Tether - ipad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by i-sidd, May 17, 2011.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I just got a 16gb wifi ipad2. I also have att iphone3g with unlimited data. My wife has a iphone 4 with 2gb monthly limit. Both lines are on att family plan.

I would like to know how I can get enable tethering to get internet access on my ipad2 when I am outside traveling.

What do I need to do and is this something that will add cost on a monthly basis or something that I can turn on and off when I need it.

I wont need it much, mostly ipad will be used in the house, but for times when outside.

2. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

You can call att and add tethering plan to your wifes phone, I believe you can turn the option off month by month for when you use it, be careful of prorated data caps though

3. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

1. If you do it on your line, you'll lose your unlimited data.
    2. If you do it on your wife's (my first choice) then she'll get 4GBs to use across both devices and even laptops.
    3. It's an extra 20 dollars per month.
    4. Not sure if it's contract based meaning you'd need to have it for x amount of time. (I doubt it.)

4. iFiend macrumors 65816

You definitely cannot "turn off the option"

Jailbreak your iPhone 3G and her iPhone 4 and get one of the various tethering apps. Problem solved (and much more cheaply)

5. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

YES. Get PDANet since AT&T can packet track and PDANet disguises it. You pay for unlimited data, so you should be able to use it how you please. PDANet is on Cydia once you Jailbreak and is on sale for a one time price of $15.95.

Also I switched from a Blackberry, to Android, to iPhone and had bought my license on the BB, but each time I switched phone types, I emailed their support and they converted the license for the new device for me. They rock.

6. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Do you ave any links on this? If this is true, are you saying this is a safe alternative to losing unlimited data?

EDIT* Found this on their website...

"PdaNet usage is identical to Internet usage on your phone. So it only goes through your data plan. If you have an unlimited data plan (most smartphones do) then you should be covered."

Does anyone use PDAnet? If so, have you heard from AT&T?

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

No doesn't work. Search the forums and iPhone hacksection, people say it doesn't hide data useage and are still getting "stop tethering" notices from at&t while using pdanet

8. HazyCloud, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the response. I'm still in the "I've got unlimited data but want to tether" boat. Guess I won't be enabling until I absolutely need it.

9. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I am in that boat too. Why can't Att just offer what verizon has right now. I wouldn't mind $20 to tether with a 2GB limit and keep my unlimited data. I JB and have tethering apps that I rarely use. I guess I'll do at it until I get caught.

10. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just noticed that the left of the screen has backlight bleeding.

What do I do now? Should I take it to apple store? Will they replace it?

11. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

They will replace it once from what I've read.

12. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Losing your unlimited is no big deal.
    I checked my usage over the past year and maybe came close to 1gig once.
    Mostly my usage (lots of wifi options around me) averaged about 512megs.

So, for around $15 more, I get 4gigs and tethering.

I happily left my unlimited behind.

Unless you are really worried about cost, I would steer clear from jailbroken tethering apps.
    They cost money and depend on the jailbreak community to update when Apple updates their os.

If AT&T finds a new way to detect tethering and makes you get the plan anyway, is MyWi or PDANet going to refund your money???

13. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

[​IMG]

Wow, buckle up! Detour ahead!

14. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

This is kinda what I've been thinking. The most I've used was 1.5GBs and that was during March Madness when I could watch every game from my iPhone. If I did enable tethering, I honestly don't even think I'd hit the 4GB limit unless I was doing some heavy iPad watching.

Of course this all sounds nice and dandy, but something keeps telling me to hold onto the unlimited data.

15. Born Again macrumors regular

I'm sorry I think your giving him incorrect information. Or half truths here.

Keep your unlimited. Jailbreak your Phone

The price you pay to tether your iPad is a drop in the bucket to what you will pay AT&T for usage for tethering.

Even paying for those apps are even optional. I have mywi For free. It's all very easy to use.

And as far as AT&T issuing warnings that's case by case

I tether my 16 gb iPad 2 with my iPhone.

I don't abuse it like the others have.

So please ask more questions ; yOu have options

16. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Nope, the poster is telling the OP like it is. No hiding of info here.

I'd prefer to use it legally.

While it may be a case by case basis (no one but AT&T knows for sure), it's still stated in your contract that you WILL NOT tether unless it's from AT&T.

Also people have already pointed the OP in the jailbreak direction. There's only 2 options. Jailbreak and hope that AT&T doesn't add tethering to your plan or call up AT&T and do it right.

17. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Please list any incorrect information or half-truths that I posted.
    Please.
    Since you quoted me.

18. bobright macrumors 601

So which app(s) are you using to tether from iPhone 4 to the iPad?

MyWi? PDANet or both?

19. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Dude, it's in the post you quoted. The poster clearly states they use the free version of MyWi.

20. bobright macrumors 601

I missed that relax

21. HazyCloud, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

22. Born Again macrumors regular

Sounds like you need to look up what illegal means because there is nothing law breaking you commit when you tether. Again you exaggerate.

If paying more is "right" by all means continue

23. Born Again macrumors regular

Mywi - works great

Add this source

Http://sinfuliphonerepo.com

Thank me later

24. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Again? What are you even talking about?

Maybe illegal was the wrong term, but you've still signed a contract stating you won't.

*grabs popcorn*

25. Born Again macrumors regular

u said this

Unless you are really worried about cost, I would steer clear from jailbroken tethering apps.

How perversely wrong you are - you SAVE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    with a jailbroken phone. You can use miwi - and not PAY A MONTHLY TETHERING FREE

They cost money and depend on the jailbreak community to update when Apple updates their os.

I JUST POSTED A LINK TO FREE TETHERING FOR THE IPHONE - YES I AM YELLING! Updates?! it still works on every version of the iOS - stop lying!

If AT&T finds a new way to detect tethering and makes you get the plan anyway, is MyWi or PDANet going to refund your money???

One month of tethering is more money than the cost of a tethering app from cydia lol - how wrong wrong wrong u are - refund your $$$$?

jesus christ - does apple refund your money when an app stops working?

NOPE - lol - oh i see it - your drinking the koolaid. the At&t koolaid

*takes some of your popcorn and smiles at Zimmy as i chew this popcorn of yours - needs more butter by the way*

:D