Tethering, Free Apps and Swapping phones

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dylanursula, Sep 10, 2010.

1. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Hey all

I am new to the whole JB thing so a few quick questions to those far smarter...

1. If I want to teather my unlimited plan, is there a free app to download to enable this and does it create a hotspot?

2. What are the top 5-6 best free JB apps I should consider?

3. I have 2 iPhone 4s, one JB and one is not. If I change the SIM in between both so AT&T or Apple care? One is the IP4 on my account, and the second is an older IP4 with a chipped screen.

2. choice macrumors regular

How about you using the "search" function on this forum? :rolleyes:

3. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

Like i said I am new to JB and the search did not answer about the free tethering or not that I could see anyway. Any help would be great...

4. Resevdog macrumors regular

There are no true "free" apps for tethering right now. Supposedly, there is a $2 version coming to Cydia or Rock. There was an app on the iTunes store for about 10 minutes that had a hidden tethering function. Your options right now are MyWi and others through Cydia and Rock. I won't condone pirating any app but Google anything and you can probably find a solution.

As for other JB apps, my favorite:
    Winterboard (themes) free
    Makeitmine (changes the banners to whatever you want) free
    Infinidock (scolling dock, very cool) $$$
    sbsettings (quick ui for all your settings, must get) free

Look through the forums and you'll see the same apps over and over. These are usually good indicators of what's good.

Have fun!

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

A simple search for "free tethering" does, in fact, result in free solutions. None of these will create a hotspot, but they do enable USB and BlueTooth tethering. Personally, I use this method.

Some of the best free apps are: SBSettings, iFile, MobileTerminal, WinterBoard (for theming), CyDelete, Five Icon Dock, Five Icon Switcher, FolderCloser, and UAFaker.

Some of the best paid apps are: Safari Download Manager, Cyntact, InfiniDock, Music Controls, PkgBackup, and 3G Unrestrictor.

6. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

thelatinist and Resevdog - thanks so much for the constructive replies, I appreciate it. I will check it all out. Anyone with thoughts on question 3 - "I have 2 iPhone 4s, one JB and one is not. If I change the SIM in between both so AT&T or Apple care? One is the IP4 on my account, and the second is an older IP4 with a chipped screen"

Thanks in advance

7. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

It doesn't matter in the slightest. You've only got one working sim, so as long as you're using one device at a time, whats the difference to att? I switch my sim from my iphone to another phone on a semi regular basis.