Tethering iPad with iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by iPadFan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. iPadFan macrumors newbie

Did anyone try whether it works with non-jailbreak iPhone? Using Bluetooth?
    Thanks.
    :)

2. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

When I turned the bluetooth on, it wouldn't even list my iphone as a bluetooth device.

3. techster82 macrumors member

Buddy with a Nexus One tethered his iPad today via an adhoc connection flawlessly. The coming 3G model seems to be for the rich and lazy.

4. claygill macrumors newbie

I'm connecting via my iPhone 3GS using MyWi. Speed seems just as good as on my Macbook using USB tethering.
    Very pleased.

Naturally this all requires the the iPhone to be jail broken.

5. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

When he said it would not tether he meant it...unless of course you jail break it and prior to 3.13!

6. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Man I wish I wouldn't have updated my 3GS to the latest firmware and bootrom. Cmon Geohot release a new jailbreak!

7. PennStateMatt macrumors newbie

8. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

Very easy to do have to have jailbroken phone and then download mywi for 10 bucks just turn it on then in network setting choose as wifi hub. I abbé noticed at time mywi not activating or taking couple of tries when turning on. It basicay turns phone into wifi spot. Still wondering if it's as fast as having the actual 3g model coming. It's quick enough to save 30 bucks a month

9. CactusHawk macrumors regular

I tethered mine using MiWi as well. Took a whole 5 seconds. The speed is ok but I prefer the WiFi speeds at home.

10. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I do believe this will finally get me to jailbreak my iPhone. Have never done it but will for this.

Kind of hoping AT&T pulls their head out before then and offers a legitimate solution beyond what exists now. Paying 30 a month for the amount of data I use on my iPhone seems criminal, so I certainly could not justify paying any more, especially since it would likely just be replacing data I would have used on the iPhone onto the iPad.

Part of me wants a 3G model for flexibility standpoint, then the other part of me thinks that makes no sense. A real internal battle brewing right now. One part of me says taste great, and one part says less filling as well. Also split on peanut butter and chocolate.

11. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

If you think about it only 1 dollar a day is not that bad in grand scheme of things I guess. Spend more on drinking two cokes during the day or starbucks . Most just don't want to part with it since already paying the man

12. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

My iPhone 3GS is latest FW, I don't think I can jailbreak!

13. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Didn't AT&T speak about offering a tethering solution in the near future, back when the iPhone was announced?

14. shadrap macrumors 6502

I am tethered using the android wifi tether. I can't wait to try it with htc evo 4g.

15. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

Isn't that around like 60 bucks a month

16. jamesthegator macrumors member

What did you do on the iPad to make this happen. I am trying to use pdanet via a windows mobile phone, and I can't even get the iPad to think about connecting.

17. claygill macrumors newbie

I agree, speeds at home using my network are far faster but away from there and at this fringe location, 3G only arrived a few months ago, speeds are just fine.
    MiWi seems to have improved over the releases, normaly I use the carrier file thing to activate USB tethering but obviously that isn't a choice with the iPad .

18. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

Nope, sprint said 4g is added without extra charge. You can connect up to 8 devices, including iPad. Apple fans need to go out side once in a while. AT&T boxes you guys too long.

19. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Do you have to jailbreak your 3GS to use MyWi?

20. yaroldb macrumors 6502

I can't seem to get it to work. It connects. To mywi, but I can't get a web site to pull up. Even though it shows as connected.

21. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Yes. AT&T has so far disallowed tethering (against their initial promise). Apple has disabled the ability of the iPhone to tether. If you jailbreak your iPhone, you can add MyFi and tether your MBP or iPad. If you have updated to 3.13 then you haven't been paying attention. There will not be a jailbreak for 3.13. The next attempt at jail breaking will be OS 4.0. Check it out on the iPhone hacking posts on MacRumors.

22. HXGuy macrumors 68000

That's not true. Geohot announced just last week that he has a 3.1.3 jailbreak and should also work on the iPad. Not sure when he will release it though.

23. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Apparently you haven't been paying attention. There isn't a jailbreak for a 3GS ONLY. Every other iPhone model and the Touch models are jailbroken. I have a 3G on 3.1.3 and I did a jailbreak with it a week ago with Blackra1n. It works just fine. I have SBSettings, MyWi, Intelliscreen, and Backgrounder on it.

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Yep, but I bet it's not free. I think it costs $30/month for BlackBerry.

I'm perturbed that there isn't some solution for iPhone customers who just want a little flexibility at times. It especially sucks when my usage averages about 250MB per month. Create some app for the phone that gives you a certain amount of tethering per month, like maybe 500MB. Charge $10 for it and make a killing.

25. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

have you gone to settings and choosen MYWI on the network??