Tethering iPad with iPhone 3GS

iPadFan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Did anyone try whether it works with non-jailbreak iPhone? Using Bluetooth?
Thanks.
:)

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
When I turned the bluetooth on, it wouldn't even list my iphone as a bluetooth device.

techster82

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2006
Buddy with a Nexus One tethered his iPad today via an adhoc connection flawlessly. The coming 3G model seems to be for the rich and lazy.

claygill

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
I'm connecting via my iPhone 3GS using MyWi. Speed seems just as good as on my Macbook using USB tethering.
Very pleased.

Naturally this all requires the the iPhone to be jail broken.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
When he said it would not tether he meant it...unless of course you jail break it and prior to 3.13!

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Man I wish I wouldn't have updated my 3GS to the latest firmware and bootrom. Cmon Geohot release a new jailbreak!

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
How do you do it using mywi?
Very easy to do have to have jailbroken phone and then download mywi for 10 bucks just turn it on then in network setting choose as wifi hub. I abbé noticed at time mywi not activating or taking couple of tries when turning on. It basicay turns phone into wifi spot. Still wondering if it's as fast as having the actual 3g model coming. It's quick enough to save 30 bucks a month

CactusHawk

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
I tethered mine using MiWi as well. Took a whole 5 seconds. The speed is ok but I prefer the WiFi speeds at home.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I do believe this will finally get me to jailbreak my iPhone. Have never done it but will for this.

Kind of hoping AT&T pulls their head out before then and offers a legitimate solution beyond what exists now. Paying 30 a month for the amount of data I use on my iPhone seems criminal, so I certainly could not justify paying any more, especially since it would likely just be replacing data I would have used on the iPhone onto the iPad.

Part of me wants a 3G model for flexibility standpoint, then the other part of me thinks that makes no sense. A real internal battle brewing right now. One part of me says taste great, and one part says less filling as well. Also split on peanut butter and chocolate.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
If you think about it only 1 dollar a day is not that bad in grand scheme of things I guess. Spend more on drinking two cokes during the day or starbucks . Most just don't want to part with it since already paying the man

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
Didn't AT&T speak about offering a tethering solution in the near future, back when the iPhone was announced?

jamesthegator

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2009
I am tethered using the android wifi tether. I can't wait to try it with htc evo 4g.
What did you do on the iPad to make this happen. I am trying to use pdanet via a windows mobile phone, and I can't even get the iPad to think about connecting.

claygill

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
I tethered mine using MiWi as well. Took a whole 5 seconds. The speed is ok but I prefer the WiFi speeds at home.
I agree, speeds at home using my network are far faster but away from there and at this fringe location, 3G only arrived a few months ago, speeds are just fine.
MiWi seems to have improved over the releases, normaly I use the carrier file thing to activate USB tethering but obviously that isn't a choice with the iPad .

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Isn't that around like 60 bucks a month
Nope, sprint said 4g is added without extra charge. You can connect up to 8 devices, including iPad. Apple fans need to go out side once in a while. AT&T boxes you guys too long.

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
Very easy to do have to have jailbroken phone and then download mywi for 10 bucks just turn it on then in network setting choose as wifi hub. I abbé noticed at time mywi not activating or taking couple of tries when turning on. It basicay turns phone into wifi spot. Still wondering if it's as fast as having the actual 3g model coming. It's quick enough to save 30 bucks a month
I can't seem to get it to work. It connects. To mywi, but I can't get a web site to pull up. Even though it shows as connected.

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
Do you have to jailbreak your 3GS to use MyWi?
Yes. AT&T has so far disallowed tethering (against their initial promise). Apple has disabled the ability of the iPhone to tether. If you jailbreak your iPhone, you can add MyFi and tether your MBP or iPad. If you have updated to 3.13 then you haven't been paying attention. There will not be a jailbreak for 3.13. The next attempt at jail breaking will be OS 4.0. Check it out on the iPhone hacking posts on MacRumors.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
The next attempt at jail breaking will be OS 4.0. Check it out on the iPhone hacking posts on MacRumors.
That's not true. Geohot announced just last week that he has a 3.1.3 jailbreak and should also work on the iPad. Not sure when he will release it though.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
If you have updated to 3.13 then you haven't been paying attention. ... There will not be a jailbreak for 3.13.
Apparently you haven't been paying attention. There isn't a jailbreak for a 3GS ONLY. Every other iPhone model and the Touch models are jailbroken. I have a 3G on 3.1.3 and I did a jailbreak with it a week ago with Blackra1n. It works just fine. I have SBSettings, MyWi, Intelliscreen, and Backgrounder on it.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Didn't AT&T speak about offering a tethering solution in the near future, back when the iPhone was announced?
Yep, but I bet it's not free. I think it costs $30/month for BlackBerry.

I'm perturbed that there isn't some solution for iPhone customers who just want a little flexibility at times. It especially sucks when my usage averages about 250MB per month. Create some app for the phone that gives you a certain amount of tethering per month, like maybe 500MB. Charge $10 for it and make a killing.