Tethering is now available!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kchino, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Kchino macrumors member

Unfortunately it's not for the faint of heart, i.e. if you have no idea how to begin modding your iPhone don't try it!

It relies on some of the tools developed by the iPhone dev team (these guys rock!) and makes use of a new app called srelay.

http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/tether-your-iphone

2. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Using the iPhone as a modem is against the AT&T TOS. It will be interesting to see if AT&T reacts to this.

3. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Using any phone as a modem without the tethering option is against the TOS, yet I know many people (including myself) who do so without incident. The TOS deal is a non-issue, unless you want to take the moral high ground.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Surfing the net on the iPhone on EDGE is painful enough. Going through this just to suffer even more on a laptop? :confused:

5. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Sometimes you NEED an internet connection. I would use my iPhone as a modem, once in a while, if I could.

6. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

This is great! I wonder why AT&T is such a butt about tethering. I suppose they feel it will use more bandwidth than running the web on just your iPhone?

7. Kchino thread starter macrumors member

Yeah unless you are abusing it (tethering), it's not a big deal. It is also likely that someone <hint, hint> will write a nice little app to simplify this process. I'm excited about the potential for upcoming 3rd party apps that give us freedom from Apple. I have a feeling that they are beginning to let the ball slip out of their hands as far providing iPhone users with functionality that is needed .

How about a patch for the web vulnerabilities at least, sheesh, is that asking for too much?

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

The vulnerability that was announced yesterday? :confused:

9. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Hmm, is that right? I assumed that was just for the iPhone. Interesting. I have used tethering before on my SE T637 on AT&T.

10. Kchino thread starter macrumors member

Well I could be mistaken but I'm almost positive there is more than one vulnerability. Also, the security firm ISE informed Apple about several issues on 7/17(along with patches) and plans to report the rest of their findings at the Black Hat Conference on the 2nd of August if Apple doesn't patch them by then.

11. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

12. chrissurra macrumors member

Anyone with a mac try this? It seems to be written for windows. It says open a terminal and "run" tetherify-osx-intel.sh

You cant just run it from the terminal, anyone have any clarity how to do this?

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

You may have to chmod it to be executable before you run it in Terminal.

chmod 755 tetherify-osx-intel.sh

and then

./tetherify-osx-intel.sh

should start the script

14. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Code:
    chmod u+x path/to/tetherify-osx-intel.sh
    Type that in terminal, and then run the script.

If you don't remember the path (or don't want to look), drag the script into Terminal, and it should automagically type the path out for you.

15. tony710 macrumors member

16. chrissurra macrumors member

Im getting

-bash: ./tetherify-osx-intel.sh: Permission denied

17. aristobrat macrumors G5

Give yourself permission. Use the command from After G's post two up...

18. tony710 macrumors member

I just tried it out of curiosity and got some errors.

I got it to run with: sh tetherify-osx-intel.sh

But it wouldn't run because the script had parenthesis in the echo lines. I removed those and it looked like it was running (went through the phases) but it wasn't copying any files to either the phone or off the phone.

Then I tried just typing everything out manually that the scripts had but iphoneinterface said 'getfile' wasn't supported.

19. chrissurra macrumors member

Thry doing it running jailbreak but not iphoneinterface. Thats what I had to do to get it to recognize any unix commands.

20. tony710 macrumors member

I had already run jailbreak and it rebooted the phone. I could/can run iphoneinterface and copy ringtones/png files over but I couldn't get it to properly run this script.

Seems some OS X users over at howardforums are having the issue as well but Windows users are reporting success.

I think I'll just wait for someone smarter than I to sort it out ;)

21. chrissurra macrumors member

Seems written for windows with Macs as an afterthought. Oh well us mac guys had the ringtones first, we will have to wait a few days for tethering.

22. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I for one am very excited this application was created. At my summerhouse, leeching off the neighbors network doesnt always work. Not to mention being on the road or on vacation, this app can save the day.

Thanks to all those involved in creating it!

23. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

25. aristobrat macrumors G5

Hmph. TUAW was over MacRumors in his Safari bookmarks. Blasphemy! :eek::D