackbook pro's thunderbolt, I get picture and sound, of course is apple's made, but please someone with more knowledge can guide on how to get this working.
I don't think the Apple Thunderbolt 27 Display works with the GC-TITAN RIDGE. People have mentioned this problem before. I don't remember anyone getting it to work. One suggestion was to connect an Alpine Ridge based Thunderbolt 3 dock to the GC-TITAN RIDGE, then connect the Apple Thunderbolt Display to that but I don't think it worked. Otherwise, replace the GC-TITAN RIDGE with a GC-ALPINE RIDGE or get a different display.

Dashboard007

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
I don't think the Apple Thunderbolt 27 Display works with the GC-TITAN RIDGE. People have mentioned this problem before. I don't remember anyone getting it to work. One suggestion was to connect an Alpine Ridge based Thunderbolt 3 dock to the GC-TITAN RIDGE, then connect the Apple Thunderbolt Display to that but I don't think it worked. Otherwise, replace the GC-TITAN RIDGE with a GC-ALPINE RIDGE or get a different display.

Dashboard007

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Hi Joevt,

I made it work, by making apple boot system believe I have a Titan Ridge PCI install at the beginning, then remove and put an Alpine, load the GC-Titan drivers first, because the Alpine does not work with BootCamp, there it won't load the drivers when you boot in MacOS.
So again, put a Titan Ridge, install the drivers, restart , remove the Titan and put a Alpine, boot up in MacOS, use BootChamp to boot up on windows 10, then, make sure that your hardware is all normal, no drivers missing, reboot in MacOS using Boot camp, and @_@ let the magic happens.
But, if you turn of the Mac Pro, you are dead, it took me 4-6 times trying to load up the drivers to be recognized by Apple's OS. here is a screen shot.

I wish everybody luck, just one more thing, The Titan is a Re 1.0 & the Alpine Rev 2.0, I don't know if this matters, but I just wanted bring it up to anybody's attention.

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 2.06.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 2.20.27 PM.png

Reactions: martyr

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hi Joevt,

I made it work, by making apple boot system believe I have a Titan Ridge PCI install at the beginning, then remove and put an Alpine, load the GC-Titan drivers first, because the Alpine does not work with BootCamp, there it won't load the drivers when you boot in MacOS.
So again, put a Titan Ridge, install the drivers, restart , remove the Titan and put a Alpine, boot up in MacOS, use BootChamp to boot up on windows 10, then, make sure that your hardware is all normal, no drivers missing, reboot in MacOS using Boot camp, and @_@ let the magic happens.
But, if you turn of the Mac Pro, you are dead, it took me 4-6 times trying to load up the drivers to be recognized by Apple's OS. here is a screen shot.

I wish everybody luck, just one more thing, The Titan is a Re 1.0 & the Alpine Rev 2.0, I don't know if this matters, but I just wanted bring it up to anybody's attention.
Your instructions are unclear. Can you do step by step with proper names and commands?

What is a apple boot system? How do you make it believe you have Titan ridge PCI install at beginning? beginning of what? What Alpine - do you mean GC-ALPINE RIDGE? load the GC-Titan drivers where - in Windows 10? Which GC-TItan drivers? Replace the Titan with an Alpine while the computer is on - isn't that dangerous? Boot up in macOS - warm boot, not cold boot? Turn off the Mac Pro means cold boot which means you need to start over?

Reactions: martyr

Dashboard007

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Sorry mate,
Yeah I was tired when wrote bad.
First , I turn your MP5,1, login , insert your DVD copy of WIN10, turn off your Mac, remove the Mac Hard Drive where MacOS is installed.
2nd, turn on your Mac & hold down ALT / Option key until you hear the booting tone, release it, and wait for the Mac to boot up from the DVD & and install Window 10- make sure you have another Hard Drive: small old school Hard drive is good, I used a 120 GB, install windows 10 on it and after the whole process is done, two things, download boot camp for Windows and install it, also the drivers for the the GB-Titan Ridge PCIe.
After this, restart on windows again, the GB-Titan will be recognized by Windows 10, but for some reason the Thunderbolt ports won’t work, so, turn off the Mac and swap it for the Alpine PCIe rev2, “connect the Thunderbolt adapter 3 to Thunderbolt 2in the port, “very important to have it connected before turn it on”,turn it back on Win10, and now your Apple Thunderbolt Display will work and you will see WiN10 on your screen. Not over yet. Turn off your Mac, connect back your Mac Hard Drive, I use a PCIe adapter for my SSD, and turn ON your MP5,1.
After is on, download and instal Boot Champ, restart and follow this
Boot into recovery (Hold Command + R after turning the mac on)
2. From menu bar find Terminal
3. Type in terminal: csrutil disable
4. Now your MP5,1 will start on Mac,
Launch Boot Champ, and you will see the option to restart on Windows,
The MP5,1 will restart into WIN, now by you doing all this, the drivers are install, the PCIe card is active and your ATDisplay is getting connection, now Very important, the same you did to boot up into Windows using Boot Champ, you will do the same in Windows using Boot Camp and sleet the option to restart into MacOS, once you have done that, your Mac will restart into MacOS and your Thunderbolt works!
please DO not turn off your MacPro5,1 otherwise your drivers for the Alpine PCIe will disappear and your MacOs won’t recognize it. And you will have to redo the process of bootchamp and bootcamp.
I put my MP5,1 into sleep.
I hope this makes sense to you and every else.
cheers!

Reactions: octoviaa

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
4. Now your MP5,1 will start on Mac,
Launch Boot Champ, and you will see the option to restart on Windows,
The MP5,1 will restart into WIN, now by you doing all this, the drivers are install, the PCIe card is active and your ATDisplay is getting connection, now Very important, the same you did to boot up into Windows using Boot Champ, you will do the same in Windows using Boot Camp and sleet the option to restart into MacOS, once you have done that, your Mac will restart into MacOS and your Thunderbolt works!
please DO not turn off your MacPro5,1 otherwise your drivers for the Alpine PCIe will disappear and your MacOs won’t recognize it. And you will have to redo the process of bootchamp and bootcamp.
I put my MP5,1 into sleep.
I hope this makes sense to you and every else.
cheers!
That's a little more clear. But it seems you are connecting the Apple Thunderbolt Display to GC-ALPINE RIDGE instead of GC-TITAN RIDGE? I think this has been done before and doesn't require Windows.

Do any of the other devices on the Apple Thunderbolt Display work (USB, audio, Firewire, Ethernet, Camera) in macOS or Windows?

Dashboard007

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
The camera doesn’t work, but the rest do, I don’t know why @-@! But is not my priority for now, all I wanted was to use my Apple Monitor. Cheers!

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The camera doesn’t work, but the rest do, I don’t know why @-@! But is not my priority for now, all I wanted was to use my Apple Monitor. Cheers!
That's great. I would like to see an ioreg dump of the Apple Thunderbolt Display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.