tethering and iOS 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Diode, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Seems that the iphone is doing some sort of "check" to see if your account has tethering enabled.

The new carrier file is 7.0 .... I wonder if this can be hacked through a new carrier file?

Attached Files:

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

This was always the case - just not exactly before because AT&T never offered it. This time, I doubt it can be hacked through a carrier file because Apple 'fixed' that with 3.0.1. You'll have to JB and use an App like Mywi, or pay for tethering, or wait for another solution ...

3. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

4. OceanView macrumors 65816

5. Diode thread starter macrumors 68020

Diode

Yea but in 3.x the option didn't even show up unless you hacked the comm file. Now it does but it's pinging something.

6. Panchophone macrumors newbie

You say "pay for tethering".
    Is that some new plan that is available with the new iphone4 ?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, tethering is supported on AT&T with iOS 4.

8. Panchophone macrumors newbie

I know, but the question is, "Is that some new plan that is available with the new iphone4 ?"
    ATT has not offered tethering before, though it has appeared in OS as an option.
    So, is ATT offering tethering on the iphone4 now, which was not previously available from ATT except on its Blackberry ?

PS. Issue might be US vs NZ

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, they are offering official tethering plans now with your iphone data for an additional fee.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Tethering is supported with AT&T with iOS 4. You do not need an iPhone 4 device; it will work with an earlier device. Is that what you're trying to ask?

11. fs454 macrumors 68000

Tethering is supported ONLY if you agree to lose unlimited data forever and get the 2GB plan. Don't do it. Use hacks.

12. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

I used a carrier file and got tethering back in 3.1.3, it is jailbroken though.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

AT&T may come down on people using hacks, now that there is an official plan. Keep that in mind.

14. OceanView macrumors 65816

AT&T tether option is a rip off. Just not right to charge you to tether without giving you more data.

15. Diode thread starter macrumors 68020

Diode

16. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

That page actually seems to be indicating that using the cracked version of regular MyWi will work, but not the "No Rock" version. Not sure though. Installing the regular cracked one just leaves me at the Settings screen with it spinning (I assume being blocked from looking up whether I have an official plan) and not letting me continue.

Installing the cracked "No Rock" MyWi just crashes MobileSubstrate (just like the uncracked "official" one).

So, whatever our Spanish-speaking friend did, it doesn't seem to be working for me.

17. Lazlow macrumors member

If anyone makes progress with enabling tethering on iOS 4.0 (without AT&T finding out, of course)... sharing the knowledge would be appreciated ;)

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You never know.
    They never did before but if they do now it will really suck.

19. MachAF macrumors newbie

I had my Iphone 3GS 3.1.2 jail broken (old bootrom) and the Commcenter hack (search redmondpie for instructions) along with the ATT Tethering Profile from peacefullnsanity.com.

I updated to iOS 4.0 today, jail broke, and restored. Tethering still works, after the restore I believe the ATT tethering profile from peacefullnsanity was added back. This profile works best i've found, others were causing issues with voicemail and MMS.

Click this link on your iphone to install.

http://m.peacefulinsanity.com/Tether.mobileconfig

Hopefully this works for others. Someone should test just the mobileconfig profile and let me know if that alone works.

20. mansanas macrumors regular

if u use mywi as a wifi hot spot, will they be able to detect is as tethering?

21. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Only by data usage. But for iOS 4, MyFi does not yet work.

22. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I had tethering on my 3GS with- I think- the BenM hack. I know it wasn’t myfi. I restored my iPhone 4 from the 3GS backup, and I still have tethering. I don’t get the ‘contact AT&T’ prompt, can just turn tethering on and off….

23. OceanView macrumors 65816

are you saying you put the older iPhone 3GS OS on the new iPhone 4?

24. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

No, what they are saying is ' I restored my iPhone 4 from the 3GS backup'.
    It's written very clearly.

25. ScKcBc macrumors regular

Ok, so WTF does that mean. I read that has he's running the older OS too. Instead of being a Pr*ck and giving a sarcastic answer, why dont you elaborate or just keep your mouth shut.