Tether iPhone 4 to Mac Help Please

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Maverick1337, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I am on 4.0.1 jailbroken iPhone 4 and I have the newest iTunes 10.0.1 installed. I've tethered my iPhone before to my Macbook just fine and everything runs smoothly. However, I am trying it now with my girlfriends Mac and it's not working. It's not even showing up under networks to connect to. She has the latest version of iTunes 10.0.1 and I know your suppose to open up iTunes so it can see the iPhone. I have my phone plugged in and everything and nothing is happening. Has anyone had this problem and know what to do? Thank you guys in advance for the help.

PS - I am using the commcenter hack method and it's never given me any problems except this.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

First off, you don't need iTunes open. Go to System Preferences > Network. What does it show? A screencap is nice.

3. Maverick1337 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Here is a screen shot. But keep in mind I have added those options, and this is of course with tethering on USB only.

Attached Files:

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well there is a problem. You haven't added your iPhone to the list of network devices.

5. Maverick1337 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Here is another screen shot of what I can "add" for devices. I really don't know how to add a phone as a device. I've read that when tethering a Mac sees and iphone as an ethernet but I don't know if that's true.

Attached Files:

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That is also odd... Have you tried pairing your iPhone via Bluetooth to the Mac?

Edit: I'm signing off due to low battery on my iPhone. On the road between Baton Rouge and Lafayette Louisiana.

Delete the Bluetooth connection there is and make a new one using the Bluetooth Assistant and pairing your iPhone to the Mac. Then connect via Bluetooth. That should unlock USB connection also. Thats how I did it first time on my Mac.

7. The General macrumors 601

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

9. Maverick1337 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Yes tethering is turned on and yes the wire does work because iTunes shows my phone plugged in. I have 2 weird scenarios.

1. When I tried pairing my phone via bluetooth, it showed on my phone as connected, but under networks it showed "No IP Address" under "Bluetooth PAN."

2. When I turn on/off tethering, my iPhone disappears from iTunes then is quickly reconnected or pops back up. This is all a weird situation.

10. Maverick1337 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I finally found the problem or fixed it. I created an Ethernet Adaptor (en3) and then clicked on it and clicked apply and it finally connected. Thanks everyone for the help.